Factor / T47 bottom bracket noise

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyb

by tommyb

So I travel to Girona with my Factor Ostro several times a year, it’s obviously much hotter than the UK but I don’t know if that’s a factor? Every single time my bottom bracket starts making knocking noises after a day or so.

Anyone experienced similar??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

What kind of cranks? It could be any of a series of bolts in your drivetrain including chainring bolts, crankarm fixing bolts, DM interface bolts. It could be the spindle sliding due to improper preload. It could be other fitment issues…

tommyb

by tommyb

I agree it could be any of that, like I say though it only happens when I travel. Back home there’s no noise hence thinking it could be heat??
Cranks are THM.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The thread should be titled "THM Crank Noise". And while it's never a bad idea to check that the bb is properly torqued, THM doesn't have the best reputation for silent operation.

And yes, it's possible that a higher temperature could lead to an expansion of certain components that could result in noise. Maybe re-install the cranks in a hot environment.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tommyb

by tommyb

Good shout, I didn’t know about THM having a bad rep for noise. Whilst I love the cranks I can’t put up with the noise so if that’s the cause I’ll be looking for other options - I just figured the bearings would be the cause rather than the cranks.

joejack951

by joejack951

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 3:24 pm
The thread should be titled "THM Crank Noise". And while it's never a bad idea to check that the bb is properly torqued, THM doesn't have the best reputation for silent operation.

And yes, it's possible that a higher temperature could lead to an expansion of certain components that could result in noise. Maybe re-install the cranks in a hot environment.
Carbon fiber in some cases can have a negative CTE: https://dragonplate.com/carbon-fiber-th ... -expansion

Combine that with an aluminum crank axle that expands with higher temperatures and it’s easy to see how the bearing preload could go from perfect to loose at significantly higher temperatures.

I once took an aluminum framed MTB with a steel fork out in very cold temps and it had developed a knock/vibration under braking. Presumably the frame shrunk quite a bit more than the fork from the cold and caused some play. It went away when the temps warmed up.

I’d start by resetting preload and go from there.

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Good luck with spacers and thread locker mate
simply blabla-ing

MagicShite

by MagicShite

check for sleeve creeks.

I think I posted the solution before. Thoroughly grease the contact points between the T47 sleeves with heavy NLGI grease and torque the cups to the stated specs.

doogie2304

by doogie2304

Just an outsdide the box thing - my 3 month old Ostro Vam started creaking on Saturday and I was convinced it was the BB, but then I noticed it didn't do it when I got out of the saddle. Long story short, it was the seatpost creaking. We have had a sudden cold snap here (don't know if it's related...) but the carbon paste on the seatpost had all but disappeared, so I took it out, cleaned it and put on new paste. No more creaking :)
I always look for alternate creak sources...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

doogie2304 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:13 am
Just an outsdide the box thing - my 3 month old Ostro Vam started creaking on Saturday and I was convinced it was the BB, but then I noticed it didn't do it when I got out of the saddle. Long story short, it was the seatpost creaking. We have had a sudden cold snap here (don't know if it's related...) but the carbon paste on the seatpost had all but disappeared, so I took it out, cleaned it and put on new paste. No more creaking :)
I always look for alternate creak sources...
I have a front wheel which started to sound a bit annoying. Only when i pedal!!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.