2024 Factor Ostro sighted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

I don't own a Factor, nor do I have I any vested interests here.

It seems to me that we need to wait to see a sampling of 'real world' weights for the new Ostro frame and fork in size 54cm, in the black/chrome colorway, before we can come to the conclusion that they have missed or mis-represented the benchmarks mentioned in their white paper. Based on the weights that cyclespeed shared with us for the white/chrome colorway in size 54cm, my hunch is that Factor's numbers are going to prove to be fairly accurate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

He shared weights for a 52. So a size down on Factor's stated numbers.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

CustomMetal wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:08 pm
cyclespeed wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:28 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:09 pm
@cyclespeed: Frames do come with the ceramic speed BB instlalled, I believe, which should be around 100g. Did the LBS weigh it with or without the BB?
The only thing attached to that 915g frame was the front mech hangar. Everything else was off, including the BB.

I will be putting out a video on this this evening which will include several photos of the frame and fork on the scales.
Unfortunatley the SL8 or Aeroroad would probably give you more of what you want.. However the new foil is interesting...
Scott Foil RC that is on safabrian's yt (sponsored by Scott) has some seriously gucci parts to get it down to 6.6kg The actual frameset is heavier than the 24 Ostro. Foil is great because it's light for a full on aero bike but with the component spec, most can get a disc road under 6.8 pretty easily. The Foil HMX ww build would be nice to see someone get that full aero bike down to 6.3 or so.

Cyclespeed Tours can get a few good framesets besides the SL8 and still be under 6.8-6.7 pretty easily. Though the SL8 certainly is a great choice too.

GrassQ

by GrassQ

I think that Ostros weight is about in right level compared to other aero or allrounders. Overall weight is very good, but that includes 1.270 g light aero wheels.

Aero should be also there, if we can trust atleast a little to their white paper.
Although IMO, it looks that there is something wrong especially S5 2023 numbers and aerocurve (maybe stock wheels are not in this case high profile Reserves)

kode54

by kode54

Tooslow wrote:I'd have to surmise that we have reached the point where a lighter carbon frame gives up durability. With the SL8 frame weighing 200g less I'd think that we are at that point?

Looking at the SL 8 frame you can see they have reduced the BB area, slightly thinner down tube, etc, so quite obvoiusly less material on that frame.

6-8 watts in savings @45km/hr adds a bit of weight as we can see in the S5 and now the Ostro. Dissapointing that Factor (and the other companies) cannot quote actual weights.
Well, if Factor wants to sell more Ostro’s and especially to previous owners, they’ll have to make improvements to the newer frameset including weight. I myself would be interested if it was lighter than my first gen Ostro
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

kode54 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:03 pm
Tooslow wrote:I'd have to surmise that we have reached the point where a lighter carbon frame gives up durability. With the SL8 frame weighing 200g less I'd think that we are at that point?

Looking at the SL 8 frame you can see they have reduced the BB area, slightly thinner down tube, etc, so quite obvoiusly less material on that frame.

6-8 watts in savings @45km/hr adds a bit of weight as we can see in the S5 and now the Ostro. Dissapointing that Factor (and the other companies) cannot quote actual weights.
Well, if Factor wants to sell more Ostro’s and especially to previous owners, they’ll have to make improvements to the newer frameset including weight. I myself would be interested if it was lighter than my first gen Ostro
It feels stupid to write this since you are to well aware of some facts.
But do you consider stiffness, durability and such when you come to that final decision?
If we honor the designer and yes, i write this even though i consider weight, but i would seriously rather pick +50g than a frame that end up as a warranty issue.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:52 pm
kode54 wrote:

But do you consider stiffness, durability and such when you come to that final decision?
If we honor the designer and yes, i write this even though i consider weight, but i would seriously rather pick +50g than a frame that end up as a warranty issue.
I don't see room for a weight improvement worth paying for. The original Ostro is already at the lighter end of aero-ish bikes. I doubt it could ever lose a meaningful amount of weight and be the same bike. Far more weight savings are possible with bar, saddle, wheels, tires, etc. choices, than a lighter frame could ever deliver. And component weight loss would not increase risk of failure, or comprimise stellar ride characteristics. Certainly wouldn't want to change that.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

joss

by joss

How would this new Ostro compare to a Scott Addict RC?

ichobi

by ichobi

wheelsONfire wrote:
kode54 wrote:

The only problem here is the advertised weight and real world weight do mot match and Factor has a history of not being able to meet the advertised weight. It could weight 600 or 900 for all I care if Factor delivers as advertised. It will still be a good bike. A product this expensive should at least deliver what it advertised not 100g heavier than claimed.

Second - i haven’t seen a bike like aethos break or get a recall yet. It’s probably safe to assume we can have a safe and performant light bike.

Third - from a first gen ostro owner perspective, this new Ostro doesn’t seem like an enticing upgrade given from the two samples we have here, they are both heavier than my first gen ostro frame. The first gen already a really good bike. For those that jump from another brand, this Ostro is probably a good option for an aero bike.

GrassQ

by GrassQ

Weighted frame was different color than advertised frame (white chrome vs. black chrome) .Usually whte is one of the heaviest colors.
If I remember right SL8 frame in white dune color is +- 800 g in size 52. Ok, its a totally different color and bike, but shows that 100 g difference is easily possible.

Factor weights flicker vs black chrome (if we trust factors claims) bikeradar.com:
A painted, size-54cm 2024 Ostro VAM frame is claimed to weigh 820g, compared to 865.2g for the previous version.
Curiously, when the previous-generation Ostro VAM launched, Factor quoted a frame weight of 780g in a size 54cm.
The 780g figure related to Factor’s ultra-light ‘Flicker’ paintjob, though, whereas the 2024 weights are based on Factor’s new ‘chrome/black’ paint.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

Correction S-Works Tarmac SL8 frame in white dune color size 52 is 729g.

GrassQ

by GrassQ

Other source from weightweenies: So quite big difference, could be partly hardware

Bespoke Cycling just posted frame weights:
- Dune White 52 - 803g
- RTP 56 - 741g
- Satin Powder Indigo 49 - 756g
White is heavy AF. The "black" color ways are the way to go clearly here.

Tour magazin measured 56 size 723 g, probably satin carbon.

Edit. my main point was that color can effect to weight quite a lot: tour weighted white sl7 frame and it was 1064/451/66 and claimed weight painted was 920 g (different paint)

reedplayer

by reedplayer

GrassQ wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:14 am
......Edit. my main point was that color can effect to weight quite a lot: tour weighted white sl7 frame and it was 1064/451/66 and claimed weight painted was 920 g (different paint)
Correct, it is well known, that white adds a lot of extra weight, because it requires several coats of varnish to cover well. Of course not compare to a lets say, thin matte black coat where the carbon is shimmering through.

kode54

by kode54

wheelsONfire wrote:
kode54 wrote:

It goes without saying.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ichobi

by ichobi

Interesting that their stock white color for the second gen is half white which is rather nice. Full white could weight a ton.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com