Bad shifting + ticking sound. Shimano Ultegra Rear derailleur Di2 8050

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zachspeed

by zachspeed

My Shimano Ultegra Di2 8050 rear derailleur has suddenly started to shift badly. Especially going up but also down. It does not move all the way. I can push it further, than it moves itself with my fingers. And sometimes it does not move at all but makes a ticking sound.

I have read about this elsewhere, but never seen a solution. Is my RD dead, and is a new one the only solution? Our does someone know about a secret tip, to make it work again?

Don´t mention crash mode. It has nothing to do with that. I can manually push it in and out of crashmode withour any problems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frostorama

by frostorama

I had the same fault with the same rear mech. It would not shift to the two smallest sprockets, almost as if it was offset by two shift positions. My head unit indicated it was on the smallest sprocket when in fact it was on the 3rd sprocket. No end of resetting, unplugging, firmware updates or manual movement would correct it. No crash damage and mech hanger was aligned correctly (even tried a different mech hanger). Also when shifted as far down the cassette as possible the rear mech did make faint ticking sounds. Sounds like the same issue you are having.

I needed the bike for an event; so I purchased a new rear mech and the problem was solved. I then raised a warranty claim with Shimano (via the supplying local bike shop) who provided a credit note for the cost of the replacement rear mech. I found a few reports of the same fault on various forums, its a rare failure but it does happen.

Ultegra Di2 has a two year warranty.