Mavic "new" carbon compound

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

user83843

by user83843

Anyone here have insider info re: how exactly the newer Mavic carbon pad compound (made by Swiss Stop) differs from that of the Swiss Stop Flash Pro Black Prince? Mavic's legal stance is that BP will damage iTgMax brake tracks (only official Mavic or Swiss Stop Yellow King pads are approved) whereas my mechanic says people have been using BP pads on etched Mavic rims for 10s of thousands of miles without any issues. Friends seem to be polarized on this topic so curious about real world experience... what gives?

I'm mostly on team disc bikes these days but occasionally go with my old weight weenie rim build for mountainous rides/events.

https://www.mavic.com/en-int/carbon-bra ... c0828.html

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Been using BP EVO on my Mavic Cosmic Ultimate 2022 WITH great success, I also used them on the previous generation of the MAVIC CCU 2017 and the 1st versions of this model.
I think they brake great AND probably better than the new Mavic compound that came with wheels.
Also the new Mavic compound makes noise witch is annoying.

The BP EVO pads don't last very long but in my opinion they are best.

Also the only problems that I had on these wheels were using the new Mavic pads... As the they heated the brake track doing some bobbles in resin... Wheel were replaced by warranty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

user83843

by user83843

Interesting, thanks for sharing. BP's (max temp of 171 celcius reached during decel testing) certainly heat up less than Yellow Kings (303 celcius)... I wonder if the new Mavic compound manages heat better than YKs. If hot YK's haven't caused damage to Mavic rims, perhaps the issue is one of pad density/softness.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

elfuinha wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:49 pm
Been using BP EVO on my Mavic Cosmic Ultimate 2022 WITH great success, I also used them on the previous generation of the MAVIC CCU 2017 and the 1st versions of this model.
I think they brake great AND probably better than the new Mavic compound that came with wheels.
Also the new Mavic compound makes noise witch is annoying.

The BP EVO pads don't last very long but in my opinion they are best.

Also the only problems that I had on these wheels was on using the new Mavic pads... As the they heated the brake track doing some bobbles in resin... Wheel was replaced by warranty.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

user83843 wrote:Anyone here have insider info re: how exactly the newer Mavic carbon pad compound (made by Swiss Stop) differs from that of the Swiss Stop Flash Pro Black Prince? Mavic's legal stance is that BP will damage iTgMax brake tracks (only official Mavic or Swiss Stop Yellow King pads are approved) whereas my mechanic says people have been using BP pads on etched Mavic rims for 10s of thousands of miles without any issues. Friends seem to be polarized on this topic so curious about real world experience... what gives?

I'm mostly on team disc bikes these days but occasionally go with my old weight weenie rim build for mountainous rides/events.

https://www.mavic.com/en-int/carbon-bra ... c0828.html
Simple. They are designed with their rims in mind, while BP are a do it all compound. For want of £6 a set I’ll use the ones Mavic supply. That way I’d I have a problem I can go to Mavic with no risk of warranty refusal.

Btw, Mavic have their pads made by Swissstop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk