New Sram Red

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

new sram red must be lauching summer. distributors are clearing stock at jaw dropping prices.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

spartan wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:15 am
new sram red must be lauching summer. distributors are clearing stock at jaw dropping prices.
What are you seeing? I need a full set.

I can't find the new Force groupset ANYWHERE. Bike24 doesnt ship to Canada but changing the address to Belgium it's a long wait.

spartan

by spartan

visit a shop and ask what deal you can get on a full sram red axs groupset.

g32ecs wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:56 am
spartan wrote:

I can't find the new Force groupset ANYWHERE. Bike24 doesnt ship to Canada but changing the address to Belgium it's a long wait.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

spartan wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:18 am
visit a shop and ask what deal you can get on a full sram red axs groupset.

g32ecs wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:56 am
spartan wrote:

Well, you can get prices on most things incl Specialized bikes...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

tmrace

by tmrace

Does anyone have some new information on what the new Sram Red AXS features might be, what it may look like, or when to expect a release?

Tarmacian

by Tarmacian

Jonas V. Rides with the new red levers. The rest of the group seems 'old'.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:17 pm
Groupsets have gotten boring
True.

Still riding Etap 22 here as well. I can't think of many things to improve on, if any, they made things worse with 12s. Cassettes at 2-3x the cost, decreased front shifting, the PM/chainring integration (really guys?), ugly and heavy cranks, huge shifters, the unexplainable DUB standard and the list goes on.

I'm in the process of building a new frame and likely stick with SRAM, but the newer groupsets don't do anything for me. I don't care if it says Campagnolo, SRAM or Shimano anymore either, they're all the same with slightly different pricing. I like the easy of installation of SRAM and the simple shifting operation, but none of the groupsets get my blood flowing any quicker.

What I would want from SRAM Red:
- Shared standards with brand such as KMC, Sunrace, Shimano (very unlikely)
- Removal of DUB and GXP as a standard, just use Hollowtech or BB30 (very unlikely)
- Full backwards compatibility (better late than never)
- Stop chainring integration (unlikely)
- Smaller shifters (likely)
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Tarmacian wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:05 pm
Jonas V. Rides with the new red levers. The rest of the group seems 'old'.
More likely he's using Force levers with Pro branding.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ypuh wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:43 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:17 pm
Groupsets have gotten boring
True.

Still riding Etap 22 here as well. I can't think of many things to improve on, if any, they made things worse with 12s. Cassettes at 2-3x the cost, decreased front shifting, the PM/chainring integration (really guys?), ugly and heavy cranks, huge shifters, the unexplainable DUB standard and the list goes on.

I'm in the process of building a new frame and likely stick with SRAM, but the newer groupsets don't do anything for me. I don't care if it says Campagnolo, SRAM or Shimano anymore either, they're all the same with slightly different pricing. I like the easy of installation of SRAM and the simple shifting operation, but none of the groupsets get my blood flowing any quicker.

What I would want from SRAM Red:
- Shared standards with brand such as KMC, Sunrace, Shimano (very unlikely)
- Removal of DUB and GXP as a standard, just use Hollowtech or BB30 (very unlikely)
- Full backwards compatibility (better late than never)
- Stop chainring integration (unlikely)
- Smaller shifters (likely)

Uhhh, DUB is very explainable. For the same reason that Hollowtech is 25-1mm, DUB is 30-1mm. “Standard” bearings in that size range come in IDs that are multiples of 5. Reducing the spindle diameter by 1mm means a plastic shim can be place in between, preventing metal-on-metal galling. 30mm soft aluminum spindles sitting on hardened steel races is generally bad.

The 13t jump in front is also just fine. I don’t want to do more than 2 compensation shifts at the RD ever and the 10t cog gives SRAM all the range they need with smaller jumps.

I also suspect the Transmission style thread-on chainrings to come to Red AXS.

ghdana

by ghdana

I've heard rumors that inventory of current Red is too high for them to release the latest version. Like Competitive Cyclist has almost 40 groupsets available for sale. Now factor in every higher end bike shop in the US probably has a few in stock. I could see them waiting until the winter to drop it and not lose a bunch of money on current Red.
7.7kg Allez Sprint
9kg Exploro Ultra

DaveS

by DaveS

I've used nothing but 16T difference at the cranks to greater range for climbing. I set a 2 sprocket limit in multishifts and use thatvfor compensation. I often start a steeper climb standing, then sit and quickly shift to the little ring with no compensation required.

I also don't get the smaller shifter desire. I have quite small hands and I've went fron Campy 12 to sram axs mechanical levers that are small, then on to current force axs with no issues.
Last edited by DaveS on Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeo

by Aeo

SRAM is in a pickle because their current solution for improving rear shifting would not work on a 2x road groupset, as far as I can tell.

I am curious what they will do to compete with Shimano's Hyperglide+ tech
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

bobones

by bobones

Aeo wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:06 pm
SRAM is in a pickle because their current solution for improving rear shifting would not work on a 2x road groupset, as far as I can tell.

I am curious what they will do to compete with Shimano's Hyperglide+ tech
Please be more explicit. What is this solution you are referring to?

IMO, there is nothing significantly wrong with SRAM rear shifting. Yes, Hyperglide+ can be a bit smoother and quieter, but it's all fine nuances and nothing that really matters in the scheme of things.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Haha, wrong with Sram rear shifting!!
It's perfect, super easy to tune with the Sram app.
Even the front mech is easy to setup and again, it doesn't only use a JAW function.
RD also uses a tech keeping the chain from bouncing but with minimal friction.
For some reason there are Sram bashers here.

Only thing that is ridiculous now are the off the shelf bikes prices with AXS RED and previous gen Force.

Talking DUB, i haven't seen any 1mm shims available for DUB axles, i had to source the correct bearings which are
S6806/29 LLB = 29 x 42 x 7 mm
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:22 pm

Talking DUB, i haven't seen any 1mm shims available for DUB axles, i had to source the correct bearings which are
S6806/29 LLB = 29 x 42 x 7 mm
Just one of multiple top hat examples.
https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/dub ... 1405339804
It combine internal sleeve with top hat/spacer, that's why it's specific to your bb width. BB30 road set is what you'd get if you start with BB30 bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com