10-year-old bike build input wanted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VerboseVelo

by VerboseVelo

I'm looking general input or advice for building my 10-year-old daughters next bike. She has almost outgrown her current bike. She told me she wants to build a bike from the frame up instead of getting another Woom. While I think another Woom would be the best value and the lightest bike, I want to encourage her joy of cycling. She’s been really into biking this last two years, riding up to 20+ miles at a time.

I’m looking at running a drop bar bike with a flat bar to match the more upright geometry of the kids bikes I’ve looked at. goals are:

1)Super low gearing, 16-17 gear inches in lowest gear (her current bike is 17)
2)A rack or something to attach her backpack
3)Good brakes (he hands cramped when she had rim brakes)
4)Durable, carbon isn’t in the budget plus I worry about her banging into things.
5) $2k budget
6) frame needs to come in 40-42cm

Bars $50
Protaper Junit bars Light cheaper bars targeted at kids

Bar ends $10
proptaper youth grips

crankset $200
Trail Craft,Light, good length for kids, not the cheapest

saddle ???

seat post $110
thompson elite My favorite seat post

headset $40
crane creek s40

Wheels $280
Budget home build Bitext hubs 28h , 650b Kinlin rims, 2.0-1.7 pillar spokes

Tires
Gravel kings In home parts bin

Drive train $150
Advent x I've had good experince with this budget set up

brakes $180
decore hydro 2, possibly 4 piston

pedals $50
1 up small compsite fenders

rack ???

possible frames:
Surly Preamble $550
Surly Disc trucker $799.00
Surly Grappler $750.00
Velo orange Pass hunter $595.00 A local dealer is willing to give me a pretty big discount, but I think bike may be even heavier than the surlys

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JoO

by JoO

Canyon will bring out xxs of endurace al.
That might also be an option

AJS914

by AJS914

Ten year olds can grow pretty fast. You might be buying new frames frequently over the next few years.

My kid just outgrew his 24" wheeled bike. I'm probably going to buy him an off the shelf Trek or Specializes hardtail mountain bike as they are all on sale right now. I read that they oversupplied in response to the covid bike boom.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:44 pm
Ten year olds can grow pretty fast. You might be buying new frames frequently over the next few years.
That's just part of having kids though. My 9yr old has her 7th, 8th and 9th bikes at the moment (MTB, Race BMX and town bike). I don't anticipate that the rate of changing bikes will lessen because we've had to move up for handling reasons as much as sizing most of the way through. Fortunately she is tall and skilled enough to ride small adults bikes, so there are plenty of good used bikes around.

VerboseVelo

by VerboseVelo

And they grow in spurts! My daughter was on her 16" for less than six months. Luckly her younger brother got a lot more use out of it.