2024 Factor Ostro sighted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Ok my Ostro Vam II (52cm)with Dura Ace, pedals, comouter mount, stock Good Year clinchers with tubes, no bar tape (yet), stands at 15-lbs 7-oz. The steerer and chain will be further cut sometime this week and the current 52-36 chainrings replaced with 50-34.
Attachments
IMG_2574.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aham23

by aham23

I mean a 52 should be that light.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

My complete bike (black, size 56) works out to 7.2kg
- LB falcon pro 568 wheel set
- conti GP 5000 STR with sealant
- dura ace 12 speed with Red crank, Sigeyi PM spider and Carbon Ti chainrings.
- Sworks Romin saddle
- Galfer rotors 160/140
- DA pedals

There are a handful of places one could cut another 200g - there are lighter wheels to be had and maybe Darimo makes a seatpost that is 100g lighter, but not much else.

So it's... okay I guess. Pretty much what I expected after weighing the frameset. Similar to Scott Foil, lighter than the Aeroad, similar to BMC's new aero bike. Heavier than the SL7/SL8 by a good pound. Deep tubes weigh more, what do you know?

Let's see how she rides.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:30 pm
Ok my Ostro Vam II (52cm)with Dura Ace, pedals, comouter mount, stock Good Year clinchers with tubes, no bar tape (yet), stands at 15-lbs 7-oz.
Or 7.2kg as the case may be. That's a fine weight for that bike. Looks excellent. Weight could be trimmed if you wanted. My gen 1 with DA and 1350 gram wheels is about 7kg. My frame was sub 900 grams IIRC. The rest of the difference is mostly in the older handlebar which is 330grams, maybe a bit in the fork.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Motard

by Motard

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:29 pm

Let's see how she rides.
In the end, that's what matters most.

Jz91

by Jz91

On the other hand to me it feels though they have not really improved much on anything vs the prev gen except for the wheels...

Still eagerly waiting for that tour test, although now the bar is higher as I see the Ostro going straight against the S5

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

She's almost done. Not sure about the white bar tape.
Attachments
IMG_2637.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

kode54

by kode54

Noctiluxx wrote:Ok my Ostro Vam II (52cm)with Dura Ace, pedals, comouter mount, stock Good Year clinchers with tubes, no bar tape (yet), stands at 15-lbs 7-oz. The steerer and chain will be further cut sometime this week and the current 52-36 chainrings replaced with 50-34.
Thats not too bad. Mine is a bit heavier.
Differences are I have a THM crank with Carbon-Ti rings (52/36), Darimo seatpost, latest Black Inc. Bars, Enve 6.7 wheels and I’m still over than your weight but sub-16 lbs. in size 52cm as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I like it, part from those LARGE white logos (wheels and frame) that kind of distract more than they do any good.
I don't particularly like things that distrupts harmony of flow. But company logos tend to be all about popping (sometimes in a bad way).
I think it's too much, but some like it.

Yeah, if you're into harmony and flow, the white tape should go next time your wrap the bars. You may play with a dual set, one blue and one black and wrap the bars 50/50 ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

A review. My other bike is an SL7 tarmac- with Darimo seatpost and EXS barstem, it weights just under 6.8kg with pedals and cages - i.e., 400g lighter than the Ostro. You can definitely feel the difference lifting the bike, but it's quite hard to tell while riding. Wheelset is the same (I just moved it across): LB Falcon Pro 568 flyweights, at 1410g for the set.
1. Is it fast? Well, it sure looks fast. Wide fork legs, super thin seatpost, hourglass headtube - just looks "right" for an aero bike. Feels fast too, with 38-40kph feeling pretty easy. Is it faster than the SL7? I have no clue - I think it probably is a fair bit more aero, but I' don't have time for a Chung method comparison.
2. Is it compliant? I would say the ride is no harsher than the SL7, which is a pretty compliant bike. The back end, in particular, perhaps owing to those super thin seatstays, feels like it does a good job absorbing road vibrations. Front end is probably a bit stiffer - those wide for legs - but I honestly wouldn't be able to tell. I think the Venge was a harsher ride. SL7 is pretty similar.
3. Bb is stiff, sure.
4. Handling is good. Geometry is very similar to the SL7, and it doesn't feel too different. Might be a touch more stable, as the head angle is a touch slacker. A good thing when you are riding 36cm wide bars.
5. Black inc bars are comfortable, and look good. The 3cm flare is spot on for the raod. Not the lightest though.
Other bits:
- seatpost is heavy and overbuilt. They could do a lighter clamping mechanism, and the walls of the seatpost are very thick- looks pretty indestructible, but probably not great for the weight. Cue Darimo? One could drop 100g on that seatpost alone.
- Bars are also overbuilt. Fork steerer looks thick as well.
- The exits for hydraulic cables on the bars are small - could not for the life of me get the lines through them. Had to use a round file to enlarge the opening just a bit. PITA though.
- The super thin seat-tube = more road spray reaching your bottles.
- Not much room here for a weightweenie job. You can swap the bars for a lighter set, maybe there is the seatpost to replace if Darimo makes one, and then you have wheels and saddle choice. Other than that, all bolts I could think of (other than the for brake calipers) are already titanium or alloy, even the fork expander plug is not too bad (and also cannot be replaced because the steerer is not round).

cerro

by cerro

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:17 pm
Black, size 56 frame. This is essentially a "naked" bike - you can see all the carbon thru, so there is no paint, just clearcoat.

Frame, no hardware: 888g
Fork, uncut: 495g.
Seatpost: 208g, including the seat clamp hardware.
56cm Black Chrome is 932g including bottle cage bolts, derailleur hanger and seatclamp for comparsion.
Uncut fork 480g

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:38 pm
I like it, part from those LARGE white logos (wheels and frame) that kind of distract more than they do any good.
I don't particularly like things that distrupts harmony of flow. But company logos tend to be all about popping (sometimes in a bad way).
I think it's too much, but some like it.

Yeah, if you're into harmony and flow, the white tape should go next time your wrap the bars. You may play with a dual set, one blue and one black and wrap the bars 50/50 ;-)
Agree with you on the white bar tape. It's coming off soon to be repalced with what came with the bike, black bar tape.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

miOdiO wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 am
I can confirm that all the frames (that I saw -> 3) have stickers at the fork at this position.
I hope it is also visible at the attached fotos I took.

Edit: I will be at this LBS tomorrow again. So I can check if the fork interfers with the frame and maybe can take some pictures if anyone is interested.

To those still wondering about this point:
1) Factor Ostro II assembly manual specifcally addresses this issue. A vinyl tape is provided and the manual says to put this on the back of the fork, because "In some instances this vinyl is required to prevent potential damage to the fork pain by over-rotating. It serves to stop this by binding, but needs to be checked periodically for signs of wear or deterioration. New Die Cut can be obtained from customer service". https://assets.ctfassets.net/uyc32o2uod ... ual-v2.pdf
2) I put the vinyl taoe on as required, but in my case, the gap is not that narrow. I cannot see any possibility of the fork ever rubbing agains the frame due to rotation or anything. Might be just a case of frame mould tolerances in that particular junction, or different sizes being different in that spot.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

I was just inquiring some dealers for a frameset with bars.
I got one back at 6999 and needed to go to shop to see what they could do ? That's plain laughable.
Given that I saw a secondhand with similar dealer that sells for 5.5k full bike (vam 2.0) Only size was a bit off for me.
Anyone here to have some reasonable price for a frameset in Europe ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wannabefast

by wannabefast

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:10 pm
She's almost done. Not sure about the white bar tape.
Bike and build looks great, what your saddle height set at (CTT), in this pic? Thanks in advance.