smallest and lightest bell?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MagicShite

by MagicShite

usr wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:51 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:23 pm
for those who say yelling is "rude", just get used to yelling neutral words.

Back in our country we typically yell "RIDER", to alert others of our presence when we're descending or overtaking fast.
That only helps so far, making yourself heard over a long distance while being physically exerted will always sound off to those who are not. It's just not an easy situation with a good way to do it. I actually like doing both, when in a group, yelling to get heard and the bell as a little symbolic excuse for yelling, as in "see, the bell really isn't all that loud". A frequent reaction to yelling seems to be "you're supposed to have a bell!" and the tiny ding catches those by surprise (and chances are they would not have heard the bell before getting triggered into their "you're supposed to have a bell!" routine)
IME, there's no winning when you're meeting with midwit *f##k* on the trails.

Use a bell -> "you're going too fast!" (while actually slowing down and sitting on my dropped seatpost)

Don't use a bell -> "where's your bell!" (similarly while also slowing down to pass)

^both the above scenarios are when we shouted as loud as we can. They are just pretending not to listen (or on their headphones/pods)

These pedestrians take up the entire path (as if they own the entire trail/roads). If you meet a good family/group they will give way and smile/wave regardless.

Shouting is just still way better than having to move your finger out of the brakes.

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

Bells are more polite, as that is what they are intended to be used for.
I only shout if someone makes a last-minute move or it's your typical headphone youth in the middle of the path and rining the bell 3 times didn't make them move over. They are never rude to me because usually they jump 3ft in the air because they were completely unaware of their surroundings.

I would never want to ride without a bell, road or mtb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

When you ride alone, for those that seem to take pride in not listening, a short scrape of the rear tire usually works miracles. *That* signal they hear and understand perfectly well, and they have absolutely no idea how far you were from actually crashing into them when you scrape dust deliberately.

spartacus

by spartacus

Locking up the tire? You guys are insane. The bell is louder than yelling unless you yell super loud. I also hate yelling. Anyways like I said before the bell I got is really good, not really anything else worth adding besides that I've been using it and it's super effective and people don't seem to get mad about it.

usr

by usr

Doesn't matter how loud the bell is when people decide they don't hear it. I certainly prefer using my bell, but some people prefer to not hear any bells. They always hear even the tiniest scrape of tire on pavement.

EugeneC

by EugeneC

MagicShite wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:07 am

IME, there's no winning when you're meeting with midwit *f##k* on the trails.

Use a bell -> "you're going too fast!" (while actually slowing down and sitting on my dropped seatpost)

Don't use a bell -> "where's your bell!" (similarly while also slowing down to pass)

^both the above scenarios are when we shouted as loud as we can. They are just pretending not to listen (or on their headphones/pods)

These pedestrians take up the entire path (as if they own the entire trail/roads). If you meet a good family/group they will give way and smile/wave regardless.

Shouting is just still way better than having to move your finger out of the brakes.
So true. On the trail I definitely prefer to keep my hands on the brakes, instead of reaching for the bell. But if the bell is actually loud enough, there is time to move back to the brakes, before the situation gets dangerous.

Oftentimes I whistle out loud and use the bell at the same time. It makes people instinctly think, that you've used the bell several times, but they didn't hear it, and know you moved to something louder (the whistle) to get them to move.