Campagnolo Super Record Wireless - Real World Experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Post Reply
User avatar
ultimobici
in the industry
Posts: 4464
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Trento, Italia
Contact:

by ultimobici

Ol3Tarmac wrote:
keaton wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:42 pm
Thanks for all the feedback!

-As I said before, I have about medium-sized hands (I wear medium gloves? lol) And I will honestly say, I do wish the bottom shift a hair higher, one to two millimeters. Again, perhaps as I ride this more maybe I will adapt, I say this because it is SO close to working perfectly for me. The hoods are very comfortable, I have only done shorter rides so far on this group, hoping to get some really good miles this weekend, if the weather stays nice.

-In my experience, WRL is superior to axs, and equal to di2. But as all high-end groupsets go, they are all good, and a lot comes down to preference.

-You Can customize the shift buttons, I have not played with this at all

-I will click both buttons on my next ride and see what happens, the buttons are sensitive, and I assume whichever one you push a fraction of a second first will deliver the shift.

-Setting up: Our suggestion is to pair all of the parts before mounting to the frame, and follow the pairing order provided in Campagnolo PDF.

-Some videos of the shifting is a good idea, I am out of town riding this weekend, but if I can get to the shop and secure our V4 group I can maybe make this happen. Do people think stand shifting videos would be beneficial?

-Will be mounting a 53/39 crank soon lol I will provide feedback on that as well. Do I dare leave the 10/25 cassette on? :P

Frame is https://www.thepoggio.com/ custom dedacciai scandium - made in italy

looking forward to others thoughts as groups hit the wild, I saw black smith cycle has one, perhaps they are on the board?
One function which im missing so far is the integration of an bike computer by using the new "mode/action button" on the shifters. I read this on serverall publications about the new groupset. Moreover, so far i havent seen any option programm these buttons.

Am i missing something, or has this feature not yet been integrated in the firmware?
I think it was referred to in one of the early tests or articles, but no comment was made by Campag on it. Having just built a Sram AXS bike up I miss that feature too, coming from using Dura Ace for several years. It’s a first world problem though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

by graeme_f_k

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:45 am
Ol3Tarmac wrote:
keaton wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:42 pm
Thanks for all the feedback!

-As I said before, I have about medium-sized hands (I wear medium gloves? lol) And I will honestly say, I do wish the bottom shift a hair higher, one to two millimeters. Again, perhaps as I ride this more maybe I will adapt, I say this because it is SO close to working perfectly for me. The hoods are very comfortable, I have only done shorter rides so far on this group, hoping to get some really good miles this weekend, if the weather stays nice.

-In my experience, WRL is superior to axs, and equal to di2. But as all high-end groupsets go, they are all good, and a lot comes down to preference.

-You Can customize the shift buttons, I have not played with this at all

-I will click both buttons on my next ride and see what happens, the buttons are sensitive, and I assume whichever one you push a fraction of a second first will deliver the shift.

-Setting up: Our suggestion is to pair all of the parts before mounting to the frame, and follow the pairing order provided in Campagnolo PDF.

-Some videos of the shifting is a good idea, I am out of town riding this weekend, but if I can get to the shop and secure our V4 group I can maybe make this happen. Do people think stand shifting videos would be beneficial?

-Will be mounting a 53/39 crank soon lol I will provide feedback on that as well. Do I dare leave the 10/25 cassette on? :P

Frame is https://www.thepoggio.com/ custom dedacciai scandium - made in italy

looking forward to others thoughts as groups hit the wild, I saw black smith cycle has one, perhaps they are on the board?
One function which im missing so far is the integration of an bike computer by using the new "mode/action button" on the shifters. I read this on serverall publications about the new groupset. Moreover, so far i havent seen any option programm these buttons.

Am i missing something, or has this feature not yet been integrated in the firmware?
I think it was referred to in one of the early tests or articles, but no comment was made by Campag on it. Having just built a Sram AXS bike up I miss that feature too, coming from using Dura Ace for several years. It’s a first world problem though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is planned, not yet executed.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

by graeme_f_k

Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:40 pm
fogman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:04 pm
Are the new 12 Speed C-Links (quick link) available yet? I am only seeing the 13 Speed Ekar C-Links as currently available to purchase.

https://www.campagnolo.com/us-en/super- ... DB12S.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would abe lso interessted in this question. I couldn't found any offer for the new 12s chain.

In addition, does an Ekar chain work with the groupset? I ve heard that the measurements on the Ekar drivetrain are completely different.
No, Ekar 13 chain will not run correctly on rings or sprockets.
12 C-Link is available.
Condor Cycles in the UK (amongst others) are showing stock.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

by graeme_f_k

BCEXP wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:27 pm
Huge Campy fan here. I own two 11 speed mech. bikes. I am super interested in the SRW group and did a little deep diving. One thing that I found really cool is that if the rear battery dies while on a ride, you can physically move the rear derailluer into whatever gear you want to get you home, and it causes no damage to it. I found that to be very cool. As time goes by, I think there are hidden gems in this group that will be found, along with future expansion of it's capabilities. Far too many dunked on it without ever even seeing it in person.
This is an extension of a feature that has been available since 11s EPS, generally called "Ride Back Home" or RBH.

Originally designed to mostly decouple the motor from the derailleur in the event of a crash (hence having a recoupling system that doesn't require the rider to do anything other than freewheel and repeat-operate the upshift lever - because the last thing on your mind as you go to remount & chase the peloton after an off is "I wonder if my derailleur is in RBH mode?"), it's a useful feature for those who forget to charge their shift battery.

In 11 & 12s EPS, the decoupling only happens towards the wheel, so you can't manually align the RD in a gear "harder" than that you were in when the derailleur stopped working. The shift to some extent still works but it loses a lot of accuracy and initially, will only electronically shift into the gears below (i.e. towards the wheel) the sprocket the RD was on when it de-coupled.

In WRL, in a crash the RD will still decouple towards the wheel but it can be manually decoupled in the other direction if required.

In the case of EPS, freewheeling (so that the derailleur is effectively held in one place, laterally) and holding the upshift lever down, will literally push the lead screw through a gate until the coupling, which is basically a spring-loaded ball sitting in a pit in the lead screw, re-engages.

In WRL, you would normally only need to recouple from the saddle in the same way as in EPS but it can be done the other way as well, perhaps in the workstand after re-charging the battery (I can envisage crashes that would push the RD "outwards", so causing decoupling but I think this type of crash would be very rare) as a way of ensuring that you don't snag your hand in the parallelogram or if the chain were particularly dirty (oh, the same of it ...).
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Ol3Tarmac
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:08 pm

by Ol3Tarmac

graeme_f_k wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:30 pm
Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:40 pm
fogman wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:04 pm
Are the new 12 Speed C-Links (quick link) available yet? I am only seeing the 13 Speed Ekar C-Links as currently available to purchase.

https://www.campagnolo.com/us-en/super- ... DB12S.html


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would abe lso interessted in this question. I couldn't found any offer for the new 12s chain.

In addition, does an Ekar chain work with the groupset? I ve heard that the measurements on the Ekar drivetrain are completely different.
No, Ekar 13 chain will not run correctly on rings or sprockets.
12 C-Link is available.
Condor Cycles in the UK (amongst others) are showing stock.
Thanks for the hint as wells as explaintion regarding the ekar compatibility.

Indeed I also found a few offers.. Amog them from an italian store. Offered obviously for a "super record" price.

https://www.gambacicli.com/it/campagnol ... a-12v.html

Ol3Tarmac
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:08 pm

by Ol3Tarmac

Another question arises for me with regard to indoor training purposes. Does anyone knows whether the WRL groupset is downwards compatible e.g.with Chorus cassettes?

Or are there any 3rd party options which you would recommend to install on an indoor trainer??

joeyb1000
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:37 pm

by joeyb1000

Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:54 pm
Another question arises for me with regard to indoor training purposes. Does anyone knows whether the WRL groupset is downwards compatible e.g.with Chorus cassettes?

Or are there any 3rd party options which you would recommend to install on an indoor trainer??
Yes, you can use a chorus 12s cassette,; but, according to Campagnolo, with a 29 tooth maximum. So, an 11/29 should be fine.

misterego
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 pm
Location: Flanders

by misterego

I'm quite satisfied of the performance. Really fast, I would say a way faster than my other Sram Red eTap AXS.
Maybe the wake up procedure timing after a stop still has to improve. Hope for a software update release to fix it.
Attachments
456F4836-5B52-45B0-A902-C99DE1EFF009.jpg

GaBa
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:01 pm

by GaBa

misterego wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:07 pm
I'm quite satisfied of the performance. Really fast, I would say a way faster than my other Sram Red eTap AXS.
Maybe the wake up procedure timing after a stop still has to improve. Hope for a software update release to fix it.
Any issues with wahoo PM pedals? I am deciding between these or assioma's. Well, incoming campagnolo PM crankset might be an option, but I don't like the idea of being an early adopter before some test regarding accuracy are made as well as reliability tested.

robertbb
Posts: 2180
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am

by robertbb

misterego wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:07 pm
I'm quite satisfied of the performance. Really fast, I would say a way faster than my other Sram Red eTap AXS.
Maybe the wake up procedure timing after a stop still has to improve. Hope for a software update release to fix it.
Your digs look like every cyclists dream pad. The pic around the corner with the rear derailleur is *chefskiss*.

You're single right. You must be single. Or your partner rides. Or you found a unicorn.

solarider
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 pm

by solarider

Is that picture on the wall an ironic fat shaming of the new rear derailleur?

Can't imagine too many sales of a picture of the WRL mech in 40 years time!

Lovely bike BTW. Not a crticism, but this is just the type of bike WRL is aimed at. A boutique machine set against the backdrop of a Rocket espresso and a designer interior. Not covered in s##t winning Paris Roubaix, or covered in sweat crossing the finish line at Alpe D'Huez arms aloft. Somebody in the marketing department in Vicenza would be pleased. Tulio would perhaps shed a tear.
Last edited by solarider on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chorus88
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:58 pm
Location: Toronto

by chorus88

misterego wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:07 pm
Image
I like the 1993 Record Rear Derailleur picture (top right corner)!
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

misterego
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:49 pm
Location: Flanders

by misterego

GaBa wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:26 pm
misterego wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:07 pm
I'm quite satisfied of the performance. Really fast, I would say a way faster than my other Sram Red eTap AXS.
Maybe the wake up procedure timing after a stop still has to improve. Hope for a software update release to fix it.
Any issues with wahoo PM pedals? I am deciding between these or assioma's. Well, incoming campagnolo PM crankset might be an option, but I don't like the idea of being an early adopter before some test regarding accuracy are made as well as reliability tested.
None, they're really trusted. Just chose the option you'll fit best but Wahoo pedals are perfectly fine.

rajMAN
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: UK

by rajMAN

Awesome looking bike, glad your enjoying the groupset :D

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Karvalo
Posts: 3604
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

by Karvalo

robertbb wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:10 pm
misterego wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:07 pm
I'm quite satisfied of the performance. Really fast, I would say a way faster than my other Sram Red eTap AXS.
Maybe the wake up procedure timing after a stop still has to improve. Hope for a software update release to fix it.
Your digs look like every cyclists dream pad. The pic around the corner with the rear derailleur is *chefskiss*.
Probably the childhood nostalgia but for me the Tintin rocket is the finishing touch. Like 'I've created a beautiful space but I'm not taking it too seriously' sorta vibe.

Very nice.

Post Reply