Sram Force AXS front derailleur wide/normal?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Are there two versions of the latest Force front derailleur, normal and wide? If so will the wide version work on the larger chainrings? Theres a video on the Sram site that says the wide version is only for the 43/30 chain rings but I think this is for the previous generation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rawjunk

by rawjunk

You can yes, I'm running such a set-up.

Refer here for the details: https://bikerumor.com/sram-force-axs-wi ... de-review/

Basically they’re ALL cross compatible, here’s how it works:

The new “Wide” crankset uses a 5mm wider spindle, adding 2.5mm width per side.

All of SRAM’s 12-speed chainrings sets will mount to that wider spindle.

They will have a 2.5mm wider chainline once mounted to the wider spindle.

The Force Wide front derailleur sits 2.5mm farther out from the seat tube.

If you want to run any of SRAM’s 12-speed chainrings on the wider spindle, you need to use the Wide front derailleur.

So, yes, you can put the 50/37, 48/35, and 46,33 chainring combos on it, but you’ll need to get the 107bcd spider with them because the 43/30 compact chainring combo that comes on the wider spindle uses a smaller 94bcd spider.

The wider spindle comes with the new 43/30 chainring combo installed, it’s not sold separately yet.
I found this on Reddit while searching for the same thing. I ordered a bike with wide 43/30 Rival crankset, so if I ordex 46/33 crankset with same crank lenght I could combine them and make 46/33 wide? :)

wilwil

by wilwil

Will it work with a standard width chainset though?

dzl

by dzl

rawjunk wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:36 pm
I ordered a bike with wide 43/30 Rival crankset, so if I ordex 46/33 crankset with same crank lenght I could combine them and make 46/33 wide? :)
Yes, you should be able to. I did this very thing with Force AXS. I ordered the wide crankset that comes with 43/30 rings and also a normal width crankset with 46/33 rings. Then I assembled the 46/33 rings + right side crankarm to the WIDE version spindle + left crank arm. The 46/33 combo works fine with the WIDE front derailleur.

One thing to keep in mind for RIVAL.....all 2x RIVAL cranksets use a one piece spider + crankarm assembly; meaning the spider is integrated into the drive-side crankarm (unlike Force and Red where the spider is a separate part).
Based on what you want to do, this shoudn't be a problem for you though.
Last edited by dzl on Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dzl

by dzl

wilwil wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:52 pm
Will it work with a standard width chainset though?
The WIDE front derailleur will work fine with 46/33 rings.

I'm not sure if the WIDE front derailleur will work well with a standard width crankset, since the derailleur is shifting outward away from the frame by 2.5 (but the chainrings won't be).

I DO know that a standard front derailleur will work OK with a WIDE crankset, but just barely. You basically have to set the high limit at its max position. I wasn't really comfortable with not have any additional high limit adjustment, so in the end, I purchased the WIDE version of the front derailleur to work with the WIDE crankset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rawjunk

by rawjunk

dzl wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:48 pm
rawjunk wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:36 pm
I ordered a bike with wide 43/30 Rival crankset, so if I ordex 46/33 crankset with same crank lenght I could combine them and make 46/33 wide? :)
Yes, you should be able to. I did this very thing with Force AXS. I ordered the wide crankset that comes with 43/30 rings and also a normal width crankset with 46/33 rings. Then I assembled the 46/33 rings + right side crankarm to the WIDE version spindle + left crank arm. The 46/33 combo works fine with the WIDE front derailleur.

One thing to keep in mind for RIVAL.....all 2x RIVAL cranksets use a one piece spider + crankarm assembly; meaning the spider is integrated into the drive-side crankarm (unlike Force and Red where the spider is a separate part).
Based on what you want to do, this shoudn't be a problem for you though.
Thanks for the confirmation! Too bad SRAM doesn't sell wide cranksets in different configurations.