12spd Di2 Battery, Wires , Etc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Wireless updating of all components on 12 speed. Shifters have to be wired though. Either pull your battery or disconnect the front derailleur and connect a junction and another wire to the shifter, update and move the wire to the other shifter.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:25 pm
Siriuslux wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:29 pm
I have also read the procedure on bettershifting.com to update the shift levers on the 12 speed Dura Ace, what I don't understand is what kind of cables are needed, where to get them and how to hook them up for the update process.
Any help appreciated, thanks.
Your bike shop can sell you a 1200mm normal Di2 cable. Remove your seatpost to expose the battery and plug the 1200mm wire into the empty 3rd port on the battery and into the right shifter. Use the charging cable to connect a laptop to the rear derailleur and use Shimano's "E-Tube" app to perform the update*. Move the cable to the left shifter and repeat.

*I'm used to 11spd. On 12spd can this also be done wirelessly via the phone app?
The 12-speed charging cable is not a PC interface cable, and does not work with e-Tube Project. So yeah, it can be done via de phone app. It is the only way ;-)
(besides using the SM-PCE02, of course)

Other than that, yeah... get a 1200mm EW-SD300 cable and then connect that to the 3rd port on the battery and an empty port on the shifter (NOT the bottom port :)).

kafreeman

by kafreeman

TerryDi2C wrote:

Other than that, yeah... get a 1200mm EW-SD300 cable and then connect that to the 3rd port on the battery and an empty port on the shifter (NOT the bottom port :)).
That took me a minute.... updated one shifter then plugged the other in on the bottom... no shifter attached... what?

Top port only!

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

kafreeman wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:13 am
TerryDi2C wrote:

That took me a minute.... updated one shifter then plugged the other in on the bottom... no shifter attached... what?

Top port only!

Weird. Di2 used to not care what port you used. They were all interchangable.
Last edited by Lelandjt on Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Lelandjt wrote:
kafreeman wrote:
TerryDi2C wrote:

Top port only!

E-tube is the top port... I was going to wire battery to shifter to shifter but still needs a junction in there. Decided to see how long the batteries would last.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Lelandjt wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:38 pm
kafreeman wrote:
TerryDi2C wrote:

Top port only!

Di2 doesn't care, but the bottom port is a satellite shifter port - just like the ones on 11-speed rim brake shifters :)