Where is new SRAM Red?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chmiel

by chmiel

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:05 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
KuB3 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:55 am
I was thinking the same thing, but I will be suprised if it work with SRAM Force D1 shifter by example
SRAM has gone on record as saying all AXS electronic devices working with each other is part of their philosophy. I’d be shocked if that changed now. They want to keep you in their ecosystem, not give you reasons to switch away to Shimano. You should fully expect a 13-speed Red XPLR upgrade kit with RD, cassette and chain for $1200 or so.
Make it 2000
Yes, I think Red XPLR Transmission will be expensive! Enjoy early adopters :) (thats me)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

chmiel wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:21 pm

Yes, I think Red XPLR Transmission will be expensive! Enjoy early adopters :) (thats me)
The XX SL RD is US$650, the cassette is $600 and the chain is $150, so I can't see an "upgrade kit" costing more than ~$1400. Add two shifter/caliper sets for $675 each and a power meter crankset for $1200 and a Hammerhead Karoo for $475 though and yeah the full group will be ... a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

excremanwu

by excremanwu

Thinking about mixing etap axs rim brake lever with new axs front and rear derailleur and it would likely be fine in veiw of the cross-compatibility of axs parts.

However, I wanna make use of the dura-ace 12 speed cassette and chain on hand. Having done some researches, the most possible problem should be the axs pulley which was designed for sram flat top chain that with larger roller (I tried running shimano 12sp chain with sram 12sp mtb rear derailleur after peeling off some material from the lower pulley, it works but not perfectly smooth).

Is there any aftermarket pulley which is shimano chain compatible and can be installed on sram axs rear derailleur? :beerchug:

stalkersk

by stalkersk

I think you are looking for a problem that does not exist, I ran Eagle and KMC X12 chain on XPLR derailleur without any problems, same would be for newer shimano 12 speed chain. You issue on mtb derailleur could have been old shimano quick link which had compatibility problems even with some chainrings. No pulley chaingin is necessary.

morrisond

by morrisond

I just got an email from Garmin, the buttons on the new levers can control a Garmin.

steve100

by steve100

Did Garmin specify how that would work? I am able to pair the shifters with my Garmin 1030 Plus like with previous generation Red AXS, but I don't see how to configure the hood buttons for Garmin control.
I switched the buttons to 'Ant+' in the SRAM app...but can't figure out on my 1030 how to link them

jfranci3

by jfranci3

chmiel wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:19 pm

Also, the Red XPLR Transmission will be a significant weight increase from prior Red XPLR AXS; I'm thinking 10%-15% weight increase (slightly offset by the new RED chain). And it will be costly. This is why I am also thinking that SRAM will continue to produce and sell Red XPLR AXS 12spd after the introduction of Red XPLR Transmission 13spd. The early adopters will be paying for SRAM to develop 13spd road/gravel to eventually replace 12spd but not anytime soon imo. If SRAM will be successful with 13spd for road/gravel they will trickle it down to Force and Rival I think that is a 5yr+ plan.
12spd AXS will live on for a long time as the light weight 2x electronic groupset imo.
12sp Red XPLR RD w/o battery = 296gr (+20 gram hanger)
12sp XX SL RD w/o battery = 416gr (looks like 10gr of that is the cage and another 10gr for the pulleys)

XX SL cassette = 345gr
There's no Red XPLR cassette, so 1271 = 378gr (10-36, the red cassette is 75gr lighter. Similar difference between GX Trans and XX SL)

GX/Force 11sp XD 10-42 vs 12sp XPLR = 50gr difference
Transmission vs non Trans = 350gr vs 440gr (XX std)

So it looks like the penalty will be about 90gr in the RD and the cassette will be about 25gr lighter than the force cassette. 65gr 12sp vs 13sp. Price should be the same as XX SL, which is similar to Red 12sp. I'm thinking they'll just fold XX SL and Red XPLR into one... suprise XX SL RDs were 13sp all along.

gplama

by gplama

steve100 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:10 pm
I switched the buttons to 'Ant+' in the SRAM app...but can't figure out on my 1030 how to link them
The Garmin communication I'm seeing on this only lists the Edge x40 series. I've got this on my list to test later today or over the weekend with updated x30 series Edge units. 

steve100

by steve100

Thanks you. Garmin support literally told me the problem is with the shifters...duh.

It should only be a software update, so basically unwillingness from their side if this is not supported. I suppose it's a way to force users to buy a new device (or look at competitors)

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Weights of new Red crank arms (167.5) and rainbow cassette (10-30)

northboy

by northboy

steve100 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:35 am
Thanks you. Garmin support literally told me the problem is with the shifters...duh.

It should only be a software update, so basically unwillingness from their side if this is not supported. I suppose it's a way to force users to buy a new device (or look at competitors)
I just managed to connected it with my Garmin 1040 Solar. Took me a few minutes. Can controll - list pages by one of buttons on my new RED hoods.
Write it just to confirm that both SRAM and Garmin supports connection at least for 1040.

northboy

by northboy

eucalyptus wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:14 am
gospastic wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:32 pm
Got some weights on new shifters/calipers compared to old:

Including pads
Much much appreciated! I thank you on behalf of everyone :) Kudos :thumbup:

Then we know the weight is from the shifters and not really the calipers, who would be dumb enough to use axs calipers when Hope RX4+ is superior.

Concerning the shape of the new shifter I really like the old ones! High and tall hoods, it gives a good gripd and doesnt feel like I will slip over the hood with my hand even when sweaty or wet. I rely immensely on the hoods as I ride a very slammed cockpit. Smaller hoods wouldnt give the same grip in the hands or stop me from going overboard.
I am not sure if any of those calippers at pictures is new RED. I actully think it is not. At least my looks different, it has holes in the body.

northboy

by northboy

There were questions what is the weight of 10-36 cassette. I just weighted mine and its 232 grams.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

northboy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:21 am

I am not sure if any of those calippers at pictures is new RED. I actully think it is not. At least my looks different, it has holes in the body.
At least take a closer look before questioning other people postings. Its only due to the angle of the picture that the holes less visible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

northboy wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:21 am

It's clearly the new calipers it's just pictured with brake pads installed covering up the holes. But they are still very visible/noticeable.