Saddle: Bontrager Aeolus alternatives? or where to buy Pro or RSL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tireheb

by tireheb

well that, my bikefitter recommended me this saddle, but the lighter versions are a bit pricey (pro/rsl, 230e/330e), so im looking for alternatives, or maybe someone has one used who knows.
seems most online shops cant send here (to spain) due to dealers agreements (you know what i mean, dont know the correct term).
thanks. just looked in google but nothing really worthy there atm.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I don't have advice specific alternatives, but the Aeolus is a common shape. There are many saddles from many brands that have a similar profile. I wouldn't get stuck on the Bontrager if it is hard to obtain. Try a few saddles with a similar shape. It would be interesting to know why your fitter recommended the Aeolus.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:03 pm
I don't have advice specific alternatives, but the Aeolus is a common shape. There are many saddles from many brands that have a similar profile. I wouldn't get stuck on the Bontrager if it is hard to obtain. Try a few saddles with a similar shape. It would be interesting to know why your fitter recommended the Aeolus.
To tack on to Mr. Gib, scroll through the FamousAliExpress thread. There's a bunch of saddle reccoas in there; I'm sure one matches (or comes close) the dimensions of the Aeolus.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The Pro Stealth Curved has a very similar shape, albeit with a narrower nose than the Aeolus.

tireheb

by tireheb

Mr.Gib wrote:
It would be interesting to know why your fitter recommended the Aeolus.
cause he had it there and we could empirically test it

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

tireheb wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:50 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
It would be interesting to know why your fitter recommended the Aeolus.
cause he had it there and we could empirically test it
That's what I thought. Maybe it's the perfect saddle for you, or maybe not. A few weeks of big kms is really the only test. As per smartyiac above, the similar saddles from Ali Express might be a good way to test before making a big investment.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

js

by js

I'd been pretty happy with the Aeolus previously (could only afford the Elite level I think, as they are expensive), after trying Spec Power and Pro Stealth.

When the Pro Stealth Curved came out though, I was very happy to find that one fit just as well. It's not as softly padded as the Bontrager, but that doesn't matter when it's supporting me the right way. I was also able to get the Team version on a deal, which is way lighter too.

Hopefully that means there's a good chance it would be a near-equal option for you too, and it seems an easier model to find deals on or ship across borders.

milanv

by milanv

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:16 pm
The Pro Stealth Curved has a very similar shape, albeit with a narrower nose than the Aeolus.
:thumbup: I have it on all my three bikes.

tireheb

by tireheb

BdaGhisallo wrote:
js wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:06 pm
When the Pro Stealth Curved came out though, I was very happy to find that one fit just as well. It's not as softly padded as the Bontrager, but that doesn't matter when it's supporting me the right way. I was also able to get the Team version on a deal, which is way lighter too.
milanv wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:20 pm
does the pro stealth curved have a rise in the back like the aeolus has? because thats one of the things i need as i tend to sit too far back, thus this rise helps me move forward. its difficult to judge with internet pictures. thanks!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

tireheb wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:07 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
js wrote:
milanv wrote:
does the pro stealth curved have a rise in the back like the aeolus has? because thats one of the things i need as i tend to sit too far back, thus this rise helps me move forward. its difficult to judge with internet pictures. thanks!

Yes, it does. This image from our host, Starbike, shows the ramp at the back.

https://www.starbike.com/images/2021/pr ... -hires.jpg

milanv

by milanv

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:18 pm
tireheb wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:07 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
js wrote:
milanv wrote:

Yes, it does. This image from our host, Starbike, shows the ramp at the back.

https://www.starbike.com/images/2021/pr ... -hires.jpg
I can confirm this information, back support is one of its benefits for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com