Help me chose sl7 / SSE4 / Soloist / F7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

evangreen

by evangreen

As the title states, looking for advice from members who have ridden some or all of these.

My bike was recently stolen, and with insurance + the cycle to work scheme, I am in the position to chose one of the bikes in the title.

All are ultegra Di2, with the plan to either upgrade wheels now or eventually to a light-weiht and wide internal rim size and one-piece carbon cockpit. All are similar prices £6-7k.

I'm sure all would be great, so really splitting hairs about the small differences in ride quality, handling, stiffness etc.

Supersix Evo 2 (raw)
- I like that this is the most updated design and the comfort / high speed stability offered
- would probably have to change the wheels as a bit porky and slim internal width

Pinarello F7 (black)
- I rode a Pinarello in Mallorca a few years back and the handling, and solid feel of the bike really impressed me. On this trip I rode a cervelo R5 also, and the Pinarello felt leagues ahead descending
- really like the aesthetics and that it comes with the one piece bar stock
- would have to change the wheels for sure
- most expensive (not by much tho)

Cervelo Soloist
- I really liked the looks when I went to check out the SSE, just seems very classy and refined
- great reviews and would not have to change the reserve wheelset as already 24mm internal width and light!
-would have to swap cockpit, which puts in the same price range as the Pina

Tarmac Expert SL7 (white, upgraded w di2)
- great deal currently on sale now for £4k with rival groupset, can sell this and buy di2+ wheelset all through the cycle scheme which makes this one about £800- £1k cheaper than the rest
- worried a bit that the geo is a bit too low and long for my liking, and have heard handling can be ultra reactive - I like a reactive bike but also a bit of high speed stability as well

Interested to hear all of your thoughts and if any have tried a few of these!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

All are great bikes, so you really can't get it too wrong, and while they are all very similar there are some factors to consider....

Local dealer support - Is there a LBS for each of those brands that can help if something were to go wrong? If you were to ever have to get a replacement frame or replacement parts, it helps to have a LBS that sells that brand that you like. For example, my area does not have a Pinareallo or Specialized dealer, so that would drop them down a notch or two for me.

Which bike fits you better? For example the SSE has a little higher headtube that would allow me to ride it with very few spacers (maybe none) compared to the SL7 which is lower, so that would be an advantage to the SSE for me. Of course if you are very flexible and can ride a slammed SL7, you would probably be unhappy with the extra headtube on the SSE. I'm not sure what the geometry looks like on the Pinnarello.

Which bike looks the best to you? I mean, these are all nice bikes, they are all fast and high quality, but sometimes a bike just speaks to you for whatever reason and that means something.

If it were me - I'd likely choose the Cannondale SSE. I'd choose it because I have a LBS that I really like that sells Cannondale, the slightly higher headtube suits my flexibility (or lack thereof), and I like the color of the HiMod a lot. On a side note, can you not get the SSE High Mod 2 in your price range? In the US it's $8,300 which I think is about 6,600 pounds. It has the high end Hollowgram wheels that are only 21 internal but 32 external, which probably is a great fit for 28c tires. It also has a great looking paint job out option with the raw carbon and gold cannondale logo on the downtube.

Either way enjoy your new bike!
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Sock3t

by Sock3t

The soloist is top of my list in that price range.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

evangreen wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:21 pm
As the title states, looking for advice from members who have ridden some or all of these.

My bike was recently stolen, and with insurance + the cycle to work scheme, I am in the position to chose one of the bikes in the title.

All are ultegra Di2, with the plan to either upgrade wheels now or eventually to a light-weiht and wide internal rim size and one-piece carbon cockpit. All are similar prices £6-7k.

I'm sure all would be great, so really splitting hairs about the small differences in ride quality, handling, stiffness etc.

Supersix Evo 2 (raw)
- I like that this is the most updated design and the comfort / high speed stability offered
- would probably have to change the wheels as a bit porky and slim internal width

Pinarello F7 (black)
- I rode a Pinarello in Mallorca a few years back and the handling, and solid feel of the bike really impressed me. On this trip I rode a cervelo R5 also, and the Pinarello felt leagues ahead descending

Cervelo Soloist
- I really liked the looks when I went to check out the SSE, just seems very classy and refined
- great reviews and would not have to change the reserve wheelset as already 24mm internal width and light!

- great deal currently on sale now for £4k with rival groupset, can sell this and buy di2+ wheelset all through the cycle scheme which makes this one about £800- £1k cheaper than the rest
- worried a bit that the geo is a bit too low and long for my liking, and have heard handling can be ultra reactive - I like a reactive bike but also a bit of high speed stability as well

You can look at my Signature as those are the current bikes that I own but I've also ridden every bike you listed although it was the Regular Dogma F but esentially the same frame. The Soloist would be my choice for Performance, Value, easy to maintain and looks amazing as well. The Cannondale is also a great bike and you'd be happy. Pinnarello makes an outstanding bike as well but It'll be pretty heavy if thats something your overly concerned with. The SL7 is boring and you'd have buyers remorse next year when the SL8 arrives.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Mocs123

by Mocs123

skinnybex wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:50 pm
evangreen wrote:

Supersix Evo 2 (raw)

Pinarello F7 (black)

Cervelo Soloist

You can look at my Signature as those are the current bikes that I own but I've also ridden every bike you listed although it was the Regular Dogma F but esentially the same frame. The Soloist would be my choice for Performance, Value, easy to maintain and looks amazing as well. The Cannondale is also a great bike and you'd be happy. Pinnarello makes an outstanding bike as well but It'll be pretty heavy if thats something your overly concerned with. The SL7 is boring and you'd have buyers remorse next year when the SL8 arrives.
Nice! Curious as to what you like better about the Soloist vs. the SSE. Both are options as my next bike, and the Soloist just seems heavier than it should be - all the paint jobs look really heavy and I'd love to see one with just a clear coat.

evangreen

by evangreen

Unfortunently he pricing in the UK is a bit different and hi-mod models start at £8k+...
Hoping that if I go with the SSE I can make up the weight in other areas...

I think the soloist will also end up being a bit more porky than the SSE, but I like that I will get their highest grade carbon layup for the same price... my goal would be to get sub 7kg with a c. 1350g wheelset, berk saddle, one piece bar, and a munch of small savings here and there..

Have my first fit next week and going to learn more about which will fit me best. I'm longer torso, shorter legs and arms, 5' 7.5"

My last bike (stolen) was the SSE3 in a 51 and could never get it just right (but had a slammed stem and cut steering tube). This was a rim brake model that I build up with red etap 11s, hyper wheels, at 6.5 kg.

Currently riding the wife's bike (2016 GAN) which I build up after the theft with enve wheels, full capy SR mech (minus the crank), sitting near 7kg now.
Attachments
A2BF5921-0EBF-40EC-84E1-7C160767DD60.jpeg
ECDA176E-FBA6-4CED-8091-C6ED9B6D65BD.jpeg

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm not sure the Soloist has the highest grade layup, rather the wole line just has one layup to be positioned below the S5 and R5. I think looking at the frame weights, it's probably more in line with a non hi-mod SSE, rather than the hi-mod version. Nothing wrong with that of course, and I realize they charge a lot of money to for the extra 80-100 grams of weight savings to go to that top tier layup.

BTW- I'm sorry about your bike being stolen - theives suck!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mocs123 wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:33 pm
I'm not sure the Soloist has the highest grade layup,
Yeah, it doesn't sit in their top tier line - it's not designated as a -5. Frameset cost also £2k+ less than an R5 or S5 and that's not for no reason (good lord frames are expensive these days).

evangreen

by evangreen

skinnybex wrote:
evangreen wrote:

Supersix Evo 2 (raw)

Pinarello F7 (black)

Cervelo Soloist

How would you compare comfort between the SSE and soloist bother with wide rim 28c tubeless setup?

I've heard a few people say the soloist is harsh, any feedback there?

skinnybex

by skinnybex

evangreen wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:14 pm
skinnybex wrote:
evangreen wrote:

Supersix Evo 2 (raw)

Pinarello F7 (black)

Cervelo Soloist

How would you compare comfort between the SSE and soloist bother with wide rim 28c tubeless setup?

I've heard a few people say the soloist is harsh, any feedback there?
The bike isn't harsh. People have all kinds of opinions on comfort and compliance but usually a huge part of that equation is tire choice and pressure. I'd say the SSE is slightly more comfy. I did my 1st Century ride on the SSE today since owning it and it felt great but I''m also running tubeless Corsa Pro 28mm tires on a 21mm ID wheels so 73-75psi feels amazing. I've done a few cuntury rides on the Soloist and it's almost the same comfort. Most of my long rides are on my Caledonia 5 which is like a magic carpet.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

markdjr

by markdjr

Not a big fan of the ride feel on the Soloist, I'd suggest the Enve Melee. Very similar on paper but the Melee feels much better on the road.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

markdjr wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:23 am
Not a big fan of the ride feel on the Soloist, I'd suggest the Enve Melee. Very similar on paper but the Melee feels much better on the road.
Melee is almost double the price...

pmprego

by pmprego

justkeepedaling wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:12 am
markdjr wrote:
Either I'm on the very extreme of the bell curve or people just don't care what components come in their bike. I always but always have to swap several components from stock (handlebar, stem, seatpost setback, crank size and many time cassette as well). In the end it gets waaaat more expensive to buy a stock bike than one where I can select my components from the start (melee for instance).

Lina

by Lina

pmprego wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:57 am
justkeepedaling wrote:
markdjr wrote:
Either I'm on the very extreme of the bell curve or people just don't care what components come in their bike. I always but always have to swap several components from stock (handlebar, stem, seatpost setback, crank size and many time cassette as well). In the end it gets waaaat more expensive to buy a stock bike than one where I can select my components from the start (melee for instance).
Yes, the Enve Melee frameset is pretty much double the price of the Soloist frameset. And even if it wasn't available as a frame you could buy an entire Soloist for way less than you can get a Melee frame. So even if you chuck all the parts you strip from it stright to the bin it'd be cheaper to buy the Soloist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

Lina wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:32 am
pmprego wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:57 am
justkeepedaling wrote:
markdjr wrote:
Yes, the Enve Melee frameset is pretty much double the price of the Soloist frameset. And even if it wasn't available as a frame you could buy an entire Soloist for way less than you can get a Melee frame. So even if you chuck all the parts you strip from it stright to the bin it'd be cheaper to buy the Soloist.
Ok... I looked more carefully to what were the options presented by the OP and I have to assume that the options there are not the hign end frame versions (which is where enve placed their frame) thus the comparison with the soloist makes sense. In that regard, I guess the sse4 is the better deal given that it offers a hi-mod version that is n the same price range of the non-sworks sl7, soloist or the f7, as aero as the other others and significantly lighter.