All Road / Do It All Bikes / Vitus Venon EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

Chris Miller and Jessie Coyle are pretty scathing in their opinions of do-it-all bikes like the Vitus Venon EVO, which has recently won a slew of Bike of the Year awards online.

With clearance for 45 mm tyres and mudguard mounts, I'm thinking of buying a frameset to use as a UK winter bike. I'd probably run it 2x with 46/33 + 10-36 and perhaps 32 mm slicks, but the attraction is being able to throw on a set of wide knobbly tyres and try my hand at some light gravel for the first time. Is there a flaw in this plan?

My main issue is that the M is the right length for me (55 vtt), but the seat tube may be too short for my saddle height (78 cm), while the L is just a bit on the long side.

Any opinions on this particular bike or do-it-all bikes in general?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I have a Caledonia 5 and and a Reilly Spectre for winter. Both purchased this year and have been thoroughly enjoyable for the shitty rural roads I ride around Ireland.
My aero bike has its place but I'm always choosing my 5 as it maybe slightly slower, but it does everything else so well.
My gravel bike rarely gets used now as it feels slow compared to the 5 and Reilly unless it's really rough going.

If I could only have one bike it would be the 5

Nothing wrong with a long seatpost. It's where a lot of comfort comes from.

DaveS

by DaveS

The Yoeleo G21 might do the trick.
Last edited by DaveS on Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

I agree with Steve. My primary and most frequently used bike is a Canyon Aeroad and while it's comfortable and fast there are rides that are much more relaxed, or happen on mostly rough tarmac. This is where my All-Road bikes shine. It used to be a Canyon Endurace, which was recently replaced by a Vitus Venon Evo and a Cervelo Caledonia. The initial plan was to keep one of them but they have been both so fantastic that I kept them both.

Particularly the Caledonia with its Zipp 303 S wheels and their low pressure tires feels so smooth on any kind of poor tarmac and concrete. It also has a low enough stack to still feel like a race bike. If I had to choose one bike I guess it'd be the Caledonia. It can be fast, is always smooth, handles bikepacking, commuting. It's really fun. But it's not a gravel bike. That said the Vitus Venon Evo is also pretty great and actually has the tire clearance to be moprhed into a gravel bike.

My dedicated gravel bike (Canyon Grail) also sees less and less ride time. Same problem that Steve has: It feels so damn slow on the road. It's great on loose terrain though but that heavily depends on seasons and weather conditions. Often it's too dry and loose here, sometimes too rocky. It's hard to find proper gravel roads, hardpack or smooth forest paths. That means the use case for my gravel bike are pretty narrow.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

stan1000

by stan1000

Just jumping in here, was thinking about getting a Vitus Venon Evo for wet weather (autumnal/winter) riding, any mudguards/fenders recommended for this bike?

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I would definitely say that for casual (non-race) riding something like that Vitus sounds very good. I use my "gravel" bike more and more for everything now that I have multiple wheelsets and it has road geo. It's nice to be able to quickly adapt a wheelset for what your ride/roads are going to be.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

bobones

by bobones

[Continuing this thread here to stay on topic].

IMG_5395.jpg

So, I ended up buying a Venon frameset once they came back into stock with a 30% discount in the UK. Although I was underwhelmed when I first unboxed it, particularly with the colour, which is darker than I had envisaged, it's grown on me enough that I will keep it and build it up as a winter bike.

The the paint and finishing is good with BB and brake mounts having been faced with no paint overspray anywhere. I noticed a tiny flaw on one of the decals but it's not worth bothering about and is hardly visible. The bearing seats are very smooth and the frame internals look clean enough.

On initial weigh in, I was disappointed to see that the uncut fork at 516 g is well over the advertised figure of 450g, while the frame measured in at 1100g including hanger, FD mount and cage bolts, so again over the quoted 1000 g, but within an acceptable margin.

I'm too impatient to take my time with a bike build, so I started assembly as soon as I had it out of the box. I pressed in the BB386 cups this morning, and while this was a little noisy as I didn't apply any grease (only locite), the cranks spin very smoothly once in place. I really only have the brakes left to do, and I want to fit some decent mudguards, as one of the main attractions of this frame for me are it having proper fender mounts.

Here's where I'm at so far. I am undecided on polished silver or black PDW 47 mm City guards (tyres up to 35 mm). Silver would go with the logo and be pretty eyecatching, but stealthly black is always a safe bet. I am also contemplating the wider 55 mm guards which support tyres up to 45 mm so I could keep these on if I fit wider gravel tyres. The tyres below are 28 mm GP5000 AS TR, but I have 35 mm black ones on the way.

IMG_5403.jpg
Any thoughts on silver v black guards?

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

It's an interesting frame, and one I'd like to try at some point.
For shitty Uk/ Irish weather it's a compelling do all bike.

I think black guards would look best as they blend in with the wheels more than bright silver.
Are you buying from Condor or somewhere else? I ask as I'm also considering some for my Reilly

bobones

by bobones

Thanks, I'm leaning towards black now too. Yes, Condor seem to be the main stockist here. Now, I need to decide between these big boys or this slimmer version.

Kinesis Fend Off Wide are another less expensive aluminium option. I have the standand width version on another bike, and they're are great guards, but I prefer the mudflaps and black stays of the PDWs.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

The Velo duo look great too, but a little more expensive.

Absolutely black stays 👍🏼

bobones

by bobones

Finished the main build yesterday and I've done a couple of rides. Wow, this thing feels like a race bike: it's comfortable yet lively and springy, sinuous and agile. It's like being astride some live animal! Cut fork came down to 470 g so not too far off published. The whole bike is about 8.4 kg, but that's with heavy wheels, tyres and garmin pedals. In fact, heavy everything. Could easily get this to mid 7s with Ultegra Di2 and some lighter components. It feels light riding it though, and I was grinning througout. It was blowing a gale this morning, yet this thing was planted, but most of all fun. Where the Basso was boring and uninspiring, this is exuberant and extrovert. Anyway, that's enough hyperbolic bullshit :D

IMG_5415-1.jpg
IMG_5411.jpg
IMG_5412.jpg
Got the PDWs fitted tonight. The colour of the bike is so dull, I felt it needed a lift, so I got the silver guards, and they I think look great. It's now more like a cruiser than the race bike above. It was too dark for photos so I'll post something tomorrow.

I enjoyed riding this so much, I've ordered the Discus 40/45s which are 29 mm internal 40 external and heavy. but no more so that the 50s I have on it now. The 35 AS TRs should arrive next week to complete the winter tank.

Matte86

by Matte86

bobones wrote:Finished the main build yesterday and I've done a couple of rides. Wow, this thing feels like a race bike: it's comfortable yet lively and springy, sinuous and agile. It's like being astride some live animal! Cut fork came down to 470 g so not too far off published. The whole bike is about 8.4 kg, but that's with heavy wheels, tyres and garmin pedals. In fact, heavy everything. Could easily get this to mid 7s with Ultegra Di2 and some lighter components. It feels light riding it though, and I was grinning througout. It was blowing a gale this morning, yet this thing was planted, but most of all fun. Where the Basso was boring and uninspiring, this is exuberant and extrovert. Anyway, that's enough hyperbolic bullshit :D

IMG_5415-1.jpg
IMG_5411.jpg
IMG_5412.jpg
Got the PDWs fitted tonight. The colour of the bike is so dull, I felt it needed a lift, so I got the silver guards, and they I think look great. It's now more like a cruiser than the race bike above. It was too dark for photos so I'll post something tomorrow.

I enjoyed riding this so much, I've ordered the Discus 40/45s which are 29 mm internal 40 external and heavy. but no more so that the 50s I have on it now. The 35 AS TRs should arrive next week to complete the winter tank.
Looks good!
If it’d had been on sale in the EU as well I’d have picked one up
The only thing is, as you pointed out, the color.. in the original pics with a brighter red, imho, the frame looks better as I prefer brighter colors
Guessing what the blue looks like out in the flesh

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

I've been tempted by the wheels also. However, when I specced virtually the same build on LB they were less money and 250g lighter.
I don't need them but want them - badly 🤗

I'm interested to see how you get on with the 3Ts

andy4g63

by andy4g63

This is an awesome looking bike. I had my eyes on it for a long time, but then they were out of stock...

I was so disappointed, but a local store gave me a good deal on Tarmac SL8 and that was it...

Not to mention that I have a Ribble CGR SL, which is labeled as gravel, but it's a bike similar to Venon and rode it withe the road wheels and even though heavy, it felt good...

But I couldn't justify buying another bike almost the same as the CGR SL..

@bobones... what size did you need up buying and how tall/inseam are you...

Miller

by Miller

Also @bobones what are the cable routing options on this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com