New Bike: Roubaix or Roadmachine

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stky

by Stky

I am being a little indecisive and could really hear some opinions on which bike to choose: BMC Roadmachine Five or 2024 Specialized Roubaix SL8 Comp.

In terms of specs I would consider them comparable because I'll likely change wheels, bars, and seat anyways because most don't fit me. Outside of that, Roubaix allows for 40mm tires and BMC is 33. I'd plan for a 32mm. BMC frame has an astm category of 2 vs teammachine with 1. I don't know what it is for the Roubaix.

And I can get them within $200 of each other so I don't see price as a motivating factor. If it was $1000 difference then maybe it would sway me one way.

2024 Roubaix has the 3.0 future shock - I have no experience with it.

How I'll use it, daily rides during the week somewhere between casual and sprints for 30-40km. Weekends mixed, with distances up to 100km+. Gravel rides for me would really be hard packed trails, not muddy and not rocky.

Opinions appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

I strongly dislike the future shock (having seen several break in service), so my vote would be the BMC. Plus I think the BMC looks better.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

I got rid of my 2021 Roubaix because of the future shock.

If I'm honest, I didn't hate it in operation but I noticed it far more in a negative fashion than I did it having a positive impact, but that wasn't the main problem. It suffered with water ingress after just a year which meant it got sticky and eventually seized.

I was able to disassemble, clean it up, grease it and reassemble it but it was never as smooth again because the flat bearing surface was damaged from scorring and corroson, and I didn't want to spent £300+ on a new future shock, so I sold it.

TL;DR: unless you feel like you really need that suspension, avoid it!

BenCousins

by BenCousins

It's always interesting how pros state they had the best equipment while on a BMC supplied team and that many pros chose BMC if for some reason they are without a bike sponsor.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

future shock blows, but the roadmachine seems due/overdue for a new model
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jayjay

by jayjay

How about a Cervelo Caledonia or a Canyon Endurace?

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I had a road machine for a couple of years - I have a team machine now. FWIW the road machine was ok but the team machine is a whole different level, but that might not be right for you.

I looked into getting 'quiver killer' bike last year as you describe but I'm not sure a road machine is that mainly due to its tyre clearance.

Probably comes down to how much gravel you intend to ride, if it's 50/50 I'd be looking at something like a Trek Checkpoint, you then have the flexibility to ride more off-road if you choose to.

Not ridden a Roubaix so can't directly comment on that, but I can't say I ever felt the need for suspension on my road or gravel bikes.

sigma

by sigma

I would take a look at the Argon18 Krypton as well as perhaps Domane too. I have found the futureshock to be mildly effective on my Roubaix but I find the bike a bit too unexciting for my taste (probably same for the regular Domane). Quite fond of the Argon.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Stky

by Stky

jayjay wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:33 pm
I just started to look at a Canyon Endurace as the sizing is almost perfect. Though a small bike comes with a 172.5 crank and a 90mm stem. Everyone at Canyon has a different answer when asked if I could buy a new integrated, longer stem. Some say yes and some say no. I need to change the crank at an added cost.

Stky

by Stky

sigma wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:51 pm
I would take a look at the Argon18 Krypton as well as perhaps Domane too. I have found the futureshock to be mildly effective on my Roubaix but I find the bike a bit too unexciting for my taste (probably same for the regular Domane). Quite fond of the Argon.
Thanks. The Domane is a perfect fit for me but something about it rubs me the wrong way. Don't know what it is.

I like the look of the Krypton but have not been able to find one in the right price range.

Stky

by Stky

Thank you all.
Looks like Roubaix is out.
BMC is an emotional pick.
Expand search to Domane, endurace and krypton.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Stky wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:43 pm
jayjay wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:33 pm
I just started to look at a Canyon Endurace as the sizing is almost perfect. Though a small bike comes with a 172.5 crank and a 90mm stem. Everyone at Canyon has a different answer when asked if I could buy a new integrated, longer stem. Some say yes and some say no. I need to change the crank at an added cost.
You've already hit the issue with Canyon as a company. Steer clear.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I hate how most "Endurance" bikes have heavy complicated and gimmicky suspension systems. There needs to be more light and aero bikes with endurance geometry.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Another vote for the Cervelo Caledonia and Canyon Endurace (if it fits you out of the box).

I'd also add a few more non-gimmicky, yet comfortable options:
- Lauf Uthald: https://escapecollective.com/lauf-uthald-review/
- Giant Defy (2024): https://escapecollective.com/2024-giant ... ed-review/
- Vitus Venon Evo: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/b ... ike-review

I would not get the Roadmachine this late into the product life cycle. The successor is apparently right around the corner.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Haggarty

by Haggarty

Roadmachine owner here and I would definitely recommend - it’s a really comfortable ride and looks great IMO. Worth it (again IMO) if you can stretch to an 01 model for the integration.
If you’re looking for more tyre clearance I’d suggest looking at the roadmachine X.

A new RM is definitely on the way and pics have been leaked but availability may depend on where you are located - I’ve heard there is currently no distributor for BMC in the UK anymore.

Otherwise Caledonia-5 would be my other choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com