11/12 speed chain/cassette compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

I have searched, but couldn't find an answer to my specific question. If anyone knows then please help me.

I am currently looking to update my bike. Current ride has 6700di2, anyway, that's not important. What is important is that currently my wife's bike is r8000 with discs, and changing the trainer over from her 142x12 to my 130x10 qr every time one of us wants to ride is very annoying and probably not great for the longevity of the threads in the trainer. I am open to a second hand bike, which would likely be 11 speed and 142x12, and I think I could run a sram chain on our Shimano trainer cassette no problem, but if I was to get a new or newer second hand bike how would things fair for me?
Most of the time the trainer is run in erg mode, so it just sits in one gear and while changing a cassette whenever I wanted to do I fitness test would be annoying it would be less annoying than the current setup.

In short, if I get a 12 speed bike (Shimano or SRAM) could I run that chain on my current 11 speed trainer cassette?

Also if anyone is selling a disc brake tarmac sl6, or maybe sl7 in a 54cm in New Zealand or Australia, or something similar that you think I should consider then let me know.

shotgun1

by shotgun1

Sounds like you're on a direct smart trainier. It shouldn't be an issue, keep it to a gear that runs smoothly, you should be OK. I use my 12s bike occasionaly on a trainer with 11s cassette installed.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Indeed, direct drive on a 1st gen tacx neo. Thank you.

jih

by jih

A 12 speed chain will run ok on an 11 speed cassette, but the 12 speed mech won't index with it. The gears in the middle probably won't work since they'll be the furthest from what it expects (half a gear displaced).

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

jih wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:08 pm
A 12 speed chain will run ok on an 11 speed cassette, but the 12 speed mech won't index with it. The gears in the middle probably won't work since they'll be the furthest from what it expects (half a gear displaced).
Obviously, I only need one gear to work for the trainer in erg mode though.