smallest and lightest bell?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

Finally annoyed enough that I might try one at least on my commuter bike but I don't have much space on my bars; they're regular round bars tho.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 208

OtterSpace wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:38 pm
The lightest bell likely wont work well as a bell.

I consider the best solution to be a Spurcycle Original Bell with a belltower bar end mount

Weight.jpg
This one by canyon is good.

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/gear/acces ... 05999.html

spartacus

by spartacus

OtterSpace wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:38 pm
The lightest bell likely wont work well as a bell.

I consider the best solution to be a Spurcycle Original Bell with a belltower bar end mount

Weight.jpg
Thanks that's actually not a bad setup thanks

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

I'll add some info on bell use after riding with one for awhile on a 45km/hr (28mph) ebike.

Your voice is louder and can get someone's attention better than a bell. However, you need to know what to say to get the right reaction. Yelling is viewed as rude and many people don't react well but yelling works better if something really needs immediate correcting.

I find alerting unaware people to my presence often causes more issues than if I just went on my way so I only alert if something bad could happen.

Where a bell shines is more of an early heads up. One of the reasons I like the Spurcycle bell more than other options is the tone which is loud enough but has a firm and pleasant tone compared to other options. Unfortunately it will be hard for a car user listening to audio to hear any bell. You could mount an air horn to your bike which I did see a commuter do once.

Discodan

by Discodan

If you want light and small the BBB is the smallest I've seen, 19g https://bbbcycling.com/au_en/bbb-16-minifit

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have found the trigger bell to be plenty loud and unobtrusive. Been using one on the commuter for years.

https://www.triggerbell.com/

diecast

by diecast

I'd also recommend the Spurcycle bell, it makes a fantastic sound. Loud, but somehow cheerful and non threatening.

doogie2304

by doogie2304

I also have the Spurcycle on my commuter. I used to just call out "rider back" , but the Spurcycle gets a much better response.

It's also colour-matched to my frame, so that's another plus...

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I had a Spur Cycle bell for a while but older people just didn't seem react to it. Now I have a Knog Oi Luxe which I really like, in terms of look and use. At first I deemed it not loud enough but things got better after I tightened the fastening screw a bit more. Cateye makes really small and loud bells but they're hard to obtain here in The Netherlands and I don't particularly like the fastening system (some sort of plastic ribbon).

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

I have Knog Oi and BBB bell on my bikes. I really like the shape and look of the Knog (very inconspicuous) and it rings louder and clearer than the BBB.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Cateye PB-600 super mini bell.
28 grams only.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

28 grams only.
I got mine down to 25 grams by replacing the bolt.

EugeneC

by EugeneC

In my experience yelling is viewed at as rude. And people oftentimes wont move out of the way or move slower if you yell at them. Some people yell right back at you, because they find it provocative. A bell is a better option. The thing with bells is though, if it's not loud enough, you have to get closer. And if you are too close, you have to brake more and risk is higher, which is what you want to avoid. So the louder the bell the better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

fatpinarellorider wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:01 am
28 grams only.
How did you fasten it to your bike? I see that the diameter of the plastic thingy (don't know the English word) is only 22,2 mm.