Venge to Tarmac sl8 , upgrade or not?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Charlie69

by Charlie69

Has anybody gone from the 2020 Venge to the Tarmac sl8?
Is it a significant upgrade or not?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I would suspect that in terms of aero, there'd be a slight upgrade, but not not much because the Venge was such an aero bike and the SL8 only shows a slight improvement over the SL7 which was supposed to pretty much be equal to the Venge.. and probably most of the upgrade would be in the cockpit of the SL8.

Probably there would be a more noticiable difference in ride quality and a signifigant decrease in weight. Ride quality can be hard to quantify in a figure, unless you get on a bike. Weight is an easy number to quantify, but unless you do a lot of climbing, it really doesn't make much difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

SL8 should be slower, with equivalent wheels and cockpit. But it will be a lot lighter. Front end probably a lot stiffer on the Venge. Pick your poison.

Maddie

by Maddie

My Venge is sub 7kg with 58mm wheels and 28mm gp5000s tr. It still is a fantastic bike. I have ridden an SL8 with the same wheels and I see no reason to switch. I also prefer the looks of the Venge

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I get my new SL8 Ready to Paint frame on Monday, hoping for 660g ish which is quite amazing. Coming from Factor Ostro at 826g but with 100g heavier fork.

The new Ostro is another 200g on top of that, meaning that the SL8 is 4 to 450g lighter than the Ostro V2.

I'm not sure that the SL8 is more aero than the Venge. My intuition would say no, but the marketing seems to say yes.

The Venge was designed as a pure aero bike, with little concession to anything else. Not sure how a much lighter, much skinnier framed SL8 could be more aero.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ive got a Venge and have an SL8 frameset on order since release in Chameleon tint, but the arrival date shifted from February into April now, so hopefully will have it soon... I did put the new Roval Rapide bars on the Venge... I know comparing my Venge to my SL6 rim, they are two entirely different bikes.. the Venge to me is the stiff made for speed at all costs bike, while the tarmac is the more forgiving but still fast overall bike... Did I need the SL8, nope.... did I want something new, yep :lol:

gorandotcom

by gorandotcom

I made that switch. I do prefer the look of the Venge, but the SL8 is an upgrade for sure. It's lighter, more comfortable, especially on long rides, and feels faster, especially off the line or sprinting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-works Tarmac SL8

Charlie69

by Charlie69

Thanks for all the replies.... I didn't change to Sl7 as it didn't seem like an upgrade at all . I also have the rapide clx wheels and rapide cockpit on the venge so I would think it's at least as aero as the Sl 8 now.

A friend of mine has gone from venge to sl8 and he's delighted with the lower weight and extra comfort. I do like to climb so I'm torn .

Mocs123

by Mocs123

The Venge frame is probably more aero, I mean despite the marketing, I think the SL7 frame is more aero than the SL8 frame, but the new one peice cockpit on the SL8 is what makes the difference. It's hard to deny the SL8 is a super light frame however and pretty aero. Unless you do a lot of climbing, I doubt it's much of a upgrade as far as speed, but it's lighter so it should climb better, and is probabably more comfortable. Personally, I think the 2020 Venge frame is one of the best looking frames and does look better than the SL8.

Is it an upgrade? I don't really think so, but they're differnt bikes so it could be an upgrade or a downgrade to you depending on your priorities.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Charlie69 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:58 am
Has anybody gone from the 2020 Venge to the Tarmac sl8?
Is it a significant upgrade or not?
Oh, i'd never change a Venge for an SL8.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

There's zero chance the SL8 is as aero as the Venge with he same wheels and cockpit. The Venge also looks 10x better. I had it in 58cm with 65mm wheels under 7kg, with no exotic components. You'll save half a bottle of weight with the SL8 but my vote goes to the Venge.

caballero

by caballero

Keep the venge. Wish I could find a nos one....

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I know this is weightweenies after all, but seems like a step backwards. I'm not even a Spesh fan and I think that Venge is one of the best bikes around. SL8 would net you a few seconds on long climbs but unless you're at an elite level of fitness I'd keep that Venge. SL8 would be a very marginal upgrade and only in some respects, not significant at all
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elliotb

by elliotb

I've got a 2020 Venge, with Roval Rapide CLX wheelset (V1). Feels like not much of an upgrade, but depends on your riding. I'm about to move to the roval rapide cockpit, so will be c.7.5kg for a 61cm with largelt ultegra which feels pretty light for what it is. Love of feeling of speed with the Venge, but haven't ridden the SL7/SL8.