Most reliable TPU tube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

I've given up on the Ride Now TPU tubes after finding repeated QC issues, as noted in another thread here recently.

Before retreating to latex, I'm curious to know if there is another TPU brand that most everyone has found reliable - at least out of the box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Pirelli ones are reliable but aren't that quick in testing and are expensive. I was given some for free but would rather use latex TBH

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

I'm using Revoloop and really satisfied.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

exige

by exige

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:59 pm
I've given up on the Ride Now TPU tubes after finding repeated QC issues, as noted in another thread here recently.

Before retreating to latex, I'm curious to know if there is another TPU brand that most everyone has found reliable - at least out of the box.
Interesting. I've riden thousands of miles on Ride Now tubes and have yet to have a single puncture or any QC issues, and that includes a week riding recently on Gran Canaria which has some truly terrible broken, gravel strewn road surfaces.

I'm sold on TPU tubes in general as a lighter, easier alternative to tubeless. My setup with Conti GP 5000 tyres is significantly lighter than Conti GP 5000 TR tyres + sealant, is much less mess and hassle, and so far bullet proof for punctures.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

exige wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:28 pm

Interesting. I've riden thousands of miles on Ride Now tubes and have yet to have a single puncture or any QC issues, and that includes a week riding recently on Gran Canaria which has some truly terrible broken, gravel strewn road surfaces.

I'm sold on TPU tubes in general as a lighter, easier alternative to tubeless. My setup with Conti GP 5000 tyres is significantly lighter than Conti GP 5000 TR tyres + sealant, is much less mess and hassle, and so far bullet proof for punctures.
Latex rolls faster. On balance it's a better option.

I'm convinced that TPU is a bad material for tubes. It's not flexible enough, causes these issues:

- you can't inflate outside of the tire
- the valve stems are prone to cracking under the stress of being pumped by mini-pumps
- the valve/valve stem interface is prone to leakage because the metal valve is screwing into hard plastic

Even expensive options suffer from these limitations.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

BenCousins wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:35 pm
exige wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:28 pm

Latex rolls faster. On balance it's a better option.

I'm convinced that TPU is a bad material for tubes. It's not flexible enough, causes these issues:

- you can't inflate outside of the tire
- the valve stems are prone to cracking under the stress of being pumped by mini-pumps
- the valve/valve stem interface is prone to leakage because the metal valve is screwing into hard plastic

Even expensive options suffer from these limitations.
I rode latex for many years, but actually prefer the ride feel of TPU as it isn't as muted -- and for me they indeed roll faster.

Several downsides as you mentioned, though, and in my and many others experience the Ride Now (and others) can have horrible QC out of the box.

Tooslow

by Tooslow

Using Ridenow for one season on 2 bikes, zero issues.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Pirelli here. Got I guess about 3k kms on a set on carbon wheel set and no problems so far.

As an aside. I kinda have had enough with latex because of how they drop pressure to zero from full when they go flat ... genuinely instantly.
Always seem to get away with it and it's been on flat zones when it's happened but I really wouldn't want latex letting go on an alpine pass.. you could really have a nasty situation.

YMMV .... for background I have used 4s Pirelli for the last 3yrs or so usually 28mm size. total mileage beyond 70k kms.. I dump the rear tires as soon as they square off slightly so typically rear tire will get less than 3k km before it's rejected. That seems to be optimum wear point to avoid flats entirely. Always rotate new tire to front and front that's seen use goes to the rear.
Between tpu and latex yeah tpu feels quicker and does away with the fear of latex and its sudden failure when it does flat.

njleach

by njleach

Also using RideNow TPU tubes without issue, although just the light (36g) version, not the super light or ultra light

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Ah, but what's the name of this site? In my neo-definition, weight weenie-ing means weight budgeting. What trade-offs are you willing to pay to save weight? What benefits are you willing to pay for by carrying extra weight? Per BikeTubes.com, a tire size 25-28 mm, valve length 51 mm, Vittoria latex tube is 85 g. A Pirelli TPU tube tire size 23-32 mm is 35 g (that may be for the 40 mm valve, I use a longer valve at 39 g if I reember correctly). Is the 100 g delta to the latex tubes worth it? As to cost, TPU tubes are the most cost efficient weight-saving parts I know.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

uraqt

by uraqt

I have orgianl Tubolitos that have never flated, guessing about 5/6 thousand miles
C

MagicShite

by MagicShite

my sample size maybe limited, but most of my clients customers are on magene. all of them had no issues with it.

Magene has some reinforced areas and it seemed at least on paper, much more robust than ridenow.

But it's not like I have a lot of issues with TPU either. The Vittoria TPUs gave me significantly more headache with their leaky valves. The Vittoria Latex has shit tons of issues with their QC as well. (I had to warranty a whole box with leaky valve joints)

I still much prefer latex, but lately their QC issues has made me shifted to TPUs.

That being said though, I have been testing the 30mm GP5k on wide rims and the with the TPUs installed they still felt SMOOTH AF. Totally different from running TPUs with 25mm/28mms, which felt incredibly harsh to ride.

Matte86

by Matte86

I’m using Reveloop, been on them for the past 3 years, and so far I’m happy with them, no complaints

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Revoloop. No issues with them either, despite using the ultra light ones.

markyboy

by markyboy

I have the ridenow on 1 bike zero issues,vittoria ultra light on another bike zero issues.
I must admit that the vittoria are better quality than the ridenow.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com