2024 Factor Ostro sighted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanyu

by alanyu

This weight... similar to SSE gen 4 carbon...

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Yeah was kinda excited to ride this later today, but it feels like a backward step to me. Light weight and a flickable bike are more important to me than aero. I want to have fun on the bike, I'm not chasing the very last 1kmh average speed.

I would very much like Factor to show us a V2 in Siz e 54 that weighs 820g. In their dreams perhaps?

Back of a fag packet calculation now shows that an SL8 would be around 400g lighter than this, and that is not to be (speed) sniffed at!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

RDY wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:37 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:06 pm
So my LBS just weighed 'my' V2 Ostro in a size 52.

915g. (Announced as 820g in 54 so 800 in 52?) Way more than my 826g V1.

The fork is 496g (cut down). (Announced 463g) Also heavier than V1

Frame with seatpost in position is 1128g, so seatpost isn't that light either.

All of these are a long long way from what was announced.

I'm out. Not just because my bike would be 200g heavier which in the scheme of things, isn't the end of the world, but more on the annoyance that I'm being mis sold something. Don't announce it as 820g if it is a million miles away from that. Just tell the truth or you risk your credibility. At 5 1/2 grand you would hope for better.
So presumably 120-150g over spec for the frame alone in a 54 (the one they actually list). Fork sounds like it might be 100g over if it's 33g over an uncut spec, once cut. Expected given their form on latter V1 models and the new O2 which I think is coming in even heavier than that. Moral of the story, don't believe a word they say.

Also, 5.5k? Is it not 5.7k€ before VAT? The listing said 5.7+VAT.
They might not be lying...Depends on the colour plus quoted weight is usually without any hardware - front + rear derailleur hangers, bottle cage bolts, some rubber plugs etc. So that 915g might be well within some tolerance.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

@cyclespeed: Frames do come with the ceramic speed BB instlalled, I believe, which should be around 100g. Did the LBS weigh it with or without the BB?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:09 pm
@cyclespeed: Frames do come with the ceramic speed BB instlalled, I believe, which should be around 100g. Did the LBS weigh it with or without the BB?
The only thing attached to that 915g frame was the front mech hangar. Everything else was off, including the BB.

I will be putting out a video on this this evening which will include several photos of the frame and fork on the scales.

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

The white paper clearly states "size 54 painted frame and fork 'chrome/black' used for evaluation. Individual results can vary depending on paint selection and size."

I would not be surprised at all if the 'white/chrome' colorway adds circa 100-150 grams to the frame weight and 50-60 grams to the fork.

sigma

by sigma

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:35 pm
The white paper clearly states "size 54 painted frame and fork 'chrome/black' used for evaluation. Individual results can vary depending on paint selection and size."

I would not be surprised at all if the 'white/chrome' colorway adds circa 100-150 grams to the frame weight and 50-60 grams to the fork.
So there is a video on the FB Factor Page of a Dura Ace Chrome coming in at 6.86 with the BI new wheels as a point of reference. Another user just asked the size so we can see what that comes to but looked like a 56.
Last edited by sigma on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

kode54

by kode54

cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:06 pm
So my LBS just weighed 'my' V2 Ostro in a size 52.

915g. (Announced as 820g in 54 so 800 in 52?) Way more than my 826g V1.

The fork is 496g (cut down). (Announced 463g) Also heavier than V1

Frame with seatpost in position is 1128g, so seatpost isn't that light either.

All of these are a long long way from what was announced.

I'm out. Not just because my bike would be 200g heavier which in the scheme of things, isn't the end of the world, but more on the annoyance that I'm being mis sold something. Don't announce it as 820g if it is a million miles away from that. Just tell the truth or you risk your credibility. At 5 1/2 grand you would hope for better.
So, 820g in 54 as in unpainted with absolutely nothing on it?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sigma

by sigma

cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:54 pm
Yeah was kinda excited to ride this later today, but it feels like a backward step to me. Light weight and a flickable bike are more important to me than aero. I want to have fun on the bike, I'm not chasing the very last 1kmh average speed.

I would very much like Factor to show us a V2 in Siz e 54 that weighs 820g. In their dreams perhaps?

Back of a fag packet calculation now shows that an SL8 would be around 400g lighter than this, and that is not to be (speed) sniffed at!
Given where you ride I don't blame you. I think it's more disappointing on the marketing / credibility side than anything else. Weights probably similar to the new BMC I guess. I have not bought a new Factor in a while and was looking forward to this one but I think I will wait to see whether the Black paint scheme comes in (a lot) lighter.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

ichobi

by ichobi

As I said a few pages back. We can safely move from the notion that Ostro is a lightweight-aero hybrid and squarely move it to the full aero, rather heavy, S5/Aeroad kind of bike. You are trading up 100+ gram of weight for a handful more watts if you are coming from the first gen.

It works for the pro team since they can pair up with the new wheels to get near uci weight limit but difficult for most of us who already have some pair of good wheels.

They haven’t been able to deliver the claimed weight since first gen. A bit disappointing to be honest given Factor has their own Factory which they continue to tout as having better QA/QC than other brands.
Last edited by ichobi on Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

ichobi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:34 pm
As I said a few pages back. We can safely move from the notion that Ostro is a lightweight-aero hybrid and squarely move it to the full aero, rather heavy, S5/Aeroad kind of bike.
That's if it even tests close to those two, and not just according to Factor's sales literature
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:28 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:09 pm
The only thing attached to that 915g frame was the front mech hangar. Everything else was off, including the BB.

I will be putting out a video on this this evening which will include several photos of the frame and fork on the scales.
Unfortunatley the SL8 or Aeroroad would probably give you more of what you want.. However the new foil is interesting...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

sigma

by sigma

ichobi wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:34 pm
As I said a few pages back. We can safely move from the notion that Ostro is a lightweight-aero hybrid and squarely move it to the full aero, rather heavy, S5/Aeroad kind of bike. You are trading up 100+ gram of weight for a handful more watts if you are coming from the first gen.

It works for the pro team since they can pair up with the new wheels to get near uci weight limit but difficult for most of us who already have some pair of good wheels.

They haven’t been able to deliver the claimed weight since first gen. A bit disappointing to be honest given Factor has their own Factory which they continue to tout as having better QA/QC than other brands.
I think my Factor One rim is a fine aero bike and climbs quite well with a pair of Caden Decadence 45 rims. It's really comfortable and very fast to my perception. Other than tire clearance, can't think of a reason to upgrade to the new Ostro as of right now.

Tooslow

by Tooslow

I'd have to surmise that we have reached the point where a lighter carbon frame gives up durability. With the SL8 frame weighing 200g less I'd think that we are at that point?

Looking at the SL 8 frame you can see they have reduced the BB area, slightly thinner down tube, etc, so quite obvoiusly less material on that frame.

6-8 watts in savings @45km/hr adds a bit of weight as we can see in the S5 and now the Ostro. Dissapointing that Factor (and the other companies) cannot quote actual weights.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

So my 5 year old Venge a full on aero bike has a lighter frameset. :lol: What is Factor going for here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com