New Bike build frame choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Sander7721 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:24 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:04 am
LRB23 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:42 pm
Does anyone have any good recommendations for BB’s? I’m not familiar with BBright. I’m looking for something suitable for DUB standard, using an after market crank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBinfinite make some great Bottom Brackets. I'd recommend any of theirs before other brands if you want to only buy it once.
Hey Skinnybex

Now I am readimg your posts to be nosey lol :lol:
I was goimg to recommend Hambini BB's as this is what I use but however as usual his BB's are out of stock!
https://www.hambini.com/crankset-type/dub/
I forgot about Hambini as thats a good shout. I've never owned one but everything I've read on here says they have amazing tolerances.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Sander7721

by Sander7721

skinnybex wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:19 am
Sander7721 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:24 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:04 am
LRB23 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:42 pm
Does anyone have any good recommendations for BB’s? I’m not familiar with BBright. I’m looking for something suitable for DUB standard, using an after market crank

BBinfinite make some great Bottom Brackets. I'd recommend any of theirs before other brands if you want to only buy it once.
Hey Skinnybex

Now I am readimg your posts to be nosey lol :lol:
I was goimg to recommend Hambini BB's as this is what I use but however as usual his BB's are out of stock!
https://www.hambini.com/crankset-type/dub/
I forgot about Hambini as thats a good shout. I've never owned one but everything I've read on here says they have amazing tolerances.
They are great if you can get one!
SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnybex

by skinnybex

skinnybex wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 pm
I'll be back home March 13 and can post some pictures then of the Avian. I had them 3d print the spacers which fit perfectly when I ordered the bar. I'm on my way to Lisbon and then Algarve for some work and riding after but unfortunately looks like rain for my 4 days of riding
I'm back from Portugal but unfortunately I bailed on the riding portion of my trip due to constant rain. Just did a ride this morning on my R5. Pictures below of my current setup with the Avian Canary 36-120mm bar. Bike weight as pictured including Taillight but no Computer is 6.35kg and that's with an entire Sram Force groupset excluding the crank arms which are Red.
Attachments
IMG_6078.jpeg
IMG_6081.jpeg
IMG_6082.jpeg
IMG_6077.jpeg
IMG_6083.jpeg
IMG_6086.jpeg
IMG_6085.jpeg
IMG_6088.jpeg
IMG_6079.jpeg

kofsw4

by kofsw4

That looks fantastic! Sorry to hear about the rain during your trip.

Did Avian supply all the parts under the stem - top cap, spacers and transition? I expected it to only be a specific transition from the Cervelo spacers to the bar but it looks great like.

I've ordered a set of 380x120 Falcon IIs for my Caledonia 5.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

kofsw4 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:13 pm

Did Avian supply all the parts under the stem - top cap, spacers and transition? I expected it to only be a specific transition from the Cervelo spacers to the bar but it looks great like.

I paid $30usd for the appropriate 3d printed Transition/spacer kit when I ordered. It was an option in the drop down menu. Even though they list the R5 and Cal5 separately I believe they are the exact same parts. The Canary bar itself included the generic Spacer stack, Top cap and out front computer mount and parts for the different brand comps.

LRB23

by LRB23

skinnybex wrote:
skinnybex wrote:
I'll be back home March 13 and can post some pictures then of the Avian. I had them 3d print the spacers which fit perfectly when I ordered the bar. I'm on my way to Lisbon and then Algarve for some work and riding after but unfortunately looks like rain for my 4 days of riding
I'm back from Portugal but unfortunately I bailed on the riding portion of my trip due to constant rain. Just did a ride this morning on my R5. Pictures below of my current setup with the Avian Canary 36-120mm bar. Bike weight as pictured including Taillight but no Computer is 6.35kg and that's with an entire Sram Force groupset excluding the crank arms which are Red.
Lush set up. I really hope I can get my R5 build to as low as 6.4kgs. Is that a Darimo seat post? Is it worth upgrading? Looks like you can save around 100g on the post alone.

My build is looking something like:
R5 with Ultegra
Dura Ace cassette
Cybrei crank - still shopping for chain rings.
Avian Fallcon II bars (was nervous about the flex. Probably would have been fine)
Galfer discs
Far Sports Hyper 40mm
Tyres are a question mark but would like to try Challenge Criteriums.

Any other components worth swapping out?

skinnybex

by skinnybex

I'm using the Helix seat post. It saves about 70 grams over the stock post and clamp and it's been solid. 4.5nm max torque and lots of Carbon paste with no slippage issues. I paid $110 for the post.

LRB23

by LRB23

skinnybex wrote:
kofsw4 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:13 pm

I paid $30usd for the appropriate 3d printed Transition/spacer kit when I ordered. It was an option in the drop down menu. Even though they list the R5 and Cal5 separately I believe they are the exact same parts. The Canary bar itself included the generic Spacer stack, Top cap and out front computer mount and parts for the different brand comps.
@skinnybex did you use a wedge for the D shaped steerer with the Avian handlebars? I’m starting my build next week. Can it simply clamp onto the steerer tube?

LRB23

by LRB23

skinnybex wrote:
skinnybex wrote:
What size frame? Really impressed by your build weight.