Where to save weight on Gen 3 SS Evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanG

by RyanG

Hey guys, coming from a rim brake Canyon Ultimate my SS Evo is feeling a bit heavy. Looking to see where I can save weight.

EF Education-EasyPost team bike
Frame/Fork: Super Six EVO Hi-MOD
Crankset: Vision NS Modular Compact Aero (869g)
Groupset: Shimano Dura Ace Di2 9170 11 speed
Brake: Disc (Dura Ace)
Handlebar: Vision Metron
Saddle: Prologo
Wheels: Scribe 42 HD (1550g)

I have EXS Aerover bars on order which will save some weight. I have a Berk saddle I can use. I think there is some weight to be saved with the Vision crankset at 869g. Would it be worthwhile to switch to a Rotor set or look for SiSl2? I would potentially loose the "aero" of this crank. I was a bit impatient with the wheels and could've ended up with a lighter set but these aren't anchors and were ideal dimensions. Also considering a Darimo post. Any other input appreciated. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeathClassic

by DeathClassic

What's your current bike weight and what's your goal? You could easily drop ~700g with a crank and wheel switchout. Are you running tubes or tubeless?

RyanG

by RyanG

DeathClassic wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:49 am
What's your current bike weight and what's your goal? You could easily drop ~700g with a crank and wheel switchout. Are you running tubes or tubeless?
I actually do not have a weight at the moment. Will be getting one of those hook scales soon. I can just tell it's much heavier than my Canyon, though that bike is quite light. I am running tubes, I did buy some Conti race tubes which will be lighter. I've been hesitant to try Latex, lots of mixed info regarding puncture protection which I do value.

Aeo

by Aeo

New generation Dura-Ace brakes are 10-15 grams lighter per caliper

If your saddle is stock, it probably has steel rails, you can probably save 150 grams easily by going for a saddle with a carbon construction.
The weight-weenie and bang-for-buck leader in my mind are the Mixed saddles, you can get them for cheap on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004594187447.html

No rider weight limit either
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

Aeo wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 7:08 pm
New generation Dura-Ace brakes are 10-15 grams lighter per caliper

If your saddle is stock, it probably has steel rails, you can probably save 150 grams easily by going for a saddle with a carbon construction.
The weight-weenie and bang-for-buck leader in my mind are the Mixed saddles, you can get them for cheap on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004594187447.html

No rider weight limit either
Yep, I got a 5D recently and just installed it. Pretty damn good!
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

jayjay

by jayjay

RyanG wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:11 pm
DeathClassic wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:49 am
I actually do not have a weight at the moment. Will be getting one of those hook scales soon. I can just tell it's much heavier than my Canyon, though that bike is quite light. I am running tubes, I did buy some Conti race tubes which will be lighter. I've been hesitant to try Latex, lots of mixed info regarding puncture protection which I do value.
How about TPU tubes?

k33z

by k33z

Yes TPU tubes save you 60/70 gram per tire compared to normal butyl tubes. Best saving you can get :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com