Best/worst electronic rim brake shifter ergonomics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biwa

by biwa

Getting an electronic groupset for my rim brake bike. Have been using Shimano (mechanical) so far, and wonder if I should stick to it or trying out the other two if better. I've read SRAM AXS are bad due to long/bulky shifter body, but wonder if it's an easy fix by adjusting the lever reach. Campy looks nice and slim in pics but hard to find one to try in person.

People with real first-hand experiences across multiple brands please chime in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Not sure what ergonomics you are asking for specifically but I currently ride both 11spd etap and axs in rim versions. There is nothing bulky about axs rim version at all. It is very similar length and width wise to 11spd etap imo. I have always run Sram. Red22 felt pretty close to axs also. There are no big changes rim brake wise across the lineup imo. The hydraulic versions are another story. It could be a false memory but 10 speed red felt the bulkiest out of all.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

All are good for rim. Campy is the most different but very ergonomic with different sculpting for hand positions to the other two. Shimano has the least pronounced top bulge.

Ive ridden or owned the following rim groupsets:
Shimano 11s mech (both generations)
Shimano 12s di2
SRAM Red22
SRAM etap
Campy 12s v4 EPS

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I had AXS rim, and I got rid of it because the lever hoods were so uncomfortable. Campagnolo EPS is much better. Campy 12s mechanical has the same shape as EPS.
I've only been on shimano di2 rim once. I would but it between Campy and AXS.

(My comments on AXS are only about rim brake. The disc levers are very different)

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I was very happy with my R8050 shifters
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

DaveS

by DaveS

I had force AXS rim brake levers, after 25 years on Campy. No problem for me. Now on D1 Force hydraulic, still no problem for my small hands. I suspect some users aren't too adept at positioning the levers and/or never use a little foam rubber to improve comfort. A thin foam called camper seal in the right place can smooth the transition from brake hood to bar.

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Pro ... 909&sr=8-5
Last edited by DaveS on Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobones

by bobones

biwa wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:22 am
Getting an electronic groupset for my rim brake bike. Have been using Shimano (mechanical) so far, and wonder if I should stick to it or trying out the other two if better. I've read SRAM AXS are bad due to long/bulky shifter body, but wonder if it's an easy fix by adjusting the lever reach. Campy looks nice and slim in pics but hard to find one to try in person.

People with real first-hand experiences across multiple brands please chime in.
I've got rim AXS, 105 r7000 rim and D1 disc AXS. The rim AXS hoods are small and comfortable to me, the 105 are pretty similar, maybe slightly bigger. Both are much smaller and thinner than the D1 disc AXS shifters, so maybe those are what you've read are long and bulky, as that desciption doesn't match the rim shifters imo.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Worth bearing in mind, that there can be quite a bit of variation in reach between brands which can affect your fit as well. Seem to remember Shimano was the longest, then Campy then SRAM - I don't have a rim brake bike anymore to check so please correct me if this isn't accurate anymore.

robertbb

by robertbb

Shimano Di2 electronic rim shifters are really, really nice. 11s/12s are almost identical, maybe the buttons on 12s are a bit more refined.

biwa

by biwa

joeyb1000 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:22 pm
I had AXS rim, and I got rid of it because the lever hoods were so uncomfortable.
What specifically makes them so uncomfortable?

Lina

by Lina

Do not listen to other people about shoe, shifter, or saddle recommendations. Our bodies are different and what might work for someone might be awful for you. The only way you'll figure out which shifters work the best for your hands is to try them all out somewhere.

steveadore

by steveadore

OtterSpace wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:32 am
All are good for rim. Campy is the most different but very ergonomic with different sculpting for hand positions to the other two. Shimano has the least pronounced top bulge.

Ive ridden or owned the following rim groupsets:
Shimano 11s mech (both generations)
Shimano 12s di2
SRAM Red22
SRAM etap
Campy 12s v4 EPS
What are the main differences (if any) btw. the second generation Shimano Di2 11s and 12s? I've read that the 12s hood are slightly longer (increasing effective reach by ~5mm more or less), but I'm not sure that is also the case with the rim brake version of the 12s or just the the disc brake one (since the rim brake version is basically a repurposed 11s brifter).
And to hijack the topic, another concern I have about the 12s is issues with chain drop due to the absence of limit screws on the front der. + overshifting/trimming tech. Is that a real issue compared to the 11s in your experience?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

robertbb wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:17 pm
Shimano Di2 electronic rim shifters are really, really nice. 11s/12s are almost identical, maybe the buttons on 12s are a bit more refined.
The Shimano 9150 and 9250 rim brake shifters are identical, other than the updated DI2 ports. They are the same hood and lever shape. The hood cover material is updated to the 9250 style but they are functionally and ergonomically identical.

steveadore

by steveadore

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:15 am
robertbb wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:17 pm
The Shimano 9150 and 9250 rim brake shifters are identical, other than the updated DI2 ports. They are the same hood and lever shape. The hood cover material is updated to the 9250 style but they are functionally and ergonomically identical.
So only the disc brake shifter hoods have a longer reach (12s compared to 11s), right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

Lina wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:15 am
Do not listen to other people about shoe, shifter, or saddle recommendations. Our bodies are different and what might work for someone might be awful for you. The only way you'll figure out which shifters work the best for your hands is to try them all out somewhere.
Actually it's even more different for shifters: people have different feet and backsides, but they all want the same result from shoes and saddles. But for shifters, expectations are wildly different. It's at least as much about differences in taste as it is about differences in hand shape and size. Even if we all had exactly the same hands, we would still prefer very different hoods. Some long for that one perfect grip where the hand snaps into place like the parts of a plastic toy, others long for variety in positions so much that they'd consider it a failure if one position fit so well that it starves out all the others.