New Wahoo?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

jadedaid wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:08 am
pushpush wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:52 pm
Anything specific motivating the switch? Despite a few remaining bugs and complaints, I find the x40 series to be pretty good.
I find the climb feature to be much better on wahoo roam (even gen 1) than the 1040. The regular map is also much easier to read despite the small screen. The inability to see the remaining altitude profile on a course in the 1040 is an odd oversight. Hopefully Garmin bring that in through a software update. If only their edge products were as good as their watches...

It's a pick your poison type of deal I find.
Agree with this. I'm using all Wahoo at the moment but found my basic Forerunner much better for in app information however I do prefer the Wahoo for during activity

Lina

by Lina

I don't really care what Wahoo does with head units at this point. The ones I have are 2/2 for bad build quality. And while Garmin isn't perfect it's probably where I'll go next unless the new Hammerhead Karoo is really interesting.

In fact every single Wahoo product I've used apart from the 2016 Kickr V2 trainer, which seems to be a tank and shows no signs of wear even after thousands of hours of use, has been awful in terms of build quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flasher

by Flasher

Pal of mine is now on his 3rd warranty replacement unit, so build quality is terrible, but customer service excellent!

BBres

by BBres

So it doesn't mean anything if you take into account tens of thousands sold units and majority of satisfied customers. I also have friends who had their Garmins warranty replaced. No basis for any constructive conclusions.

Zero7

by Zero7

Lina wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:41 am
I don't really care what Wahoo does with head units at this point. The ones I have are 2/2 for bad build quality. And while Garmin isn't perfect it's probably where I'll go next unless the new Hammerhead Karoo is really interesting.

In fact every single Wahoo product I've used apart from the 2016 Kickr V2 trainer, which seems to be a tank and shows no signs of wear even after thousands of hours of use, has been awful in terms of build quality.
I couldn't tell you how many Garmin bike computers I've had replaced under warranty. Switched to wahoo 3 years ago and have had zero issues.
I recently bought a Garmin watch for running and it can be a pita. Garmin support wants me to send it back for replacement

by 208

i wish wahoo would let me look at pedal stroke dynamics from assiomas like garmin does. just curious to see post ride.

BBres

by BBres

208 wrote:i wish wahoo would let me look at pedal stroke dynamics from assiomas like garmin does. just curious to see post ride.
It’s fine. Yet this type of data has absolutely zero meaning for us. Just a gimmick like a number of gear shifts.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

by 208

BBres wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:32 pm
208 wrote:i wish wahoo would let me look at pedal stroke dynamics from assiomas like garmin does. just curious to see post ride.
It’s fine. Yet this type of data has absolutely zero meaning for us. Just a gimmick like a number of gear shifts.

No, it's quite useful, maybe not to you, but definitely for others.

Number of gearshifts sure seems pointless, though.

BBres

by BBres

Give me a break or your name is Jonas Vingegaard. People here exaggerate their needs, potential and capabilities so enormously. Like the guys talking about 2 watts saved at 50 km/h which they reached last time 2 years ago for 1,5 minute.

My coach said it’s one of the last type of data the WT cyclist might want to track, among 50 other much more important factors. I believe he has some knowledge, as a former u17 national team coach.

Lina

by Lina

BBres wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:53 pm
Give me a break or your name is Jonas Vingegaard. People here exaggerate their needs, potential and capabilities so enormously. Like the guys talking about 2 watts saved at 50 km/h which they reached last time 2 years ago for 1,5 minute.

My coach said it’s one of the last type of data the WT cyclist might want to track, among 50 other much more important factors. I believe he has some knowledge, as a former u17 national team coach.
I don't know. Someone with oval rings for example might find the information useful. Also having spent my fair share of time around national team coaches of various sports I won't take anyone seriously who uses being a national team coach as an appeal to authority. Some of the worst coaches I've ever seen have been national team coaches. That doesn't mean there aren't also some brilliant minds coaching national teams but there's also some that make you think how they've made it there every single time they say anything about training.

toxin

by toxin

There is less than 1% to gain from pedaling efficiency. It's literally useless. This is comong from Victor Campanaerts if you still doubt the credibility of the source.

BBres

by BBres

The guys spending their life among an army of national coaches of various sports apparently need this data. They process it and do something that makes them better cyclists. Believe me, they do!

Lina

by Lina

BBres wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:09 pm
The guys spending their life among an army of national coaches of various sports apparently need this data. They process it and do something that makes them better cyclists. Believe me, they do!

It's not that you absolutely need it. But there's no good reason for why they can't record it for those that want the data. There's a lot of data you can show and record on most head units that you don't really need. Wahoo records a lot of data that's completely useless for most people.

BBres

by BBres

Here I agree with you. In fact, in terms of training, you don’t need that much data. I posted my garmin screens above and that’s basically all I need.

However, I must admit that I appreciate some additional data like the VO2max, even though the data provided by Garmin is probably some kind of established VO2max, more or less acurate. The same applies to the the stress score and the performance condition. As far as I know Wahoo does not provide such kind of data. You can track them in external apps like TP or intervals.icu or any other app. Yet It’s nice to be able to check it on your unit. It’s a bummer Wahoo doesn’t have it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 208

toxin wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:35 pm
There is less than 1% to gain from pedaling efficiency. It's literally useless. This is comong from Victor Campanaerts if you still doubt the credibility of the source.
Ah so Victor Campanaerts has used that data to analyse his stroke, good to know! Thanks for that info, all the more reason why I want it now!

And yes, for a wt pro with perfect technique, it is probably less useful.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it may be. Your opinion on how useful it is or isn't doesn't change the fact that the data isn't shown on wahoo and it is shown on Garmin.

At the end of the day, my wahoo doesn't show it and Garmin does. I wish wahoo did show it. Simple =)