ceramic bearings degreaser

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kilo

by kilo

Hi friends, I have a C-bear Bottom Bracket and I want to do some maintenance, clean and lubricate, what degreaser do you recommend? I was looking at the CERAMICSPEED Bearing Cleaner UFO but I would like to know other products.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

Ordinary mineral spirits/naphtha/camp stove fuel should work fine.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

I have and am still using this to degrease my ceramic bearings sitting inside the frame
https://muc-off.com/products/bio-degreaser-500-ml

Only need to do it once a year. Doing it for a friend next month too.

I would like to try this one though. Looks great on paper, not sure how it is different or if any better than Muc off. But looks good on paper
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/peaty-s ... -degreaser

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Whatever you use for metal bearings.
Ceramic is even more inert. :smartass:

A lot of these brand name cleaning products are WAY overpriced.
I'd rather spend my money elsewhere (or save).

aeroskii

by aeroskii

I would be carefull with muc off products on plastic (see muc off breaking 4iiii and stages) and the cages on most of these "premium" ceramic bearings are plastic (cause they are cheapshit scams lol)

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

In addition to what's been said, I also rinse them with acetone and blow them out. I know this is overkill, but it clears out any degreaser before I put new lube in.

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

Finishlines' disc brake cleaner works fine. Quickly evaporate after use and is not as nasty as normal oily degreasersthat needs rinse over and over to make sure no left over. Also cleans stubborn grease like Shimano's green grease much quicker and more effectively than something like a chain degreaser.

But it could too too strong for paint surfaces over your bike. So be careful not to spray it everywhere and make sure it evaporates completely before reapplication. You might want an air compressor if you want to do this, so you can dry the interior of the bearing after washing more completely.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

xiyuwang wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:59 am
Finishlines' disc brake cleaner works fine. Quickly evaporate after use and is not as nasty as normal oily degreasersthat needs rinse over and over to make sure no left over. Also cleans stubborn grease like Shimano's green grease much quicker and more effectively than something like a chain degreaser.

But it could too too strong for paint surfaces over your bike. So be careful not to spray it everywhere and make sure it evaporates completely before reapplication. You might want an air compressor if you want to do this, so you can dry the interior of the bearing after washing more completely.
I tried break cleaner too once on ceramic bearings. Not finish line, motorex I think it was.

Of course, covering up the frame in towels is essential regardless!

Maybe I should use brake cleaner next time, dont have access to air compressor now so it needs to evaporate in the air.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Just finished regreasing a ceramic speed BB with Klüber Topas NB52 (bought from ebay few yrs ago before war with Russia) same lube that BBinfinite is using.

Flushed with Muc off bio degreaser and then flushed even more with brake cleaners. Let it dry up for 3 days, a little canned air and a hair blower. Visual inspection with a flashlight, it is really clean! No leftover grease whatsoever.

Once dry, regreased (using quite a lot of grease). Spins just fine and should be good for another 10 000km (1yr).
Motorex white grease on crank axle/bearing shields.
Motorex green grease on DUB spindle bolt.

1.5-2 hours work once a year per bike