Campagnolo Super Record Wireless - Real World Experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bobbyc123
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 am

by Bobbyc123

Any more reviews out there?

Love to hear more experience from those who are on wireless.

Particularly around shift performance and speed, compared to Shimano and Sram.

Battery life etc.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Llanberis
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:10 am

by Llanberis

Hi people, quick question - does anyone know if FC-SR012 (CULT) bearings can be fitted onto SR WRL chainset? According to the Spare Part documentation, the later uses a different part number and the diagrams / illustrations look to be different. Seems like a no go, and if so, is it due to BB being different standards? (UT v.s. Pro-tech)
Attachments
IMG_4563.jpeg
IMG_4564.jpeg

TheBeautifulOne
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:53 pm

by TheBeautifulOne

Llanberis wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:04 pm
Hi people, quick question - does anyone know if FC-SR012 (CULT) bearings can be fitted onto SR WRL chainset? According to the Spare Part documentation, the later uses a different part number and the diagrams / illustrations look to be different. Seems like a no go, and if so, is it due to BB being different standards? (UT v.s. Pro-tech)
AFAIK the bearing diameter is different, so they should not be compatible.

Llanberis
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:10 am

by Llanberis

Thank you @TheBeautifulOne, that's a shame. :(

RoadDiscFor22
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:54 am

by RoadDiscFor22

Does anyone know if the FD placement changes (too allow for more or less rear tire clearance) based on the 50/34, 48/32 or 45/29 chainring selection??

I'm thinking about this groupset and using a 2nd wheelset for light to moderate gravel that'd allow for 36 or 38mm rear tire clearance, but I'm not sure if that's possible with this groupset's FD.

GaBa
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:01 pm

by GaBa

I'd be interested to hear about this as well. Have a group waitin at home for more than half a year but still no frameset. Wondering if I could put in on Time ADHX...

RoadDiscFor22
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:54 am

by RoadDiscFor22

GaBa wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:56 pm
I'd be interested to hear about this as well. Have a group waitin at home for more than half a year but still no frameset. Wondering if I could put in on Time ADHX...
FWIW, at about 4'22", this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQwz_-KJZQ4) mentions a 34mm max with a 410mm chainstay.

All sizes of the ADHX have a 420mm chainstay -- giving more clearance along the seat tube, but I would guess(??) not any more clearance by the FD?

User avatar
chorus88
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:58 pm
Location: Toronto

by chorus88

Untitled24R5-WRL.jpg
2024 R5 w/SR WRL
Competitive pricing??
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

PeanutButterCups
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:12 am

by PeanutButterCups

Ex team bikes apparently.

Which team I have no idea?

jomakira
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:01 pm

by jomakira

Llanberis wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:04 pm
Hi people, quick question - does anyone know if FC-SR012 (CULT) bearings can be fitted onto SR WRL chainset? According to the Spare Part documentation, the later uses a different part number and the diagrams / illustrations look to be different. Seems like a no go, and if so, is it due to BB being different standards? (UT v.s. Pro-tech)
Keeping in mind the theme of this thread, 'real-world experience', the answer is most definitely yes. I took receipt of my new SR WRL crankset last week (32-48), together with a new set of CULT bearings. I removed the original bearings from the SR WRL, replaced them with new CULT (FC-SR012), and it spins beautifully. Because I run a BBInfinite on my Cervelo R5, I didn't want to punch out the bottom backet for a Pro-Tech version. Plus, BBInfinite doesn't yet make a BBright version compatible with new Campy Pro-Tech bottom bracket, which has a slight lip to accommodate the SR WRL bearing seals. As an aside, spinning the bearings in my hand, its clear that the SR WRL crankset bearings do not spin as smoothly as the CULT version.

GaBa
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:01 pm

by GaBa

jomakira wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:23 am
Llanberis wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:04 pm
Hi people, quick question - does anyone know if FC-SR012 (CULT) bearings can be fitted onto SR WRL chainset? According to the Spare Part documentation, the later uses a different part number and the diagrams / illustrations look to be different. Seems like a no go, and if so, is it due to BB being different standards? (UT v.s. Pro-tech)
Keeping in mind the theme of this thread, 'real-world experience', the answer is most definitely yes. I took receipt of my new SR WRL crankset last week (32-48), together with a new set of CULT bearings. I removed the original bearings from the SR WRL, replaced them with new CULT (FC-SR012), and it spins beautifully. Because I run a BBInfinite on my Cervelo R5, I didn't want to punch out the bottom backet for a Pro-Tech version. Plus, BBInfinite doesn't yet make a BBright version compatible with new Campy Pro-Tech bottom bracket, which has a slight lip to accommodate the SR WRL bearing seals. As an aside, spinning the bearings in my hand, its clear that the SR WRL crankset bearings do not spin as smoothly as the CULT version.
So just to make sure, since I also have a WRL groupset waiting to be put on a frame once I finally receive it. I should replace original beraings with CULT (FC-SR012) and then find BBInfinite BB compatible with my frame (Tarmac SL8)? I am tinkering with getting a better BB since this build is looking to be "all-out" for me, might as well optimize it a bit more.

diskzero
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:25 pm

by diskzero

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:44 am
Any more reviews out there?

Love to hear more experience from those who are on wireless.

Particularly around shift performance and speed, compared to Shimano and Sram.

Battery life etc.
I have about 2000 miles on Campy Wireless installed on a Chapter2 Toa.

The initial setup was a bit finicky and I was fine tuning the shifting for every position on the cassette. After doing this, I paused and said to myself "This can't be right!". I found that going back and doing the initial calibration with the chain on the sixth cassette cog (as specified by the manual) and then adjusting the B screw, I was able to get clean shifts into each cog on the cassette with no need to calibrate any individual gear position.

The shifter buttons are nice and tactile, but the default settings seemed backward to me, in that the lowest button shifted down and the upper button shifted up. You can use the Campagnolo application to swap the button behaviors. This is all you can do. There are no options to create SRAM-like shifting behavior. The Campagnolo application is also annoying in that you can't connect to the hardware until you create an account and log in. Good luck if you need to modify your settings on the road without a network connection.

As far as I can tell, you can't use the application to set derailluer positions. This is all done using various combinations of button presses on the brake hoods and derailleurs. The blinking LEDs on the various pieces of hardware inform you of the mode. Once you remember the combinations, it isn't hard to do. The most annoying part is waiting five seconds, seven seconds, etc. while holding buttons to get into a certain mode.

Once everything is set up, the gears shift smoothly and the drive train is quiet. The shifting is fine, but to me it isn't as quick and crisp as DI2. It is fast enough, but it doesn't have the magical almost instantaneous aspect the DI2 has for me. Maybe a Campagnolo professional could get it set up to be at the same speed as DI2. I have installed a lot of DI2 systems and they just seem to mostly work and be quite tolerant of things like B screw adjustments, etc.

The hoods are comfortable for my hands and the components look quite nice. People initially posted that they thought the derailleurs looked large, but they look fine on the bike. No one has pointed out that they look big. In fact, most people don't even notice I am using Campy Wireless.

The different battery sizes don't matter to me. I never remove them and I never let a better run down. Placing the recharging cable on the rear derailleur is a bit fiddly. I find that the magnet is a bit weak for the angle the connection is at. The front connect clicks right on.

On a purely practical scale, was it worth the price? Not at all. If I was being purely practical, I would be running Ultegra on all my bikes. I am a bike nerd and a tech nerd and am in a position to be able to afford these components. I'll try to justify part of the purchase by saying I am helping keep the cycling component ecosystem diverse. It would be sad to only have two choices of manufacturers to choose from.

AJS914
Posts: 5498
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm

by AJS914

GaBa wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:49 am
So just to make sure, since I also have a WRL groupset waiting to be put on a frame once I finally receive it. I should replace original beraings with CULT (FC-SR012) and then find BBInfinite BB compatible with my frame (Tarmac SL8)? I am tinkering with getting a better BB since this build is looking to be "all-out" for me, might as well optimize it a bit more.

The other poster changed the WRL bearings so that he didn't have to hammer out the existing bottom bracket in his frame. You have an English threaded bottom bracket on an SL8. Just install the correct English threaded Campagnolo cups. There's no need to figure out a hack to install your crankset.

GaBa
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:01 pm

by GaBa

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:13 am
GaBa wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:49 am
So just to make sure, since I also have a WRL groupset waiting to be put on a frame once I finally receive it. I should replace original beraings with CULT (FC-SR012) and then find BBInfinite BB compatible with my frame (Tarmac SL8)? I am tinkering with getting a better BB since this build is looking to be "all-out" for me, might as well optimize it a bit more.

The other poster changed the WRL bearings so that he didn't have to hammer out the existing bottom bracket in his frame. You have an English threaded bottom bracket on an SL8. Just install the correct English threaded Campagnolo cups. There's no need to figure out a hack to install your crankset.
Great, thank you. Looks like I missed part of the conversation and I am not really a mechanical guy :oops:

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



morrisond
Posts: 1375
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:34 pm

by morrisond

jomakira wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:23 am
Llanberis wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:04 pm
Hi people, quick question - does anyone know if FC-SR012 (CULT) bearings can be fitted onto SR WRL chainset? According to the Spare Part documentation, the later uses a different part number and the diagrams / illustrations look to be different. Seems like a no go, and if so, is it due to BB being different standards? (UT v.s. Pro-tech)
Keeping in mind the theme of this thread, 'real-world experience', the answer is most definitely yes. I took receipt of my new SR WRL crankset last week (32-48), together with a new set of CULT bearings. I removed the original bearings from the SR WRL, replaced them with new CULT (FC-SR012), and it spins beautifully. Because I run a BBInfinite on my Cervelo R5, I didn't want to punch out the bottom backet for a Pro-Tech version. Plus, BBInfinite doesn't yet make a BBright version compatible with new Campy Pro-Tech bottom bracket, which has a slight lip to accommodate the SR WRL bearing seals. As an aside, spinning the bearings in my hand, its clear that the SR WRL crankset bearings do not spin as smoothly as the CULT version.
Doesn't it just take a little time for the Pro-tech BB's to break in and then they will spin smooth?

Post Reply