New Specialized Roubaix SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Salespunk

by Salespunk

jackmurphy wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:49 pm
Is tire clearance maxed out with the 38c pathfinders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If this question is for me, they are 32 Pathfinders so not close to max clearance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Salespunk

by Salespunk

wolflikeme wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:23 pm
Salespunk wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:19 am
Completed pics from his first ride

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg
To each their own but this is an odd looking setup.
Agreed that it is somewhat shocking to see a mountain cassette on a "road" bike. Reality is that the Roubaix works really well as a fast gravel bike (think BWR San Diego which is where we live) and mullet setups are very common in that world. That is the intent behind the build, a fast gravel build. He also has another wheel setup with a 10-33 cassette and he can mount his FD in about 10 minutes if he has the desire to have closer gear ratios.

One important note that should be reiterated is that this mullet setup actually has a higher top end and and lower low end when compared to traditional 10-33/48-36 setup. There are much larger jumps between each gear so there are definitely trade offs.

Salespunk

by Salespunk

danridesbikes wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:53 pm
i ran 52/52 for a hilly 116 mile 4000m+ ride, it looked funky, but having 1:1 worked really well

Love this setup!

Laruso20

by Laruso20

TLN wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:54 pm
I'm really curious about reasoning for those 35-38-clearance bikes.
If you care about aerodynamics, hidden cables what's the reason to go past 32-35c (may be) tires? Widest road rims are 33-34mm anyway.
If you don't care and want something you can ride off-road around gravel, might take even bigger clearance: few mill extra won't hurt: 40mm or 45mm why not?

Now there's very interesting wheelset: Nextie AGX with 29mm width (and 35-36mm external), I'm really interested to try that, but don't have a bike where it will fit.
I'm one of these guys who really looking out for slightly more clearance than 35 mm. Because I'm not a professional racer being paid for and don't has to be on the bike, instead I do ride just for fun, want to have more compliance and willing to ride one to two sizes up in tires. That's also because my roads and bike paths need that too. Therefor I want to ride 35 C tires on a wide rim. And yes, with the Nextie AGX and Light Bicycle WG44 there are wide rims that are 36-37/38 mm at the rim bead, resulting in an areo advantage because of the tire not wider than the rim. ;-)

As I say aero advantage I definitely don't mean it's the most aero you can get. Otherwise all have to be time trialists. But things have to be in relation / respective to the needs and goals of the individual riders!

req110

by req110

Salespunk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:30 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:10 pm
How did he fit the t-type RD? Is the shifting good?
Shifting is perfect. It requires a CNC machined piece on the driveside which mounts as part of the hangar. Currently test fitting it on several different bikes as well.

Surprised nobody noticed or asked about the Ti crankset....
Can you show more details? That may help people without udh hanger to run T-type on other bikes no?
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

danridesbikes wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:53 pm
i ran 52/52 for a hilly 116 mile 4000m+ ride, it looked funky, but having 1:1 worked really well

Whatever floats your boat. That is my nightmare.

Salespunk

by Salespunk

req110 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:08 pm
Salespunk wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:30 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:10 pm
How did he fit the t-type RD? Is the shifting good?
Shifting is perfect. It requires a CNC machined piece on the driveside which mounts as part of the hangar. Currently test fitting it on several different bikes as well.

Surprised nobody noticed or asked about the Ti crankset....
Can you show more details? That may help people without udh hanger to run T-type on other bikes no?
Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town on a bike trip. 5Dev will be releasing details soon and I can share then. Apologize for not sharing straight away, but they have a lot of R&D into this and it is not mine to share first.

req110

by req110

S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

I think the new Roubaix is too much "specialized" for the Paris-Roubaix (Bora and Quickstep are not even going to use it I bet) and it's not a true endurance bike. With the increased tire clearance (which I like), it's just too close to the Diverge. I think they should have ditched the Future Shock which works well but it's probably too much for a road focused bike, too heavy and ugly and a maintenace nightmare. I think they'd be better off creating a lockable "Future Stem" similar to the Redshift or Cane Creek eeSilk so that the overall bike is much lighter and better looking, it is possible to have semi integrated cables through the top cover and if you don't need the added suspension you can just swap it out for a rigid stem. Bikes like the new Defy with 35mm slick tires is what most people shoud ride on the road and Specialized is missing this segment imo.

jlok

by jlok

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

IOnatER

by IOnatER

2025 S-Works paint options are released. I hope they bring out some more vibrant colors for the 2025 lineup of Sport/Comp/Expert.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/c/rou ... esc&page=1

IOnatER

by IOnatER

Edopizzo wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:03 am
I think they should have ditched the Future Shock which works well but it's probably too much for a road focused bike, too heavy and ugly and a maintenace nightmare.
My 2020 Roubaix Expert has gone 4 years and over 10,000 miles without any service needed to the Future Shock, including several rides with dirt roads, gravel roads, and pouring rain. I love the comfort it provides, and keeping me in control when hitting big bumps in the road, like descending Mount Evans.

I see discussions about lower gearing. My Roubaix is running a Rotor 2InPower crankset with 46/30 chainrings and a SRAM 11-36 cassette, 11 speed.
IMG_9996.jpeg
IMG_9987.jpeg

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'm looking for a new bike for my wife who currently has my old SL6 Sworks.

She can't handle a low position, so the front end is jacked up like 50mm with an extender. Looks awful.

So need a bike with a higher front end. I thought the Roubaix would have a more relaxed position but the geometry shows it has a very small head tube. Is this because of the Future shock gubbins above the frame? How much does this add? Presumably it's just like having spacers above the frame?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks.