Campagnolo EPS (wired) restored to factory website

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

joeyb1000 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:10 pm
I am a little surprised. I'm also surprised that neither groupset is available for rim brake riders to upgrade their bikes to 12s.but knowing that replacement parts will be available is a good thing.

I still think rebadging EPS as Record would have been better. Wholesale prices on EPS and WRL are too close.
Just to gently correct - although the emphasis on EPS is disc brake - the rim brake variation is still available, stock on hand at the factory, dual pivot & DM.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikercr

by bikercr

I think you all may find this pretty exciting. VF Group-Bardiani CSF-Faizanè team, the only UCI professional team (I know of) riding Campagnolo Super Record Wireless, is now one of three wildcard team invites to this year's Giro d'Italia. This will give the cycling world another chance to see Campy WRL in action in a major World Tour stage race. Here's the link to the news story:

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/ra ... -wildcards
S-Works Tarmac SL6 (2019) w/Campy SR EPS v4 12-speed hydro;
S-Works Tarmac SL3 (2010) w/Campy SR 12-speed mechanical rim

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

bikercr wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:19 pm
I think you all may find this pretty exciting. VF Group-Bardiani CSF-Faizanè team, the only UCI professional team (I know of) riding Campagnolo Super Record Wireless, is now one of three wildcard team invites to this year's Giro d'Italia. This will give the cycling world another chance to see Campy WRL in action in a major World Tour stage race. Here's the link to the news story:

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/ra ... -wildcards
Bardiani CSF are in the Giro every year.

bikercr

by bikercr

I don't follow Bardiani in particular, but I'm curious how the new WRL groupset fares when all the team's riders are using it. Last year, I think only 2 riders on AG2R used WRL, and not for every race. This will be a real test of its reliability.

KLittler

by KLittler

It doesn't make any sense to me that Campagnolo would entirely discontinue Centaur 11 (unless they are going to bring in a new 12-speed version), given that Shimano has now moved 105 to disc-brake only, whether in Mechanical or Di2 guise and Ultegra to Di2 only and SRAM has gone either to disc or AXS or both,

That makes Centaur 11, the most affordable high-quality mechanical groupset. They might not get a whole lot more OEM orders than they did previously but anyone looking to/needing to put a new groupset on a rim brake bike without Di2 routing essentially has only Centaur 11 (or higher Campagnolo groups) to choose from or drop to lesser Shimano offerings like Tiagra, etc.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

bikercr wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:40 pm
I don't follow Bardiani in particular, but I'm curious how the new WRL groupset fares when all the team's riders are using it. Last year, I think only 2 riders on AG2R used WRL, and not for every race. This will be a real test of its reliability.
Test of its reliability in the TV breakaway on every flat stage.

bikercr

by bikercr

I guess that's better than nothing at all... but just barely.

usr

by usr

KLittler wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:12 pm
It doesn't make any sense to me that Campagnolo would entirely discontinue Centaur 11 (unless they are going to bring in a new 12-speed version), given that Shimano has now moved 105 to disc-brake only, whether in Mechanical or Di2 guise and Ultegra to Di2 only and SRAM has gone either to disc or AXS or both,

That makes Centaur 11, the most affordable high-quality mechanical groupset. They might not get a whole lot more OEM orders than they did previously but anyone looking to/needing to put a new groupset on a rim brake bike without Di2 routing essentially has only Centaur 11 (or higher Campagnolo groups) to choose from or drop to lesser Shimano offerings like Tiagra, etc.
A shame though that they did not make their 11s "last group standing" ultra-shift. How much could it have cannibalized Chorus sales, considering the absence of a disc option and the short coexistence with 11s Chorus?

Power-shift certainly works, it's not as if races had been lost left and right in the mechanical age by Shimano or Sram riders due to inability to dump the chain right multiple cogs in a single finger action, but ultra-shift feels good, like a little pat on the back for choosing Campagnolo whenever you idly roll past a crest and realize that you're treading air once the legs are back in the game. I suspect that an alternate timeline where Campagnolo never did the 2010-2011 Athena downgrade (and kept ultra for its successors Potenza and Centaur) would have noticeably more Campagnolo buyers today, through the whole range of EPS, WRL and mechanical. Certainly not a lot more, but noticeably.

KLittler

by KLittler

Definitely prefer the ultra-shift but these days my riding doesn't really require the instantaneous three up/five down. I find that I can downshift pretty quickly across the cassette when the grade sharpens but admittedly the upshifts are a fair bit slower on the crest.

I did just put my (modest) money where my mouth is in buying the pieces for the Centaur 11 group from Starbike (partly because I want a silver groupset as a long-term back-up for a couple of classic bikes, having watched Potenza vapourize so quickly), though in the end I will probably just spring for the Ritchey Road Logic, which I've been Jonesing since forever, live with the extra <pound over Chorus and then try to get the rotating weight down with a light wheelset (probablt the DCR Standard, which is 1420-something grams).