2024 Factor Ostro sighted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

This just popped up on the Factor owners FB group. Looks like it could be a new Ostro and possibly new wheels?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2690929 ... tid=Nif5oz
Attachments
1000008198.jpg
1000008207.jpg
Last edited by Hapsmo911 on Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ValPiti87

by ValPiti87

Hapsmo911 wrote:This just popped up on the Factor owners FB group. Looks like it could be a new Ostro and possibly new wheels?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2690929 ... tid=Nif5oz
interesting...it seems slimmer than the current one. An intermediate step with O2, right? What race has it been seen in?

Enviado desde mi SM-S911B mediante Tapatalk

RDY

by RDY

Deeper fork, larger head tube compensation triangle with semi-circular rather than angular junction, maybe slimmer head tube, no triangle between top and seat tube (top tube also looks very thin at seat tube junction).

Wheels look like a new carbon spoke mid depth option, probably made by FS (I think the ones launched with the O2 VAM were?).

sigma

by sigma

RDY wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:15 pm
Deeper fork, larger head tube compensation triangle with semi-circular rather than angular junction, maybe slimmer head tube, no triangle between top and seat tube (top tube also looks very thin at seat tube junction).

Wheels look like a new carbon spoke mid depth option, probably made by FS (I think the ones launched with the O2 VAM were?).
I didn't realize Farsports were making BlackInc wheels. If so, that would be a positive in my opinion. I really enjoy my Factor One rim and it's one of the most aerobikes out there. My Vam 02 is fine too (gen I) for climbing but of coursae has no aero benefits in the flats. Factor has been claiming the new Vam 02 is within a few watts of the Ostro from an aero perspective. Hopefully that is not really the case given how poorly the new Vam 02 scored on the Tour mag test. Would love to see Factor actually submit this version of the Ostro so we can get some objective testing of their claims.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Does that look like a new bar and stem? The angle/sharpness? on the back of the stem looks way different.

fidracer

by fidracer

Lots of observational details here:

https://escapecollective.com/new-factor ... nationals/

RDY

by RDY

sigma wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:06 pm
RDY wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:15 pm

I didn't realize Farsports were making BlackInc wheels. If so, that would be a positive in my opinion. I really enjoy my Factor One rim and it's one of the most aerobikes out there. My Vam 02 is fine too (gen I) for climbing but of coursae has no aero benefits in the flats. Factor has been claiming the new Vam 02 is within a few watts of the Ostro from an aero perspective. Hopefully that is not really the case given how poorly the new Vam 02 scored on the Tour mag test. Would love to see Factor actually submit this version of the Ostro so we can get some objective testing of their claims.
I'm not sure they are. But several people told me the carbon spoke ones launched with the O2 VAM were. I'm sure someone here knows. Pretty sure all the other BI stuff isn't.

RDY

by RDY

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:19 pm
Does that look like a new bar and stem? The angle/sharpness? on the back of the stem looks way different.
Frontal area looks lower, but might be the photo.

Jz91

by Jz91

Aren't the seat stays a bit too high? Just visually I'd prefer to see them a bit lower.

And what's with that rubber cover around the seat post? Seems quite thick

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

It's a good evolution of the Ostro, but nothing radical. Don't expect massive aero gains. 5 - 8 watts at 45 kmh? That would be an acheivement. But I still look forward to the typical absurd claims of massive improvements.

Probably bigger changes in how the bike feels. If the chain stays are stiffer, that would be good. The fork I am not so sure. The current one is pretty damn firm. I guess it depends on what you are doing with the bike - definitely a pure race machine, but maybe more demanding for long days in the saddle.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sigma

by sigma

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:48 pm
It's a good evolution of the Ostro, but nothing radical. Don't expect massive aero gains. 5 - 8 watts at 45 kmh? That would be an acheivement. But I still look forward to the typical absurd claims of massive improvements.

Probably bigger changes in how the bike feels. If the chain stays are stiffer, that would be good. The fork I am not so sure. The current one is pretty damn firm. I guess it depends on what you are doing with the bike - definitely a pure race machine, but maybe more demanding for long days in the saddle.
I'd be happy if there are no seatpost or fork issues to start...and since the Ostro is "already the most aero bike in the peloton" according to Shrive / Factor (cough, cough), hard to see much of an improvement I guess.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

alanyu

by alanyu

I like the look of the new fork and the new front triangle, but much prefer the style of the old rear triangle. Thinner seatstay is good, but the bending, the joint, and the seatpost joint, nahhhhh

ichobi

by ichobi

Black inc always made their own wheels, even with the one launched with the O2 Vam. No way Farsports made one for them.

ClydesDale

by ClydesDale

off topic, but the dude in the second pic has a chainsaw without a bar/chain...first time for that at a bike race...

RDY

by RDY

ichobi wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:50 am
Black inc always made their own wheels, even with the one launched with the O2 Vam. No way Farsports made one for them.
Factor have no interest in any rim factory AFAIK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com