lighter levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tanjz

by tanjz

Is there any lighter substitution for the original levers of Shimano 8170(UT di2 2*12) groupset?
They are 391g/pair according to Shimano website, so I'm looking for something around 200g.
I don't need the shift levers anymore(planning to try some DIY SRAM option as I've changed to 1X), only the brake levers will do, brake levers have to be compatible with the original hydraulic disc brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Welcome to the forum.

200g is a very aggressive target

Can you please be more specific on what you are asking for? From my first pass reading I take it you are looking for a 2x front 12x rear shifting electronic hydro setup but if you are trying to do something different it will be easier to achieve your 200g goal.

Unfortunately due to the hydrolic reservoir and fluid volume used for 12s shimano 200g will be impossible to hit unless you are willing to drop road components and use mountain bike shifters that dont integrate with road handlebars well at all. On top of that Shimano 12s road is the lightest electronic 12s shifter hydrolic system on the market so you would have to compromise hydro, STI, or be willing to drill you shifters to save significant shifter weight.

The closest to 200g hydro disc shifters without extremely major compromises you can likely get without hood modifications or dilling is one hydro 12s shimano di2 shifter with optimized clamp band and a mech rear shifter which drops hydro but the hood shape wont match.

If you are willing to go 1x front you can save weight but is it worth it?
If you are willing to go 11x rear you can save weight but is it worth it?
If you are willing to drop hydro for the rear you can save weight but is it worth it?
If you are willing to drop hydro for the front you can save weight but is it worth it?

tanjz

by tanjz

To simplify the problem, I don't need a shift lever at all, only need brake levers that work with shimano hydro disc brake

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

The only hydraulic brake only levers I know of are TRP Hylix but they're not light. Supposed to be good though:

https://trpcycling.com/product/hylex-rs-black/

tanjz

by tanjz

CampagYOLO wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:54 am
The only hydraulic brake only levers I know of are TRP Hylix but they're not light. Supposed to be good though:

https://trpcycling.com/product/hylex-rs-black/
slightly heavier than original UT ones LOL

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

For anything lighter than Dura Ace it'll require something more inventive.
This thread has a realy cool build and some very light hydraulic brake levers:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165270

tanjz

by tanjz

CampagYOLO wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:46 am
For anything lighter than Dura Ace it'll require something more inventive.
This thread has a realy cool build and some very light hydraulic brake levers:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=165270
can't see the pics, don't know why

hogehoge

by hogehoge

9180 levers are 99g if you don't mind using bullhorn bars

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 180-R.html

xsnailx

by xsnailx

tanjz wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:17 am
Is there any lighter substitution for the original levers of Shimano 8170(UT di2 2*12) groupset?
They are 391g/pair according to Shimano website, so I'm looking for something around 200g.
I don't need the shift levers anymore(planning to try some DIY SRAM option as I've changed to 1X), only the brake levers will do, brake levers have to be compatible with the original hydraulic disc brake

if you dont need electric ones go with ratio ratchet and red 22 levers + xx rear derralieur. strip internals from left lever (easy and reversible)

tanjz

by tanjz

hogehoge wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:59 am

does that mean I have to change to TT bar?

tanjz

by tanjz

xsnailx wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:02 am
tanjz wrote:

if you dont need electric ones go with ratio ratchet and red 22 levers + xx rear derralieur. strip internals from left lever (easy and reversible)
thanks for advice, how do I search this stuff tho?Do u maybe have a link?

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

tanjz wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:16 pm
xsnailx wrote:
tanjz wrote:

The Ratio kit gives you detailed instructions and is easy to do, I've done it myself.

You can then use those instructions to remove the internals from the left lever.

tanjz

by tanjz

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:25 pm
tanjz wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:16 pm
xsnailx wrote:
tanjz wrote:

The Ratio kit gives you detailed instructions and is easy to do, I've done it myself.

You can then use those instructions to remove the internals from the left lever.
Found that~ Would consider as an option, thks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hogehoge

by hogehoge

tanjz wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:15 pm
hogehoge wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:59 am

does that mean I have to change to TT bar?
Yes but just the basebar or flip chop some regular drop bars
Like this hillclimb bike
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/hill-climb-tech-gallery