Most reliable TPU tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

mattcooke wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:51 pm
velov wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:16 am
mattcooke wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:20 am
Very high PSI for me, I weigh 60 kilos and I ride skinny tires, usually 25mm. But the PSI is usually 120 or 110. So I think I am an outlier but there you go
Any reason why you're riding such high PSI?
I feel like it's faster to be honest. I raced many years ago and those habits and ideas are still with me. It is still have not been convinced that these wide and soft-ish tires are faster. But hey, perhaps I'm wrong.
I run the my RideNow 36gr with a 25mm Conti GP5000 at 82-84 PSI (5,6 - 5,8 bar) (80kg rider)

gillesF78

by gillesF78

Yesterday, I had a flat and was not able to repair because the RideNow tube stocked in my saddlebag had many punctures caused by the wear of vibrations.

I'll never again place a TPU tube in my saddlebag without a protective layer like a foam...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:00 am
froze wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:31 pm
I rode latex for many years, but actually prefer the ride feel of TPU as it isn't as muted -- and for me they indeed roll faster.

Several downsides as you mentioned, though, and in my and many others experience the Ride Now (and others) can have horrible QC out of the box.
Tests have shown that TPU rolls in between a butyl, being the slowest, and latex being the fastest, and between those two we're talking roughly 7 watts, so I highly doubt you can feel a 2.5 watt gain.
IN FACT, testing of the better TPU's show them within the margin of error to latex and far better than old butyl.

Chew on this 2.5 watts, and get back to us-
[/quote]
Where is this test chart from?
impressive performance of tpu

Jaisen

by Jaisen

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:35 am
Where is this test chart from?
impressive performance of tpu
BRR https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... nner-tubes

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

gillesF78 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:46 pm
Yesterday, I had a flat and was not able to repair because the RideNow tube stocked in my saddlebag had many punctures caused by the wear of vibrations.

I'll never again place a TPU tube in my saddlebag without a protective layer like a foam...
Anything to keep the abrasion and friction off the tube will help, I normally keep mine in a little plastic bag or an old coffee bag

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Tifosiphil wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:23 am
gillesF78 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:46 pm

Anything to keep the abrasion and friction off the tube will help, I normally keep mine in a little plastic bag or an old coffee bag
I picked this up from a podcast, a babies sock works perfectly as a caddy for a TPU tube.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

better is to wrap a dollar bill around it, duct tape (not adhesive out, of course), or put in a little plastic bag. Anything you can use to patch big tire cuts.

a baby sock is weird. Especially if you don't have a baby.

toxin

by toxin

Why the *f##k* would you use a dollar bill :unbelievable:

stanvr

by stanvr

I'm interested to know if most users are on disc or that people have good luck on rim brakes too? I've had two Aerothans blow through the rim tape on spoke holes (DT Swiss tubeless tape on DT alloy rims), which resulted in blow outs. Both were on steep but short descents, first one heavy braking before a turn, second one where I had to be dragging the brakes because it was 20% and gravel. Last case I know the rims get hot and I might be "asking" for it, but you get lost on a ride and then would still prefer not to have it. I've never had such problems with other (normal) tubes, seems like the Aerothans get hotter with braking, making the tape weaker and forcing a blowout

I've since replaced the tape with Mucoff Tubeless tape and went back to normal tubes. Is this a common rim brake X tpu problem and are all positive expierences with disc?

Cranzai

by Cranzai

Recently had two Aerothans fail after approximately 1500km, both leaked right at the valve stem.
Contacted Schwalbe and will receive two new aerothans as they were supposedly not glued correctly, good service we will see if this pair lasts longer.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:40 pm
better is to wrap a dollar bill around it, duct tape (not adhesive out, of course), or put in a little plastic bag. Anything you can use to patch big tire cuts.

a baby sock is weird. Especially if you don't have a baby.
I do have young children so it's cool. Also a Bluey sock is a fun conversation starter if you're riding with someone and have a puncture, more fun than some duct tape anyway.

usr

by usr

stanvr wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 am
I'm interested to know if most users are on disc or that people have good luck on rim brakes too? I've had two Aerothans blow through the rim tape on spoke holes (DT Swiss tubeless tape on DT alloy rims), which resulted in blow outs. Both were on steep but short descents, first one heavy braking before a turn, second one where I had to be dragging the brakes because it was 20% and gravel. Last case I know the rims get hot and I might be "asking" for it, but you get lost on a ride and then would still prefer not to have it. I've never had such problems with other (normal) tubes, seems like the Aerothans get hotter with braking, making the tape weaker and forcing a blowout

I've since replaced the tape with Mucoff Tubeless tape and went back to normal tubes. Is this a common rim brake X tpu problem and are all positive expierences with disc?
The tube adds some thermal mass and a TPU will add less than a heavy butyl, but the main culprit is the rim tape. Was that DT tape the one that came with the wheels or was it bought separately? Could be possible that they have a type tubeless tape that isn't really up to rim brake heat, little overlap between rim brake and tubeless.

stanvr

by stanvr

usr wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:09 am
stanvr wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 am

The tube adds some thermal mass and a TPU will add less than a heavy butyl, but the main culprit is the rim tape. Was that DT tape the one that came with the wheels or was it bought separately? Could be possible that they have a type tubeless tape that isn't really up to rim brake heat, little overlap between rim brake and tubeless.
It was the original rim tape. I've never bothered with tubeless on 23/25mm tires, in my experience tubeless is best for low pressure/high volume and the lower the volume goes and the pressure, the less ideal it gets. But that's a different story, I'm wondering if I should give TPU on rim another try and if users who have good results are mostly on disc or that if there is rim users too.

NickB

by NickB

Had leaky valve area issues with Tobolito and same with some Ride Now that I was given. All in bin
As a sub note, fitting a TPU at the side of the road in very, very wet conditions is like chasing soap around the bath.
Latex in bike now and normal Halfords tubes for spares on the road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

toxin wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pm
Why the *f##k* would you use a dollar bill :unbelievable:
because it's cotton. makes a good patch for a tire cut, protects the tpu tube and it's always nice to have to buy a coke or something.
I always have a fiver or something folded up, just in case.