Specialized Aethos or Tarmac SL8 for tall, heavier, non racer?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

guyfromscene24

by guyfromscene24

Hi, first poster here but looking for advice. I'm 6'5", 195 lbs, and looking for a new bike. My 2011 Tarmac Pro bit the dust (bottom bracket frame issue which amazingly Specialized is warranting by giving me 30% off a new bike). I was very happy with my SL3 tarmac, but my LBS is saying the newer Tarmacs really don't ride like the older ones, and it might be too stiff for me. I'm in my mid 50s, no longer race, but still like to ride hard. I ride mostly the foothills/mountains west of the front range in colorado. I like the philosophy of the Aethos (non aeor, more comfortable, more traditional, easy to work on, etc) but worry it might be too light for me. Last thing I want is something that might shimmy on downhills. Since I don't race I don't want to get beat up on longer rides, but then again my SL3 never beat me up. It seems maybe the SL8 is compliant enough, especially for a size 61 frame? If read some reviews of the Aethos stating that for 185 lb riders +, it might be a bit too noodly? Thoughts? Due to the warranty I'm pretty much trapped between these two options (likely the pro level - can't afford the sworks).

Thoughs?

Thanks,

Ronin416

by Ronin416

I’d say get the SL7, at first you’re probably thinking it’s too much of a race bike but consider the following things.

Your comment about a noodle of a frame and the length of the carbon tubes of a frame your size. So it may actually workout for you with the SL7.

You’ll be confident in the descending capability.

The SL8 is literally an Aethos backend on the bike, but some may argue it’s stiff enough- but what are we comparing? Stiff enough on a 52cm frame isn’t the same a one your size.

In today’s day and age, you’ll probably run 30mm wide tires for the utmost comfort, that will add in the confidence department as well with that additional grip in the corners.

If that’s not enough comfort - you can always wrap the bars in some 3.2mm Lizard Skins bar tape for extra cush.

Plus - the SL7’s are on sale due to extra stock. SL8’s are no where to be seen - typical for 1st year release framesets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

I'm a bit shorter than you at just over 6' and weigh in the low 180s, depending on time of year. I've had a 58 SWorks Aethos for three seasons, probably 12-15,000 km, and don't find it a noodle. Then again, I was 70 when I started riding it and don't have the power I once had. I also have a 58 Aethos in the next level down that I bought because I liked the first one so much and wanted something for a second place in the mountains west of Calgary. It's fine too.

My only Tarmac experience is with an SL6 that I rented in Mallorca. Frankly, I didn't find its ride all that different from the Aethos. A bit heavier and higher gearing (11-30 and 50-34 vs. 10-33 and 46-33 on the Aethos) but both handled well at speed. On routes around here, I get up to mid 70s km/hr quite often and don't have any wobble with the SWorks.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Dont know where this hoax came from but the Aethos isnt any more comfortable than the SL7, SL8, SL6 or Venge. its the same geometry.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

guyfromscene24

by guyfromscene24

ViperFFM wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:01 pm
Dont know where this hoax came from but the Aethos isnt any more comfortable than the SL7, SL8, SL6 or Venge. its the same geometry.
Yes, same geometry, but isn't it more compliant, absorbing more of the jolts from the road?

Shadco

by Shadco

You might want to think about a Roubaix.

CasualRider

by CasualRider

I would suggest SL7 non-S-Works. Non-S-Works mainly because you wont benefit from small weight difference. Since you're not a racer and a bigger guy I think picking the most comfortable setup is the way to go. Put Terra CL or CLX wheels with 30mm tires and enjoy super comfy ride.

I'm a racer and much smaller/lighter than you but this is what I'm riding off-season. I recently switched to SL8 and it's a harsher ride than SL7 (which is ok for me). On top of that, if you're not planning on doing big sprints, none of the bikes you mentioned will feel noodly.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

freepk

by freepk

@guyfromscene24, sl8 :)

guyfromscene24

by guyfromscene24

CasualRider wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:08 pm
I would suggest SL7 non-S-Works. Non-S-Works mainly because you wont benefit from small weight difference. Since you're not a racer and a bigger guy I think picking the most comfortable setup is the way to go. Put Terra CL or CLX wheels with 30mm tires and enjoy super comfy ride.

I'm a racer and much smaller/lighter than you but this is what I'm riding off-season. I recently switched to SL8 and it's a harsher ride than SL7 (which is ok for me). On top of that, if you're not planning on doing big sprints, none of the bikes you mentioned will feel noodly.
Thanks for the advice - unfortunately I don't think Specialized has any more SL7s in a 61 frame - at least if you believe their website. I'm actually surprised to hear that the sl8 is a harsher ride - given that many compare the rear triangle to the Aethos. Hmm...

freepk

by freepk

@guyfromscene24, i have booth of them Aethos and SL8, just doesnt think and catch SL8 :)

hannawald

by hannawald

guyfromscene24 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:00 pm
CasualRider wrote:

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately I don't think Specialized has any more SL7s in a 61 frame - at least if you believe their website. I'm actually surprised to hear that the sl8 is a harsher ride - given that many compare the rear triangle to the Aethos. Hmm...
if you believe the reviews SL8 should be more comfortable. About the same aero, slightly lighter, marginally stiffer and more comfortable than SL7. Comfort is also affected by tires, tire pressure, wheels, bars etc...

CasualRider

by CasualRider

hannawald wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:03 pm
guyfromscene24 wrote:
CasualRider wrote:

if you believe the reviews SL8 should be more comfortable. About the same aero, slightly lighter, marginally stiffer and more comfortable than SL7. Comfort is also affected by tires, tire pressure, wheels, bars etc...
Reviews are nice and all but they all say the same thing mainly because if they don't Specialized won't send them bikes to review. There is very little bad they can say. I switched from exact same setup. And if you think about it, if you make something lighter, you need to make it stiffer to keep the same overall stiffness and if you make something stiffer, it's really hard to make it more comfortable.
The rear feels about the same may be bit stiffer, but the front is definitely harsher. Which is expected given you have venge like fork.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

AJS914

by AJS914

guyfromscene24 wrote:
You might check ebay. I seen a lot of SL7s lately (new with warranty) on sale. On the Specialized web site, you can also click on "Find in store" and that will show you all the ones in stock at local bike shops.

Looks like the SL7 Expert and Comp is available in 61 on their web site.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

guyfromscene24 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:36 am
...but my LBS is saying the newer Tarmacs really don't ride like the older ones, and it might be too stiff for me.
Thanks,
What a line of complete bullshit. Time for a new LBS.

At your weight, no decently designed modern frame will be too stiff (tires, wheels, saddle, seatpost and handlebar will be responsible for 90% of the compliance anyway). But if you ride agressively you may find some frames to be too flexy.

And at your height, the correct geometry should be priority one. If you can get a decent fit on a Tarmac, I wouldn't hesitate for one second (if you are stuck with Specialized because of the discount). And if you can't fit a Tarmac, then I guess it's the Roubaix for you. That bike is also loved by many owners. As for the Aethos, some riders have complained about a lack of stiffness.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

:noidea:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.