2024 Factor Ostro sighted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Stock Ostro Vam II with Dura Ace, no pedals, size 56, 6.95kg. I have identical bike arriving Wednesday in size 52. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4FIqJ-zOs
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chorus88

by chorus88

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 am
Stock Ostro Vam II with Dura Ace, no pedals, size 56, 6.95kg. I have identical bike arriving Wednesday in size 52. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc4FIqJ-zOs
Y-I-K-E-S!

"... damage to the frame where the forks have over rotated and delaminated the edge?"

Untitled-factor damaged frame.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That's a strange one. Easy enough to test. Just turn the bars. Either they stop because they hit the top tube, or they stop because somebody f'ed up the fork/headtube interface design. Doubt the later, but anything is possible. Not an issue on the first gen afaik.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sigma

by sigma

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 am
That's a strange one. Easy enough to test. Just turn the bars. Either they stop because they hit the top tube, or they stop because somebody f'ed up the fork/headtube interface design. Doubt the later, but anything is possible. Not an issue on the first gen afaik.
Wasn't there something similar with the S5 at some point when they first brought out the new integrated bars? I can't recall off the top of my head but I thought there was an issue with the interface there too.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

miOdiO

by miOdiO

I can confirm that all the frames (that I saw -> 3) have stickers at the fork at this position.
I hope it is also visible at the attached fotos I took.

Edit: I will be at this LBS tomorrow again. So I can check if the fork interfers with the frame and maybe can take some pictures if anyone is interested.
Attachments
IMG_1711.jpg
IMG_1714.jpg

sigma

by sigma

Thank you for the photos. I was very close to placing my order but I think I will wait for some more clarity on this potential issue and would be vey interested in your thoughts on the fork frame interface.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

chorus88

by chorus88

Better screen capture.
It' a sticker, not a crack!
I'm sooo embarrassed. :oops:

Untitled-factor sticker.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

sigma wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 pm
Thank you for the photos. I was very close to placing my order but I think I will wait for some more clarity on this potential issue and would be vey interested in your thoughts on the fork frame interface.
My Ostro Vam II (same paint, drivetrain) is arriving tomorrow. I'll post photos soon.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

miOdiO

by miOdiO

My observation at the LBS today: Fork can rotate with no contact until around 90° (probably bit less).
Then it slightly touches the stickers for a short moment and then it's without contact again.
So while driving this should never happen. If you turn your fork 90° while driving you have some other issues I guess.

nullptr

by nullptr

Is there a weight difference between the colors "black" and "gloss chrome"?

sigma

by sigma

miOdiO wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 pm
My observation at the LBS today: Fork can rotate with no contact until around 90° (probably bit less).
Then it slightly touches the stickers for a short moment and then it's without contact again.
So while driving this should never happen. If you turn your fork 90° while driving you have some other issues I guess.
Thank you - that's really helpful. I think I am curious as to why those stickers are really there but might be just simply to stop the fork rotation or slow it down. I vaguely recall the S5 problem was more about impacat when the fork was let go into the frame, so this is something completely different and should not be an issue at all.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Black, size 56 frame. This is essentially a "naked" bike - you can see all the carbon thru, so there is no paint, just clearcoat.

Frame, no hardware: 888g
Fork, uncut: 495g.
Seatpost: 208g, including the seat clamp hardware.

Fork will loose a bit of weight after being cut; not sure if to the 463g quoted or a bit higher. Frame is above spec by around 40g after adjusting for size (factor quotes 820 for size 54). A roughly 5% deviation is within acceptable margins, and is in line with what we have seen with all the varieties of Tarmac SL7 and SL8 frames.

For those looking at white and blue colour schemes, you are probably looking at something north of 100g on top of the above weights for the frame, and another 50g or so for the fork.

The other thing that weighs a lot for Factor is their bar stem. Mine is 410g with various stickers and all the bolts and top cap, for a 360-110 version. It is also a version that will accomodate aero extensions, so has extra bolt bosses in the bar, so carries even more extra weight.

Am keeping it. The frame is very sexy and aero looking and very unlike the simple round tube profiles of the SL8. I miss my Venge and this is as close as I can get to the shape of that bike. Maybe better.

EDIT: looking at spec list, that seatpost looks heavy AF. Will check if i weighed it with extra bits or something, and otherwise ask factor. 25% above spec weight on this component is not OK, IMO.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:17 pm
Black, size 56 frame. This is essentially a "naked" bike - you can see all the carbon thru, so there is no paint, just clearcoat.

Frame, no hardware: 888g
Fork, uncut: 495g.
Seatpost: 208g, including the seat clamp hardware.

Fork will loose a bit of weight after being cut; not sure if to the 463g quoted or a bit higher. Frame is above spec by around 40g after adjusting for size (factor quotes 820 for size 54). A roughly 5% deviation is within acceptable margins, and is in line with what we have seen with all the varieties of Tarmac SL7 and SL8 frames.

For those looking at white and blue colour schemes, you are probably looking at something north of 100g on top of the above weights for the frame, and another 50g or so for the fork.

The other thing that weighs a lot for Factor is their bar stem. Mine is 410g with various stickers and all the bolts and top cap, for a 360-110 version. It is also a version that will accomodate aero extensions, so has extra bolt bosses in the bar, so carries even more extra weight.

Am keeping it. The frame is very sexy and aero looking and very unlike the simple round tube profiles of the SL8. I miss my Venge and this is as close as I can get to the shape of that bike. Maybe better.

EDIT: looking at spec list, that seatpost looks heavy AF. Will check if i weighed it with extra bits or something, and otherwise ask factor. 25% above spec weight on this component is not OK, IMO.
Enjoy the new bike - sexy is the word. If you can give us your ride impressions once you have spent some time with it that would be nice.

As much as I am a happy Ostro owner and want to be a booster for the Factor brand, it's a bit of an eye-roll when Factor talks about weight savings with the new model, but of course it ends up being heavier. If only we could ride our bikes without handlebars, seatposts, etc... Ultimately, it's still a very good weight for an aero bike.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

spartan

by spartan

weight is very disappointing. hell a trek madone slr is lighter

https://youtu.be/WI5Z-6KlNL0?t=978
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components