Campagnolo Super Record Wireless - Real World Experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ccie6872

by ccie6872

TheBeautifulOne wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:36 pm
So. First 1000kms with SR WRL.

1) the battery life is on par or even slightly better than advertised. I have charged battery three times so far. 50% on flats. 50% on mountains. One charge was before mallorca 312 race. None of the charges were below 40% so i guess 600km of range is quite realistic assumption. Unlikely to be annissue for anyone

2) gear changes. Still impressed by smoothness of the front shifter. No chain drops. In previous SR generation. I had occassionaly experienced a chan drop outwards when switching from small ring to big one under little loads. No misshifts so far

3) i had to micro adjust one rear gear that was little bit louder and sometimes didnt shift smoothly. After adjustment works just fine

4) i got really used to hoods shape, really like them despite initial concerns

5) aesthetics is subjective but i still think previous generation had more flair in it

6) brakes are pure excellence. No rubbing, perfect modulation, no fading during long descents. Best in class

I do believe this is an excellent groupset. Is it worth the sticker price? Probably not. But are we making rational decisions with our bike purchases? Definitely not. 95% of us doesnt even come close to needing a bike that costs anywhere north of 4000€.
Thank you for the feedback.. I am installiing the WRL this weekend, any advice on RD adjustments including the B-screw? I have watched their YT videos..

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

Not sure. I bought the bicycle already equipped with sr wrl. Im a keen bike mechanic, but didnt have to make any larger adjustments so far, so unfortunatelly no advice.

The campag video tutorials are complete mess though. Referencing to older videos/groupset. Lack of complete pdf guides. Utter mess. I would happily pay for a complete manual.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvanT

by EvanT

ccie6872 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:59 pm
TheBeautifulOne wrote:

1) the battery life is on par or even slightly better than advertised. I have charged battery three times so far. 50% on flats. 50% on mountains. One charge was before mallorca 312 race. None of the charges were below 40% so i guess 600km of range is quite realistic assumption. Unlikely to be annissue for anyone

2) gear changes. Still impressed by smoothness of the front shifter. No chain drops. In previous SR generation. I had occassionaly experienced a chan drop outwards when switching from small ring to big one under little loads. No misshifts so far

3) i had to micro adjust one rear gear that was little bit louder and sometimes didnt shift smoothly. After adjustment works just fine

5) aesthetics is subjective but i still think previous generation had more flair in it

6) brakes are pure excellence. No rubbing, perfect modulation, no fading during long descents. Best in class

I do believe this is an excellent groupset. Is it worth the sticker price? Probably not. But are we making rational decisions with our bike purchases? Definitely not. 95% of us doesnt even come close to needing a bike that costs anywhere north of 4000€.
Thank you for the feedback.. I am installiing the WRL this weekend, any advice on RD adjustments including the B-screw? I have watched their YT videos..
Setup wasn't too difficult, just need to connect the derailleurs and shifters and then follow the instructions to set the position on the 6th sprocket. Once I did that, I only needed a micro adjustment on a couple of gears. After that it was just a small adjustment to the b screw.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

ccie6872 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:59 pm
TheBeautifulOne wrote:

The B-screw is now just like 12s mechanical. When in the smallest cog, the section of chain from the cog to the pulley wheel should be just below horizontal. Limitations are that the cage should not contact the chainstay and a sufficient gap should exist in the largest cog.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

TheBeautifulOne wrote:
But are we making rational decisions with our bike purchases? Definitely not. 95% of us doesnt even come close to needing a bike that costs anywhere north of 4000€.
I for one am in this group. None of the stuff I buy is rational. I purchase it because what else am I going to do with the money? I ride because I enjoy getting out to clear my head and feel that I am accomplishing something. Not saying Campagnolo is the best [and it can be applied to any product you ride], but if I have the best equipment/components, the only one to blame for why I am slow is myself.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

TheBeautifulOne wrote:

Thanks for feedback. This is great to know for me thinking about jumping to electric and disc from totally manual.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Has anyone else noticed high spring tension in the rear derailleur's lower pivot?

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

spartan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:57 pm
harsh reality on demand on the new campy groupset.

the virtaully giving them away. the dura-ace version is still full price LOL

Cervelo
R5 Campagnolo Super Record WRL Wireless Bicycle
$7,998.00
$15,999.00

https://www.excelsports.com/cervelo-r5- ... lcE.XYNcng
This example is a Cervelo issue, not Campy issue. I'm not buying a $5000 groupset with that attached to it, let alone for $11,000. Like someone else already highlighted, the price doesn't add up at all.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

joeyb1000 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:28 am
Has anyone else noticed high spring tension in the rear derailleur's lower pivot?
Mine came with the lower derailleur spring in the highest tension level (I assume this was a mistake at the factory). This was causing a lot of drivetrain resistance -- easily felt on the work stand.
To adjust it, you remove the jockey wheels. Inside the upper jockey wheel hole is a torx15 bolt. That removes the cage, and you get access to the three settings.

Notes:
1.put the derailleur in a middle gear first.
2. If you unscrew the bolt about 80% of the way, you will clear the stop and can rotate the cage to a neutral position.
3. This procedure will be the same for 12s mechanical, but not 12s EPS.

morrisond

by morrisond

joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 2:22 pm
joeyb1000 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 2:28 am
Mine came with the lower derailleur spring in the highest tension level (I assume this was a mistake at the factory). This was causing a lot of drivetrain resistance -- easily felt on the work stand.
To adjust it, you remove the jockey wheels. Inside the upper jockey wheel hole is a torx15 bolt. That removes the cage, and you get access to the three settings.

Notes:
1.put the derailleur in a middle gear first.
2. If you unscrew the bolt about 80% of the way, you will clear the stop and can rotate the cage to a neutral position.
3. This procedure will be the same for 12s mechanical, but not 12s EPS.
What are the upsides and downsides of the three settings? Is there a Campagnolo Tech Doc on this? I'm taking my RD apart anyways to put CeramicSpeed wheels on it - so might as well do this if there is a benefit.

MFT

by MFT

Help! Just got my new bike with SRW and after taking the chain off and putting it back on to wax it, the rear derailleur is flashing red. Nothing I seem to do gets it out of this error state. Any ideas? Campagnolo manuals are pretty useless.

Ol3Tarmac

by Ol3Tarmac

I also had some errors after installing the waxed chain. Is the chain already flexible, i.e. did you you broke all the rollers/pins before installing the chain?

Did you try to reset the memory as described in the manuals?

MFT

by MFT

Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:59 pm
I also had some errors after installing the waxed chain. Is the chain already flexible, i.e. did you you broke all the rollers/pins before installing the chain?

Did you try to reset the memory as described in the manuals?
Ha, interesting. No, I didn't break all the rollers/pins first. I tried the reset but couldn't get it out of the red error state. None of the comments (reset or repairing) worked.

Ol3Tarmac

by Ol3Tarmac

Even after i rendered flexiblile most of the links the rear derailleur showed me some errors (short red flashes) and the front derailleur wasn't able to swap the chainring.

However, this auto resolved by spinning the chain and gear changes. In your case the stable red light indicates a motor error.

Does the rear derailleur also goes in the red error state if the tension resp. Chain is removed?

MFT

by MFT

Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:11 pm
Even after i rendered flexiblile most of the links the rear derailleur showed me some errors (short red flashes) and the front derailleur wasn't able to swap the chainring.

However, this auto resolved by spinning the chain and gear changes. In your case the stable red light indicates a motor error.

Does the rear derailleur also goes in the red error state if the tension resp. Chain is removed?
Yes it does - no matter what I do (remove chain etc) it remains in this error state (which is a flashing red light). The only thing that stops the flashing red is long hold on mode to enter the blue->green->red cycle. No matter what I select, back to red flashing error state.

The only other thing I've noticed is that in the blue->green->red cycle, the led seems to flicker. Battery/voltage issue?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com