Replacement qr skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

funk3y

by funk3y

Hi guys one of my hunt skewers took some damage after a crash and needs replacing. I think the weight of the hunt disc qr set was about 120grams.

I didn't have any issue with them and just wondered is there anything better I can upgrade to whilst getting a new set or just get the same set costing £35 delivered. I saw an enve ti set is about 89 grams but look plasticky are they plastic ends? Any good being £100?

Anything else recommend?

Thanks

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Kcnc Z6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nooski

by nooski

If you are not after weight choose internal cam design skewers. Almost all Shimano or higher-end Campagnolo and Mavic. They are much stronger than external ones and better in every way.
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302

abatty

by abatty

nooski wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:37 am
If you are not after weight choose internal cam design skewers. Almost all Shimano or higher-end Campagnolo and Mavic. They are much stronger than external ones and better in every way.
Totally agree. I've found external cam skewers always creak under power. Dura Ace or Ultegra aren't light but work.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I had bad experiences with the KCNC Ti QRs. The front was very short and only allowed a few turns of engagement before closing the cam. Also, the plastic cones broke apart every time you open/close the QR. Terrible quality IME. I use the DT Swiss RWS ones now. They are also titanium but are quite heavy.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

iamraymond wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:32 pm
I had bad experiences with the KCNC Ti QRs. The front was very short and only allowed a few turns of engagement before closing the cam. Also, the plastic cones broke apart every time you open/close the QR. Terrible quality IME. I use the DT Swiss RWS ones now. They are also titanium but are quite heavy.
The KCNC Z6 are Stainless... never had a problem... And aparently hard to find now...

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/pt/kcn ... lsrc=aw.ds

CrossRob

by CrossRob

Can't remember how old this is but quite a few of them are still around.

https://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews ... er-review/

If you're coming from a pair that already weighs over 100g, I'd stick with Shimano. There are safer and more functional ways to save a few grams than skewers.

Nezz0r

by Nezz0r

Stainless Zipp ones. External cam but with a nice metal bushing iso plastic. No Ti axle (win!) but still not too heavy.

Edit: these!
https://www.starbike.com/en/zipp-tangen ... ck-silver/

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

funk3y wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:17 am
Hi guys one of my hunt skewers took some damage after a crash and needs replacing. I think the weight of the hunt disc qr set was about 120grams.

I didn't have any issue with them and just wondered is there anything better I can upgrade to whilst getting a new set or just get the same set costing £35 delivered. I saw an enve ti set is about 89 grams but look plasticky are they plastic ends? Any good being £100?

Anything else recommend?

Thanks
I think the ENVE ones you're referring to are the same as Mavic's upper end skewers. These generally hold very well and are "sensibly" light. I like them.

funk3y

by funk3y

Really I'm not seeing much of an upgrade then over the hunt ones at £35 for 120grams and internal cam then.

Durace are £100 for set and 134grams ish

The enve ones are titanium and £100 88grams but are plastic which is off putting and reviews hit n miss

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I'd second the DT Swiss RWS skewers. I really rate the design of them and they'll save a few grams whilst not being too expensive:

https://sharpwheels.co.uk/tools-accesso ... ad-skewer/

There are titanium ones about which save more weight but at additional cost.

https://www.totalcycling.com/en/gb/DT-S ... 17811.aspx

However, I think there are much smarter places to save weight on the bike than qr skewers/thru axles. So if you don't want to spend more than £35 get the Hunt ones again.

DHG01

by DHG01

Having had many of the above (Tune, Enve,Zipp, Mavic), haven't had any issues. The DA are certainly special and work very well for me; though expensive and heavy.

DT Swiss ones are also special; as you can place the handle where ever you like.

I find ZTTO working very well, light and cheap. €12 and 50 grams.
Attachments
IMG_8725.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Novatec qr skewers. much low cost and no issue using with them for me.