Carbon seat rails and clamps

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

idickers

by idickers

I'm interested in a Berk Lupina saddle, but the description talks about oval carbon seat rails. Does this type of seat rail require a specific type of clamp on the seatpost? For comparison, I have an older Campy SR seatpost that did not seem to clamp the carbon rails of a Fizik R1 saddle very well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathemagician

by mathemagician

Generally, if your clamp clamps top and bottom then you'll probably be fine. If it clamps the sides of the rails then normally it's specific to round or oval rails. If your current seatpost doesn't clamp your existing carbon rails well, a) it's unsafe, and b) it almost certainly won't be appropriate for the Berk either.

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

idickers

by idickers

If I do need a new seatpost, is there a recommendation for a supplier that makes a 27.2mm diameter seatpost compatible with the carbon rails?

mathemagician

by mathemagician

Most seatposts will be compatible. To make it easy, look for ones that clamp top and bottom. In the attached image, the middle and right seatposts clamp top and bottom. The one on the left clamps the saddle rails from the side. Some side clamping seatposts can accept oval/carbon rails, but may need some kind of replacement clamping part. I find it's easier to just go for top/bottom clamps.Image

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

idickers

by idickers

Hmmm. The clamp on my Campy seatpost looks lie the right pic in your email, it is a top and bottom clamp, so perhaps it will work after all. I tired a Sella Italia SLR saddle with carbon rails and it didn't seem to fit. Perhaps i was just paranoid about snapping the carbon seat rails!