Where is new SRAM Red?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

ArtV wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:24 pm
Just ordered some new 165mm cranks. Being short, we'll see if replacing my 170mm cranks will be an improvement.

Did a 103 mile ride with 9400 feet of climbing on Saturday. As you can imagaine, there was a LOT of front shifting and the new Red FD was perfect. I found the auto-trim feature interesting.
How short are you? Asking for a... okay, asking for me. I'm the friend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtV

by ArtV

twoangstroms wrote:
ArtV wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:24 pm
Just ordered some new 165mm cranks. Being short, we'll see if replacing my 170mm cranks will be an improvement.

Did a 103 mile ride with 9400 feet of climbing on Saturday. As you can imagaine, there was a LOT of front shifting and the new Red FD was perfect. I found the auto-trim feature interesting.
How short are you? Asking for a... okay, asking for me. I'm the friend.
I'm 5'5".......

Sent from my SM-X810 using Tapatalk

KuB3

by KuB3

Wondering if the new Red XPLR 13s derailleur will work with other AXS shifter 👀👀

carbocation

by carbocation

KuB3 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:16 am
Wondering if the new Red XPLR 13s derailleur will work with other AXS shifter 👀👀
It looked like Bottas was using the new Red levers with that unreleased 13s RD, so they appear compatible. Also it would be very SRAM-like for them to keep them in the ecosystem. I don't think the levers even know what gear the RD is in, do they?

KuB3

by KuB3

I was thinking the same thing, but I will be suprised if it work with SRAM Force D1 shifter by example

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

KuB3 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:55 am
I was thinking the same thing, but I will be suprised if it work with SRAM Force D1 shifter by example
SRAM has gone on record as saying all AXS electronic devices working with each other is part of their philosophy. I’d be shocked if that changed now. They want to keep you in their ecosystem, not give you reasons to switch away to Shimano. You should fully expect a 13-speed Red XPLR upgrade kit with RD, cassette and chain for $1200 or so.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

TobinHatesYou wrote:
KuB3 wrote:
SRAM has gone on record as saying all AXS electronic devices working with each other is part of their philosophy. I’d be shocked if that changed now. They want to keep you in their ecosystem, not give you reasons to switch away to Shimano. You should fully expect a 13-speed Red XPLR upgrade kit with RD, cassette and chain for $1200 or so.
That would be intriguing. I still think roadies are going to need 14-speed before they switch over (where jumps would potentially be similar to 11-speed 2x).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

gospastic wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:32 pm
Got some weights on new shifters/calipers compared to old:

Including pads
Much much appreciated! I thank you on behalf of everyone :) Kudos :thumbup:

Then we know the weight is from the shifters and not really the calipers, who would be dumb enough to use axs calipers when Hope RX4+ is superior.

Concerning the shape of the new shifter I really like the old ones! High and tall hoods, it gives a good gripd and doesnt feel like I will slip over the hood with my hand even when sweaty or wet. I rely immensely on the hoods as I ride a very slammed cockpit. Smaller hoods wouldnt give the same grip in the hands or stop me from going overboard.

KuB3

by KuB3

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:20 am

That would be intriguing. I still think roadies are going to need 14-speed before they switch over (where jumps would potentially be similar to 11-speed 2x).
Honestly not so much, I already ride on road with a 1x12 setup : 10/44 cassette and 44t or 46t chainring and I don't have issues with gap between speeds.
I just hope SRAM doesn't follow the 9t like Campa

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I think one of the concerns with 1x for road is the large cassette cogs needed to replicate a 2x setup.

A 9t cog helps with this by reducing the size of the chainring that is needed to get a good high gear, so the large cassette cogs can be smaller too. I admit 9t is not great for smoothness/durability/efficiency but 1x for road is always going to be a compromise.

izy

by izy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:16 am
KuB3 wrote:
the problem i see is the fact the new RD uses the UDH standard so it requires specific bike frames

also yes i checked the app you cant control garmin with double tap on 1X T_T maybe in future

robbosmans

by robbosmans

TobinHatesYou wrote:
KuB3 wrote:
Make it 2000

ArtV

by ArtV

I always stuggle posting images.....see next post
Last edited by ArtV on Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtV

by ArtV

New cranks 165mm
Attachments
Cranks.jpg

chmiel

by chmiel

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:16 am
KuB3 wrote:
Agree with this 100%. All AXS Shifters with firmware upgrade should be able to shift 13spd imo.

Also, the Red XPLR Transmission will be a significant weight increase from prior Red XPLR AXS; I'm thinking 10%-15% weight increase (slightly offset by the new RED chain). And it will be costly. This is why I am also thinking that SRAM will continue to produce and sell Red XPLR AXS 12spd after the introduction of Red XPLR Transmission 13spd. The early adopters will be paying for SRAM to develop 13spd road/gravel to eventually replace 12spd but not anytime soon imo. If SRAM will be successful with 13spd for road/gravel they will trickle it down to Force and Rival I think that is a 5yr+ plan.
12spd AXS will live on for a long time as the light weight 2x electronic groupset imo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com