New Specialized Roubaix SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TLN

by TLN

I'm really curious about reasoning for those 35-38-clearance bikes.
If you care about aerodynamics, hidden cables what's the reason to go past 32-35c (may be) tires? Widest road rims are 33-34mm anyway.
If you don't care and want something you can ride off-road around gravel, might take even bigger clearance: few mill extra won't hurt: 40mm or 45mm why not?

Now there's very interesting wheelset: Nextie AGX with 29mm width (and 35-36mm external), I'm really interested to try that, but don't have a bike where it will fit.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

TLN wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:54 pm
I'm really curious about reasoning for those 35-38-clearance bikes.
If you care about aerodynamics, hidden cables what's the reason to go past 32-35c (may be) tires? Widest road rims are 33-34mm anyway.
If you don't care and want something you can ride off-road around gravel, might take even bigger clearance: few mill extra won't hurt: 40mm or 45mm why not?

Now there's very interesting wheelset: Nextie AGX with 29mm width (and 35-36mm external), I'm really interested to try that, but don't have a bike where it will fit.
You can care about aerodynamics and still want the ability to go off-road. 90% of my riding I'll get the aero advantage, and run 28s. But the advantage is having one bike that I can take 30 seconds to throw on wide tires and go off-road. I've never in my life needed anything bigger than 38s. So I don't need a full gravel bike. Plus I am not a huge fan of the way most gravel bikes ride. Most feel sluggish compared to a race bike. The Tarmac is just more fun. Plus I think integrated cables look a thousand times better.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

HBike

by HBike

Sram Red version 14.000 Euros. Crazy.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

Seems to me the new Giant Defy is what the Roubaix should have been. Light, decent tyre clearance, no gimmick suspension, more relaxed fit but not gravel bike geometry, and much cheaper to boot (well in Australia at least)

NealH

by NealH

Is the Giant Defy (top model) lighter than the Roubaix (top model) or, are you just speculating? Does the Defy have wider tire clearance than the Roubaix? What is gimmick about the Roubaix suspension, does it not work as advertised? How is it more relaxed, is it smoother?

Or are you just pulling these things out of blue yonder based on your biases?

You might be totally right, but without riding both for a good while I am not able to comment. In the meantime, I think they are both good bikes, and both will likely have their strengths, and perhaps their weaknesses.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

NealH wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:23 am
Is the Giant Defy (top model) lighter than the Roubaix (top model) or, are you just speculating? Does the Defy have wider tire clearance than the Roubaix? What is gimmick about the Roubaix suspension, does it not work as advertised? How is it more relaxed, is it smoother?

You might be totally right, but without riding both for a good while I am not able to comment. In the meantime, I think they are both good bikes, and both will likely have their strengths, and perhaps their weaknesses.
Yes, Defy is marginally lighter, same tire clearance. Agreed both Roubaix and Defy are great bikes, and if people don't like the Roubaix future shock they can lock it out.
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2024-giant-defy/

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

NealH wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:23 am

Complete builds have the Defy slightly larger but the Frame and fork are significantly lighter.

Defy frame/fork: 785g / 350g
Roubaix frame / fork / future shock: 830g / 330g / 450g

Tyre clearance is 38mm on the Defy vs 40mm on the Roubaix.

The future shock does work, but who actually wants it?

Geometry comments are in relation to race bike geometry, I believe the Defy is longer and lower than the Roubaix.

Both are good bikes, but I feel Specialized would appeal to more people by offering a lighter and future shock free version of the Roubaix.

satanas

by satanas

TwiggyForest wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:08 am
Both are good bikes, but I feel Specialized would appeal to more people by offering a lighter and future shock free version of the Roubaix.
^ They do - it's called the Tarmac...

I'd be prepared to buy a 56cm Roubaix tomorrow, except for the absolutely hideous price; it ticks all the boxes for me re geometry, and I'd actually like to have the FS for gravel-ish rides, cobbles, and our sh1t local roads.

cpac54

by cpac54

satanas wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:07 am
TwiggyForest wrote:

I'd be prepared to buy a 56cm Roubaix tomorrow, except for the absolutely hideous price; it ticks all the boxes for me re geometry, and I'd actually like to have the FS for gravel-ish rides, cobbles, and our sh1t local roads.
I think what was meant was, people who need true endurance geometry would like bikes like the Tarmac (ie light, racey), just with shorter reach and taller stack (like Colnago used to do with their High Geometry).

Personally, I fail to see what's "endurance" about the new Giant Defy. It's got the same stack as and longer reach than my old Cervelo RCa for heaven's sake.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

cpac54 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:11 am
Personally, I fail to see what's "endurance" about the new Giant Defy. It's got the same stack as and longer reach than my old Cervelo RCa for heaven's sake.
Defy was always a bit more race oriented than some endurance rivals, but now it just seems to be a TCR with wider tyres. Put 25c tyres on a Defy and it would be hard to tell the difference.

It does give a big hint on how the next TCR will look though. Could be an amazingly light disk frame with integrated cables.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

cpac54 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:11 am
satanas wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:07 am
TwiggyForest wrote:

I think what was meant was, people who need true endurance geometry would like bikes like the Tarmac (ie light, racey), just with shorter reach and taller stack (like Colnago used to do with their High Geometry).

It's shorter and taller than the corresponding TCR and Tarmacs, and a longer wheelbase. Trail is pretty comparable to a race bike but I really like the handling on my Tarmac so it suits me. I would also like a Rivals Roubaix if it wasn't for the price and the future shock which has no benefits for my riding.

sWorksFreak

by sWorksFreak

I've just got my new frameset (S-Works Roubaix 2024, size 52).
The paintjob might be love or hate (I love it, although I wasn't sure at the time of ordering).
I'm sure it will be great when finished building.
Weight of the frame: 801 g
Weight of the fork: 340 g
Attachments
S-Works Roubaix 2024 2024-09-23 0004.jpg
S-Works Tarmac SL7, 6,5 kg
S-Works Aethos, 5,6 kg
S-Works Roubaix, 6,9 kg
S-Works CruX, 6,9 kg
S-Works Diverge, 7,9 kg
S-Works Epic Hardtail, 7,4 kg
S-Works Creo, 11.9 kg
Specialized Sirrus Carbon, 7,7 kg

scapewalker

by scapewalker

sWorksFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:06 pm
The paintjob might be love or hate (I love it, although I wasn't sure at the time of ordering).
Gorgeous paintjob and impressive weight for an endurance frame. Can't wait for pics of the full build.

Matte86

by Matte86

sWorksFreak wrote:I've just got my new frameset (S-Works Roubaix 2024, size 52).
Stunning color!
Spesh nailed this one

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

sWorksFreak wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:06 pm
Great colour and the best part is there isn't an obnoxious Specialized decal on every tube.