2024 Factor Ostro sighted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

wannabefast wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:34 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:10 pm
She's almost done. Not sure about the white bar tape.
Bike and build looks great, what your saddle height set at (CTT), in this pic? Thanks in advance.
Just measured it at 26.75 inches.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Motard

by Motard

Noctiluxx wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:10 pm
She's almost done. Not sure about the white bar tape.
Love the white bar tape with the big white logos.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 11:10 am
miOdiO wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:55 am
I can confirm that all the frames (that I saw -> 3) have stickers at the fork at this position.
I hope it is also visible at the attached fotos I took.

Edit: I will be at this LBS tomorrow again. So I can check if the fork interfers with the frame and maybe can take some pictures if anyone is interested.

To those still wondering about this point:
1) Factor Ostro II assembly manual specifcally addresses this issue. A vinyl tape is provided and the manual says to put this on the back of the fork, because "In some instances this vinyl is required to prevent potential damage to the fork pain by over-rotating. It serves to stop this by binding, but needs to be checked periodically for signs of wear or deterioration. New Die Cut can be obtained from customer service". https://assets.ctfassets.net/uyc32o2uod ... ual-v2.pdf
2) I put the vinyl taoe on as required, but in my case, the gap is not that narrow. I cannot see any possibility of the fork ever rubbing agains the frame due to rotation or anything. Might be just a case of frame mould tolerances in that particular junction, or different sizes being different in that spot.
So basically by some 3m protection film and stick it on there to protect the paint. Actually I always put some small protection chips at fork and dropouts so hitting the paint when fitting the wheels should not damage the paint. Same I do at seatpost to avoid grit grinding between post and saddlebag. Works perfectly

jacek

by jacek

Have anyone tried a custom Darimo seatpost with the new Ostro VAM?

I am considering buying the new Ostro. However, I run my saddle at around ~860mm high which means the largest frame size (570) and the 350mm stock seatpost might be an issue.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

jacek wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 2:07 pm

I am considering buying the new Ostro. However, I run my saddle at around ~860mm high which means the largest frame size (570) and the 350mm stock seatpost might be an issue.
I don't think one is available from Darimo yet.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

jacek wrote:

Think you'll be fine.

10 cm insertion makes it 570+250+50 870

Just gotta find out if the insertion is more than 10 cm, and if your rails to seat of your saddle is less than 5 cm

jacek

by jacek

NordicSal wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 11:49 pm
jacek wrote:

Think you'll be fine.

Just gotta find out if the insertion is more than 10 cm, and if your rails to seat of your saddle is less than 5 cm
I am afraid the extra 5 cm is way too optimistic. I am riding a stock 400mm stock seatpost on my 570 Scott Addict Gravel and I am barely within the limit.

In the meantime Darimo must have read my post and just announced a new seatpost for the Ostro 2.0 :)

https://www.facebook.com/10004637108592 ... 8564733503

NordicSal

by NordicSal

jacek wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 8:18 pm
NordicSal wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 11:49 pm
jacek wrote:

Think you'll be fine.

I am afraid the extra 5 cm is way too optimistic. I am riding a stock 400mm stock seatpost on my 570 Scott Addict Gravel and I am barely within the limit.

In the meantime Darimo must have read my post and just announced a new seatpost for the Ostro 2.0 :)

https://www.facebook.com/10004637108592 ... 8564733503
It's pretty easy to measure if you have 5 cm from the rails to the top of your saddle, it's around that on my very normal saddle so I don't think it's optimastic. My seatheight is around 900mm so I know the struggle.

constantinyuple

by constantinyuple

My 2023 Ostro in black/chrome had to be replaced after a crash this year. Fortunately, all the components were undamaged and could be transferred directly, allowing me to compare the new bike to the old one with EXACTLY the same group, wheels, etc.

I loved the 2023 model and would argue it felt a bit more lively out of the saddle when climbing hills (maybe due to a different center of gravity?) :noidea: even though the 2024 model is almost the same weight. The 2023 model weighed 7.22 kg (black/chrome) on the scale, while the 2024 model in size 58 is 7.26 kg (black/carbon) – which is likely within the margin of error on a luggage scale costing less than 10 euros. This weight includes the GPS-light mount, bottle cages and assioma pedals. Not bad for a SRAM Force build, with the only RED part being the cassette for that rainbow look.

Otherwise, the two models feel pretty much the same. Adjusting the saddle height by 5mm makes more of a difference than switching between the bikes. The only time I noticed a significant improvement was on a completely flat segment next to a local lake, a favorite spot for TT riders. During my usual 300W 10-minute interval, I smashed my personal bests in both directions. This bike not only looks aero but also excels at maintaining speeds above 40 km/h.

If I had to choose between the 2023 frame, which you can now buy for 3300 EUR in Germany, and the 2024 frame for 6000 EUR, I would always opt for the 2023. It's just as fun, the same weight, and, in my opinion, looks better. I'm a little disappointed in the black-carbon look of the 2024 model. The Factor branding is almost invisible even in direct sunlight and doesn't match the rainbow effect shown in the website renders.

The team colour i saw in store when picking up the new bike looks stunning and if i could choose again would probably go for that one...anyway no regrets its a fun bike to ride and thats what matters most!

jacek

by jacek

constantinyuple wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:37 am
My 2023 Ostro in black/chrome had to be replaced after a crash this year. Fortunately, all the components were undamaged and could be transferred directly, allowing me to compare the new bike to the old one with EXACTLY the same group, wheels, etc.

I loved the 2023 model and would argue it felt a bit more lively out of the saddle when climbing hills (maybe due to a different center of gravity?) :noidea: even though the 2024 model is almost the same weight. The 2023 model weighed 7.22 kg (black/chrome) on the scale, while the 2024 model in size 58 is 7.26 kg (black/carbon) – which is likely within the margin of error on a luggage scale costing less than 10 euros. This weight includes the GPS-light mount, bottle cages and assioma pedals. Not bad for a SRAM Force build, with the only RED part being the cassette for that rainbow look.

Otherwise, the two models feel pretty much the same. Adjusting the saddle height by 5mm makes more of a difference than switching between the bikes. The only time I noticed a significant improvement was on a completely flat segment next to a local lake, a favorite spot for TT riders. During my usual 300W 10-minute interval, I smashed my personal bests in both directions. This bike not only looks aero but also excels at maintaining speeds above 40 km/h.

If I had to choose between the 2023 frame, which you can now buy for 3300 EUR in Germany, and the 2024 frame for 6000 EUR, I would always opt for the 2023. It's just as fun, the same weight, and, in my opinion, looks better. I'm a little disappointed in the black-carbon look of the 2024 model. The Factor branding is almost invisible even in direct sunlight and doesn't match the rainbow effect shown in the website renders.

The team colour i saw in store when picking up the new bike looks stunning and if i could choose again would probably go for that one...anyway no regrets its a fun bike to ride and thats what matters most!
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.

Did you mean that you can find a brand new 2023 frame for 3300 EUR or a used one? Anyway, I would greatly appreciate if you could share a link or the bike store name.

jazgill

by jazgill

jacek wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:21 pm
constantinyuple wrote:

Did you mean that you can find a brand new 2023 frame for 3300 EUR or a used one? Anyway, I would greatly appreciate if you could share a link or the bike store name.
bike-components.de have a few available at 3453 euros.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I saw one of the darker colored ones on a ride, logos were practically invisible but you could see the layup through the finish which was cool. Really liked the finish on the Black Inc wheels, but I love a gloss wheel that turns into a mirror in motion. Not crazy about the color or placement of what I assume were the seatpost clamp bolts, they stood out like a sore thumb and are so low I imagine they'll get caked in whatever road grime the back wheel kicks up. Bike did not look as disporportionate in person compared to photos, but maybe just that color scheme
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

jacek

by jacek

jazgill wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:11 pm
jacek wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:21 pm
constantinyuple wrote:

bike-components.de have a few available at 3453 euros.
Thanks for the tip. I have ordered mine today :) I think it's the first time I am glad that I am super tall when I buy a new bike (only sizes 61 and 49 were heavily discounted).

constantinyuple

by constantinyuple

cleanneon98 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:42 pm
I saw one of the darker colored ones on a ride, logos were practically invisible but you could see the layup through the finish which was cool. Really liked the finish on the Black Inc wheels, but I love a gloss wheel that turns into a mirror in motion. Not crazy about the color or placement of what I assume were the seatpost clamp bolts, they stood out like a sore thumb and are so low I imagine they'll get caked in whatever road grime the back wheel kicks up. Bike did not look as disporportionate in person compared to photos, but maybe just that color scheme
The seatpost clamp is very elegant, alsmost invsible solution when looking at the bike from the side. BUT as you mentioned when you look at the bike from the back, e.g. chasing another ride the two screws are very prominent and after 1-2 weeks with the bike now I can attest that unless you live in Spain or Florida (sunshine and happy sky) its already caked up on road grime. which at least makes the screws less visible at least :mrgreen:
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0154.jpg
The bike does look much more balanced in its propotions in real life than on photos. Its more agressive looking than the previous Ostro but I sitll think that the 2023 Ostro was one of the best looking bikes over the last 5 years and while I do think the 2024 version is a cool looking bike I have a hard time to qualiy it as "beautiful". its a matter of taste and the colour you pick has a huge impact here. I just wish the black-carbon version i have would show the logos as much as the renders on the website suggested.

2024 bottle cages: Factor advertise the new aero bottle gains BIG time during the product launch and on the ostro 2024 product page but yet my shop can not get their hands on this and factor is not repsoning to my emails. I thought the cages would be delivered in the premium package with the handlebars and seatpost and was a bit dissapointed to see they were not included in the package. Any idea when they will be available? Would like to complete the look witht the BLACK INC aero cages on my bike...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

miOdiO

by miOdiO

constantinyuple wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:15 am
2024 bottle cages: Factor advertise the new aero bottle gains BIG time during the product launch and on the ostro 2024 product page but yet my shop can not get their hands on this and factor is not repsoning to my emails. I thought the cages would be delivered in the premium package with the handlebars and seatpost and was a bit dissapointed to see they were not included in the package. Any idea when they will be available? Would like to complete the look witht the BLACK INC aero cages on my bike...
I am in the same boat. LBS can not get their hand on them. Once they have them I will get them. Time will tell I guess.