Sixweel 12 speed cassettes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Stumbled upon this:

https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/sixw ... -cassette/

199g for 11-30 12s

Expensive but lighter than DA, „Made from signature steel composition and Aviation Aluminum”. I assume the biggest cog is alloy by the looks of it?

Anyone tried it?

RobinDuraAce

by RobinDuraAce

Hi,

the shop is nice, they answer very fast, help you with everything and i didnot had to pay any extra money for shipping to EU(Germany).

Tried a Reccon 12 speed Cassette in 11-32 with 189 gramms but shifting was definitv much worse. At the end i could shift all gears but the shifting performance in terms of shifting speed was miles away. Got back to original Shimano and saved so much time for the setting the cassette up because the Recon Cassette costs me almost 2 hours or more.

For sixweel, i didnot try it but heard it is the same like Reccon or Incolour. You can safe money and a few gramms but i think nothing shifts as good as original Shimano.

I am done with a non Shimano Drivetrain, the cheap cassettes/chainrings from Aliexpress are heavy and not even worth a try in my opinion. The more expensiv cassettes are maybe possible, but my skills arenot high enough and at the end the 50-100 gramms savings are not worth it when i just hate my drivetrain performance. But this was my experience, maybe some other are more lucky or more skilled.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

Sixwheel has the best shfting perfomance at its weight class, and it shifts close to Shimano, as its tooth shape is a one to one copy from Dura Ace.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

If tooth shape is a one to one copy, is that a patent infringement?

I also don't know how that could be true for some of their cassettes when 11-33 isn't offered by Shimano.

I'll echo the comment above and agree it's not worth the few grams on the cassette and give up shifting quality. I've decided the same about chainrings at this point.

alanyu

by alanyu

I don't think Sixwheel care about patent issue... This is actually a project of an undergraduate student.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:12 am
You can patent the specific shape of hundreds of different cog teeth? I'm not sure you can.

RDY

by RDY

AFAIK the *system* is patented, not solely the cassette itself.

I wish Sixwheel did an 11-36. Still haven't tried DA with 11-36, but Ultegra works fine. Obviously AXS does, though you'd need a non-SRAM chain.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

BenCousins wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:30 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:12 am
You can patent the specific shape of hundreds of different cog teeth? I'm not sure you can.
Of course you can patent ramp profiles. Shimano sued SRAM in the days of PowerGlide for copying it. It's that same for HyperGlide

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

alanyu wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:23 am
I don't think Sixwheel care about patent issue... This is actually a project of an undergraduate student.
Consumers should care and not encourage it. One brand spends a bunch of money designing something and then some Ali seller copies it.

If you agree that patent protection is important and right, then you shouldn't buy patent infringing products.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:34 pm
alanyu wrote:
Consumers should care and not encourage it. One brand spends a bunch of money designing something and then some Ali seller copies it.

If you agree that patent protection is important and right, then you shouldn't buy patent infringing products.
Irrespective of the ideal situation, I don't think engineering at this detail can be patented. Can you find the patent for the shape of all the teeth?

alanyu

by alanyu

BigBoyND wrote:
alanyu wrote:

It depends on whether a reasonable patent or a bullshit patent. On this one, I never consider buying sixwheel. I'm more interested in Neutron one which has a better shift performance than Incolor one.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

BenCousins wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:03 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
alanyu wrote:

Irrespective of the ideal situation, I don't think engineering at this detail can be patented. Can you find the patent for the shape of all the teeth?
Here you go. Pretty detaield explanation of all the shift leans, teeth tips, root diameter, etc.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6340338B1/en

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

alanyu wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:21 pm
It depends on whether a reasonable patent or a bullshit patent. On this one, I never consider buying sixwheel. I'm more interested in Neutron one which has a better shift performance than Incolor one.
I can agree with your first statement about BS patents.

In this case, it's not a trivial one since it's very difficult to make a cassette shift as well as Shimano's.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the cassettes from the big 3 are the best. not worth headache of the recons of the world, though th recon titanium cassette is very good. their one piece alloy not really good at all

mashiehood

by mashiehood

Has anyone tried the rotor 12 speed cassettes with DA 9200?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com