New Specialized Roubaix SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jayjay

by jayjay

Last edited by jayjay on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

If it's a new Roubaix then it looks like they haven't been able to solve the issue of Future shock preventing full internal cabling.

MasterBean

by MasterBean

It has arrived.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:56 am
If it's a new Roubaix then it looks like they haven't been able to solve the issue of Future shock preventing full internal cabling.
Which is unfortunate because it could be a pretty killer do it all bike. Honestly, for me personally, if they had a Tarmac SL8 with like clearance for 38s I'd probably sell all my other bikes and go one bike for everything. That would cover 99% of the roads I'm ever going to ride. I have no desire to ever do Unbound. I don't need a gravel bike that can fit 50mm tires. The handful of gravel races/rides I do every year have a fair amount of tarmac in them and probably could be ridden on my Tarmac if I wanted with like 32s, so give me a little extra comfort and slightly bigger tires and I'd be golden. Something like a GP5k 35 or the Specialized Mondo. It's more aero, but could be even more so with hidden cables and a 1-piece bar (curious how the Roval Rapide cockpit would look). It's lighter now. It could probably handle the few CX races I do every year. And the exposed cables do offer ease of maintenance and better/easier travel options for bike bags.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Sock3t

by Sock3t

I am so underwhelmed.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:17 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Which is unfortunate because it could be a pretty killer do it all bike. Honestly, for me personally, if they had a Tarmac SL8 with like clearance for 38s I'd probably sell all my other bikes and go one bike for everything. That would cover 99% of the roads I'm ever going to ride. I have no desire to ever do Unbound. I don't need a gravel bike that can fit 50mm tires. The handful of gravel races/rides I do every year have a fair amount of tarmac in them and probably could be ridden on my Tarmac if I wanted with like 32s, so give me a little extra comfort and slightly bigger tires and I'd be golden. Something like a GP5k 35 or the Specialized Mondo. It's more aero, but could be even more so with hidden cables and a 1-piece bar (curious how the Roval Rapide cockpit would look). It's lighter now. It could probably handle the few CX races I do every year. And the exposed cables do offer ease of maintenance and better/easier travel options for bike bags.
If they could make the Crux more aero, it could be your do-all.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Sock3t wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:17 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:17 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
If they could make the Crux more aero, it could be your do-all.
I have the new Crux and I agree. It's almost perfect. I do wish it was a little more aero. And I actually think the Crux could do with less tire clearance. It limits the gearing options. Like, I can't even run the cross specific 46/36 chainrings. Which I think is funny for their CX bike. I'm running 46/34 right now, and have a 35t in the mail that I think should be fine. So it's doable. Could even run 52/35 for road gearing. But yea, more aero and it's probably my only bike.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

I'm also curious about the gearing. It lists 50/34t as the max 2x groupset gearing. Which seems small. I'm sure you could go bigger and be fine, but seems like an odd decision.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:10 pm
I'm also curious about the gearing. It lists 50/34t as the max 2x groupset gearing. Which seems small. I'm sure you could go bigger and be fine, but seems like an odd decision.
For 99.9% of Roubaix owners that won't be an issue. I think they've given up on the idea of pros riding a Roubaix now as well given the Tarmac and it's tyre clearance is fine for cobbled classics.

I agree with your earlier post that a Roubaix without the future shock stuff hence a lower stack and internal cabling would actually be a very tempting bike

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:17 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:10 pm
For 99.9% of Roubaix owners that won't be an issue. I think they've given up on the idea of pros riding a Roubaix now as well given the Tarmac and it's tyre clearance is fine for cobbled classics.

I agree with your earlier post that a Roubaix without the future shock stuff hence a lower stack and internal cabling would actually be a very tempting bike
Yea I was actually looking at sizing down one to get a racier geo. Would just need to get a longer stem. But I like 52/36 for gearing.

The Cervelo Caledonia-5 looks similar as a "race" endurance bike but only takes 34mm tires. The Domane is nice too but is heavy AF. They all have their own flaws/drawbacks.

Tarmac with even 35mm clearance handles 99% of the riding I'll ever want. Maybe some day.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

garbageman

by garbageman

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:31 pm
Tarmac with even 35mm clearance handles 99% of the riding I'll ever want. Maybe some day.
Enve Melee?

sigma

by sigma

garbageman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:34 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Enve Melee?
Yep. Raced mine last week with 38s on a dry mixed course (no mud). Damn thing is comfortable, aero, and handles great on just about anything. That or the new Krypton Pro would be choice with the Melee being a bit faster and Argon being a bit more comfortable.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

engi

by engi

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:54 pm

I have the new Crux and I agree. It's almost perfect. I do wish it was a little more aero. And I actually think the Crux could do with less tire clearance. It limits the gearing options. Like, I can't even run the cross specific 46/36 chainrings. Which I think is funny for their CX bike. I'm running 46/34 right now, and have a 35t in the mail that I think should be fine. So it's doable. Could even run 52/35 for road gearing. But yea, more aero and it's probably my only bike.
Re: Crux aero - I believe there are several studies of relative effect of bike components on drag, and aside from the wheels, the handlebar comes up as the next highest. So if you just put an aero bar or barstem on the Crux, that will get you most of the way there without resorting to aero tube shapes. And since high gearing is a challenge, it would be hard to ride it fast enough for the aero frame's marginal gains to really kick in :D

I really like the Crux idea personally, as that gravel/road/rigid hard tail (650b) do it all. I don't like the price (more than comparable Roubaix SL8) and the electronic only 2x option. Other than that, it's awesome.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

sigma wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:56 pm
garbageman wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:34 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Enve Melee?
Yep. Raced mine last week with 38s on a dry mixed course (no mud). Damn thing is comfortable, aero, and handles great on just about anything. That or the new Krypton Pro would be choice with the Melee being a bit faster and Argon being a bit more comfortable.
Those two (Melee and Krypton) are probably at the top of my list now for a do everything bike.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com