Infinity Saddle Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Summary: the ultimate solution for sit bone discomfort, but with some positioning limitations.

This review is limited to the E2 model. Infinity produces several other saddles, but the E2 is best known. The claimed weight is 245 grams, 145 grams with carbon rails. Price is toward the upper end of the market at $327 US. Another $50 US gets you the carbon rail version. There is choice of natural leather or synthetic covering.

Infinity is a saddle brand that is well known among the ultra-cycling crowd. Hang around at the start of RAAM or any other ultra distance event and you will see a few of these relatively strange looking saddles. Strange in that rather than a relief channel of some sort between the sit bones, the Infinity E2 features a massive cut-out that encircles the sit bones allowing them to drop into open space. Pressure on the sit bones is non-existent. For sufferers of ischial bursitis, ischial hygroma (cycling cyst), pudendal nerve entrapment syndrome, saddle sores, etc., this design can mean the difference between continuing to cycle or being forced to quit permanently. In fact, the design is so good in this regard that it is possible to recover from these ailments while riding the Infinity E2. So, whether your riding RAAM, Paris-Brest-Paris, Cent Cols Challenge, or just spending long hours on the bike, I recommend keeping Infinity in mind. (The saddle is also popular among cyclists who have undergone surgery in the perineal area.)

First impressions were sublime. While you might expect a saddle missing so much material in the middle to concentrate pressure on the remaining contact surfaces, that is not the case at all. Rather the sensation is best described as a gentle cupping of the buttocks. Add in some significant suspension from the inherent flex of the minimal saddle shell material, and you have a supremely comfortable ride. On my maiden voyage with the E2 over an hour passed before I realized I had not lifted myself out of the saddle once to de-pressurize my undercarriage, a remarkable thing for someone who as a matter of habit likes to keep the shady side well refreshed. I move around a lot.

Unfortunately, the promise of the perfect comfort experienced on the first few rides was not maintained. With a couple of weeks and 1000km under my 77kg, the fore/aft curvature increased, and the saddle settled into a more pronounced hammock. As the center dropped, the nose of the saddle became more prominent, to the point of creating some excess pressure where you least want it. The sensation of the front of the saddle reminded me very much of various SMP saddles I have tried, not terrible, but far from ideal. Gone also was that extra suspension that was felt initially – presumably the saddle shell was now permanently at the bottom of its flex range.

I prefer an aggressive position and find that to get my torso horizontal, it is necessary to lower the nose of the E2 to near level to achieve perfect comfort. And while I was able to eliminate the excess frontal soft tissue pressure, this amount of forward tilt resulted in an unacceptable amount of weight on my hands resulting in discomfort. (Interestingly, the ultra distance Infinity setups I have seen have the saddle very much in this position, but of course handlebar extensions with elbow rests take sore hands out of the equation.) Ultimately, I was able to find a reasonable compromise between my desire for perfect aero and perfect comfort, but it’s clear that the E2 (like many saddles) cannot provide 100 percent of both.

Observe the first photo below of the saddle set in the “neutral” position (Infinity's terminology). It’s hard to imagine riding this saddle in that position. In my case, it would require my pelvis be dead vertical as if sitting perfectly upright. Reaching the bars would require significant forward bending of the spine. I often see other cyclists in this contorted position. They always seem uncomfortable and struggle to reach the bars. Perhaps it's saddle setup related. I’ve met some that “have never used the drops”. That’s not surprising. Getting horizontal on that would surely drive the nose of the saddle into your navel.
I prefer, as do many others, to have the pelvis and spine in better alignment. The photo above of the “TT” position (also Infinity's terminology) is close to how I have positioned my E2 saddles. This provides good comfort with my torso at about 45 degrees. This also makes an acceptable aero tuck possible, that while not completely comfortable, is sustainable for ten, maybe fifteen minutes at a stretch, certainly long enough for my turn at the front.

The Infinity website addresses this issue of soft tissue discomfort, the desire to lower the nose of the saddle, and the resulting excess pressure on the hands. The website identifies excessive saddle height and a thick chamois as the culprits. Rest assured; I have eliminated these factors. I run a saddle height that is nearly a full centimeter lower than is typically recommended for my inseam, and I experimented with bibshorts ranging from zero padding to Assos C2 with 15mm of padding. The different levels of padding resulted in no difference in soft tissue sensations. If anything, addition padding seemed to “soften the blow”. However, I can see how a poor quality or narrow pad could bunch up and cause a problem.

This requirement to lower the nose of the saddle introduces another potential issue: the design of the saddle results in downward sloping saddle rails almost regardless of saddle position (again refer to the photos above), and this downward slope only increases for riders seeking a more aggressive position. This might seem irrelevant until you consider that many, if not most, seat post clamps are simply not adjustable enough to achieve the rail angle that the Infinity E2 may require. Certainly neither my Parlee seatpost, nor my Roval Alpinist seatpost could be used with the Infinity E2. I suspect that the rail design is a necessity to avoid the rider contacting the head of the seatpost. Perhaps a revised rail configuration can solve the issue.

But choosing the ideal tilt angle of the E2 is not the only challenge. As seen in the first photo, the saddle features a tail that rises dramatically and ends in two points. The elevation of the tail is further enhanced by setting the saddle in the TT position. For every millimeter that the nose is lowered, the tail rises by a similar amount. Even in the neutral position, it is difficult to pass your crotch over the tail of the saddle when your pedal is at 6 o’clock – even with the knee locked. With the saddle in the TT position, literally getting up on the tippy toes and some gymnastics are required. If you like to slide your weight back for high-speed cornering, or perhaps in some braking situations, etc. you are pretty much out of luck. This raises questions about mountain bike and gravel applications where moving behind the saddle is often a requirement. Of course, it’s all doable with the feet at 3 and 9, but the saddle is wider than normal so slipping it back and forth between the upper thighs is still tricky. And the little points at the top of the tail of the saddle don’t help matters. Saggy bibshorts could leave you stuck back there for the rest of the ride. I can see how some additional material beyond the point of the rail attachment is needed to attach the saddle cover (photo below). But if these points could be reduced even a small amount, it would be a big improvement.

Despite the challenges of my experience with the Infinity E2, my feelings about it are relatively simple – it is an indispensable tool if I hope to continue any significant endurance riding. A few years of exceeding 30,000 km per year have left their mark. Prior to riding the E2 I would often experience long lasting saddle contact issues, sometimes from just a few consecutive long rides. This forced me to modify downward my cycling habits, vacations, etc. I was forced to say goodbye to 12-hour epic mountain adventures – the element of the sport I enjoyed most. But with the Infinity E2 there simply are no issues at any distance. The limitations around positioning, and having to buy a new seatpost or two, are small inconveniences. On balance the saddle provides me with good all-day comfort.

For overall comfort, bike handling, and the ability to get and stay horizontal, I still prefer my SQ Lab saddles and keep them on my Factor Ostro (and my gravel rig). But I am careful to avoid consecutive long days on them (or any conventional saddle). And it sure is good to know that should I encounter the slightest saddle contact issue, the Infinity E2 is there to keep me on the road.

Note: all photos are stolen from the internet. If photo owners object, please contact me through WW messaging and I will be happy to compensate you for any damages you may have suffered.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Thoughtful and very well written review!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

X5SAE

by X5SAE

Thanks for that, a very good read! :thumbup:
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts

jurez

by jurez

Thanks for the review, really thinking about trying one but I am over the recommended height of 6'2"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jurez wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:52 am
Thanks for the review, really thinking about trying one but I am over the recommended height of 6'2"
I don't think height has anything to do with how the saddle will fit. It is all about the size of the pelvis and how your ischial tuberosities, etc. slot into the cut out. If you are 6'2" with wide hips and and a big ass, it might be a problem, but not necessarily. It is more about the distance between sitbones and the dimension of your pelvis from front to back. I am an average build for a 6 footer, and I feel that I "fill" the saddle to the max. It is entirely possible that a bigger person might have pelvic anatomy that works with the saddle extremely well. I recommend you contact the company with your inquiry. They might be able to help.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Good review. There is a guy in my club that has one he swears by and he does quite a few 12 hour an 24 hour time trials, so it obviouly works for him. I know my sit bones and Berk saddle don't get along enough for 12+ hours on the bike! Of course my legs scream at that thought anyways.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

jurez

by jurez

I got myself a used one and while its not perfect and am still dialing in the position on the bike it feels quite good.
Did 3 rides of about 2h each for now and am liking it.

c60rider

by c60rider

This looks really interesting for me for someone who's had to resort to cutting pieces out of saddles in an effort to offload a left sided area that has a small lump. Yes it's been surgically investigated and not a lot can be done. So I'm having to explore position and saddle options. Most times when we sit on a saddle it's not the ischial tuberosities we sit on but the pubic rami that go forwards from those spots. Does this saddle off load that area? I can't quite see what is actually taking the body weight on this saddle.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Hmm, I guess it’s only for those with severe sitbone issues. Because saddle discomfort most of the time isn’t anything to do with the saddle.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

c60rider wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:49 pm
This looks really interesting for me for someone who's had to resort to cutting pieces out of saddles in an effort to offload a left sided area that has a small lump. Yes it's been surgically investigated and not a lot can be done. So I'm having to explore position and saddle options. Most times when we sit on a saddle it's not the ischial tuberosities we sit on but the pubic rami that go forwards from those spots. Does this saddle off load that area? I can't quite see what is actually taking the body weight on this saddle.
Yes the saddle does clear the pubic rami depending on how far back you sit on it, though I find it difficult to determine exactly. If you push back right into the pocket, all supporting pelvic bones feel pretty clear. If you ride up front the Pubic rami might come into play a bit - it certainly does for me. Smaller riders might have better clearance. Worth checking with Infinity on this particular issue. Ischial tuberosity's are 100% clear.

The general sensation is that the body weight is supported by a band around the sitbones. The design is pretty clever and the pressure feels incredibly uniform in all areas. Even that little tongue cradles the tailbone and flexes just the right abount. You really don't notice any pressure spots except for the nose of the saddle under certain circumstances as I describe in my review above.

Sorry to hear about the lump. If it is in the soft tissue it should be operable. There are many well known stories from the professional ranks of riders having cysts removed. One of the reasons Tom Dumoulin quit. FWIW If the lump is in the pubic rami area, I can clear my pubic rami on my SQ Lab Ergolux.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:37 am
Hmm, I guess it’s only for those with severe sitbone issues. Because saddle discomfort most of the time isn’t anything to do with the saddle.
Yeah, it's not about saddle discomfort. It's about dealing with the conditions I list in the top of the review. Perfect fit, perfect pedal stroke, correct saddle, etc. and you can still have career ending problems. As above - Tom Dumoulin spent his last season "with a tumor on my buttock". What was he doing wrong?

For some people the tissue between their sitbones and the saddle simply cannot survive long hours of riding. Others could ride a broomstick all day and never have an issue.

If you ever get a chance, try 10 hours per day for 10 days in a row. Or perhaps a 24 hour ride. Paris Brest Paris is over 40 hours. Report back on how you ass fares. Perhaps you are blessed with a super durable ass. What some of us would trade for that....
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

c60rider wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:49 pm
This sounds exactly like what I've been dealing with. Having spent probably over $1000 on various saddles the past few years (custom Meld3D, multiple Terry, Specialized Power, etc.), I'm continually frustrated with it preventing me from enjoying my rides and putting in more miles. It's extremely limiting.

Wish there was a rental program to test out saddles like this that deviate from the norm. Throwing down yet another $350+ just as a quick experiment is tough. Not exactly made of money here. But I'd gladly pay $100 to try it and if it not work, just return it. $100 well spent in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com