Hammerhead Karoo 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The display is smaller (though perhaps also the battery) and the SoC is probably manufactured on a smaller process node. Not really going to be any surprises on the battery chemistry front.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dvdrl

by dvdrl

Aryeh wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:10 am
So a slightly smaller screen with higher resolution and double the RAM and faster CPU. I wonder where the battery life improvement is coming from.
Maybe a more efficient chipset. Maybe the older chips were chosen for price, not minimal power consumption

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

480x800 3.2" is exactly the same as Karoo 2, so not sure where this 'smaller screen' comes from?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

usr

by usr

Battery is mostly a software thing, once you take whatever the screen consumes as a given. Assuming that they are still on android they might have found better ways to trim the waste during the super-low compute demand on simple cycling screens (not much happening...). Faster CPU doesn't necessarily imply higher battery use, it can also mean that the CPU goes from two milliseconds of wake time per second to one millisecond of wake time per second.
Last edited by usr on Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lina

by Lina

usr wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:24 am
Battery is mostly a software thing, once you take whatever the screen consumes as a given. Assuming that they are still on android they might have found better ways to trim the waste during the super-low compute demand during regular cycling. Faster CPU doesn't necessarily imply higher battery use, it can also mean that the CPU goes from two milliseconds of wake time per second to one millisecond of wake time per second.
On devices like this by far the biggest battery drains are 1. screen and 2. location services. There's very little you can do with anything else to improve the battery life, especially without sacrificing recording frequency.

usr

by usr

Location should be considered a solved problem in head units, just look at what recording runtimes watches achieve with their tiny batteries.

But it's certainly possible that HH used a GPS chip particularly far from the state of the art in K1/2, e.g. whatever the reference design board for their SoC used and they replaced this for K3. But even there chances are it's mostly software, as in just because you buy0 the same receiver chip Garmin buys doesn't mean you drive it as frugally. Juggling power states is an art where the gap between quick results and optimal results can be huge.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

gorkypl wrote:480x800 3.2" is exactly the same as Karoo 2, so not sure where this 'smaller screen' comes from?
Karoo 2 is 3.5" 640x480 according to this page.

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/product ... ation-list

RDY

by RDY

Aryeh wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:40 pm
gorkypl wrote:480x800 3.2" is exactly the same as Karoo 2, so not sure where this 'smaller screen' comes from?
Karoo 2 is 3.5" 640x480 according to this page.

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/product ... ation-list
That's the Karoo 1. Clue should be in 640x480. Karoo 2 is obviously not 4:3 aspect.

Gx3

by Gx3

When I tried the Karoo 2, I had a terrible problem with glare on the screen from the sun at certain angles. At times, I could not see the screen at all. Or worse, the screen would reflect the sun into my eyes. Has there been anything discovered/done to address that problem? Other than those reflection issues, I enjoyed the computer.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Gx3 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:02 pm
When I tried the Karoo 2, I had a terrible problem with glare on the screen from the sun at certain angles. At times, I could not see the screen at all. Or worse, the screen would reflect the sun into my eyes. Has there been anything discovered/done to address that problem? Other than those reflection issues, I enjoyed the computer.
I had the same screen issue. It was unreadable on sunny days. Great UI but useless if I can't see anything. It would be nice if they could fix it.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Holding my Karoo 2 in my hand this morning felt like a brick and made me look up the weight of a Garmin 840.

The difference is over 50 grams, quite significant to us weight weenies.

I'm happy with the HH K2 overall besides that, but gosh, it's been 4 years since the 2 was launched and one would imagine Sram wants to take a more serious run at Garmin, don't you think?

Any leaks, and if so details as to a spring release for a Karoo 3?

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:13 pm
Holding my Karoo 2 in my hand this morning felt like a brick and made me look up the weight of a Garmin 840.

I'm happy with the HH K2 overall besides that, but gosh, it's been 4 years since the 2 was launched and one would imagine Sram wants to take a more serious run at Garmin, don't you think?

:D I had the same thought when I saw both devices in comparison: in relation to the actual overall weight the difference is even more remarkable.

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Yes. Did you read the rest of the thread?

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

gloscherrybomb wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:28 am

Yes. Did you read the rest of the thread?
Oh course I did.

Perhaps, I should have specified NEW leaks pertaining to precisely what I discussed, re release date, weight...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StijnPiel10

by StijnPiel10

tmrace wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:07 am
toxin wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:09 am
The sram stuff is ppl with 'sources', but as far as specs, software, etc. go we don't really know a damn thing
Some people do know

3.2" ; 480x800 ; 2.0 ghz ; GNSS ; 4gb ram ; 15hr
haha love it
Current:
Road: SW Tarmac SL7 - 7.2kg
Gravel: SW Crux - build in progress