Force AXS D2 vs UDi2 12sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have 403mm chainstays and it works like a charm. No chain have dropped ever using AXS.
This FD have JAW (angling cage pending on where you are at the cassette)
A motor pushing the chain up (large chainring) down (small dito).
IF you should question anything, it might be "HOLD" function time-sequence, from push up to pull back.
I guess this is totally made to really be sure the chain is actually at the tooths and not inbewteen Big and small.
I think thos who have had ETAP 11 speed, might have experienced chain throw over large chainring.
So yes, HOLD is a tiny bit long if you need to nag and pick a bit.

Otherwise i would say, a mechanic having problem with this installation, isn't good.

For OP, please check this Sram AXS installation video clip.
If you have it beside you all the time when you're working with installation, it should work out :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx-kB7rNFJQ

Or you can send me a PM telling me i'm a swine who conveyed you to go AXS ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I’ll add this for what it’s worth, I’ve been using the new SRAM Transmission mountain bike group for about 6 weeks and it is a massive improvement over the prior AXS. Hopefully that tech will appear in the new Red wine that comes out. If it does I may consider switching from Shimano. But until then I’m staying with DA Di2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apr46

by apr46

For what its worth I dont have chain drop issues either with AXS and I am happy with the shift performance I have acheived. My road bike shifts are as good as anything i have experienced with Di2. That said even as someone who has chosen to repeatedly buy Sram, i concede that reliable setup and getting seamless front gear shifts is easier to acheive with Di2.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

That's great to hear about Transmission! Though I don't see buying a mountain bike in the foreseeable future, it's promising for groups.

Back on topic: Went from DA 11sp (mechanical), previously on Red 11sp (mechanical), now on Force AXS. It took a few weeks to get used to the larger hood shapes (it's not the newest Force), but I'm loving the shifting, ease of setup and maintenance, the easy battery checking and charging, and am finding the shift speed/quality/silence to be great. Two dropped front shifts in three months, but that's about what I saw with DA.

Bottom line: you're going to like what you like, and there are no losers here.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

After seeing Jumbo struggle with SRAM during the Giro - I have even less interest in their products.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sock3t wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:06 pm
After seeing Jumbo struggle with SRAM during the Giro - I have even less interest in their products.
They went very experimental with an XPLR setup. I’m guessing the chain was a couple links too long or something like that. They had zero chain drops at P-R with 1x setups.

Also Roglic is going to win the Giro…

pmprego

by pmprego

Sock3t wrote:
What struggle are you mentioning?

apr46

by apr46

Kasper Asgreen drops a chain on the koppenburg a few years ago...nothing...Ethan Hayter drops a chain infamously during the World's TT...must have been the non standard chainrings.

Roglic drops a chain when using a 1x gravel group on a road bike, in an experimental setup Jumbo had only used once before (the day before too) and its the groupset's fault. We have no idea if they modded the groupset or ran standard chainrings, what crank width they ran, etc. But clearly "Sram is at fault" and "Sram groupsets are trash" (and Roglic still won btw). Why is this a thing?

Chaindrops just happen in pro racing, though I would say chaindrops when not shifting are very rare with my experience with AXS, but either way that situation has little bearing on this topic.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not to mention it sure seems like Shimano 12spd is suffering more from chain drops than Shimano 11spd in the pro peloton. Last year we attributed this to using 11spd cranksets with 12spd. This year that excuse is no longer valid.

adrockwe

by adrockwe

apr46 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 11:45 pm
Kasper Asgreen drops a chain on the koppenburg a few years ago...nothing...Ethan Hayter drops a chain infamously during the World's TT...must have been the non standard chainrings.

Roglic drops a chain when using a 1x gravel group on a road bike, in an experimental setup Jumbo had only used once before (the day before too) and its the groupset's fault. We have no idea if they modded the groupset or ran standard chainrings, what crank width they ran, etc. But clearly "Sram is at fault" and "Sram groupsets are trash" (and Roglic still won btw). Why is this a thing?

Chaindrops just happen in pro racing, though I would say chaindrops when not shifting are very rare with my experience with AXS, but either way that situation has little bearing on this topic.
This!

Sock3t

by Sock3t

pmprego wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 10:26 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Sepp's problems with batteries, and of course Primoz dropped chain on a 1x setup.

apr46

by apr46

Sock3t wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:56 am
Sepp's problems with batteries, and of course Primoz dropped chain on a 1x setup.
On a shimano bike he would need to have gotten a completely new bike since the issue was a flat battery, so not sure what your point is. The removable batteries are a plus. Just keep a spare battery and then you never worry about running out or discovering you have a flat battery right as you are about to ride.

You clearly missed this: https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/giro- ... ideo.shtml

Thats Santiago Buitrago dropping his Shimano chain on the same stage.

Not that the chain drop is even relevant to this discussion since its a different RD design as well.

pmprego

by pmprego

Sock3t wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Sock3t wrote:
Love is blind and will always be.

Buitrago drops his chain on a shimano bike just yesterday. Almeida lost the ability to fight for volts catalunya because his derailleur went on holidays when the deciding climb started. Shimano has had a very bad 12spd run so far.

Be happy. Be loved. And ride on.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eTap batteries have been used in the pro peloton for 7 years (longer if you include prerelease testing.) One battery issue in that long seems pretty good to me.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

pmprego wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 8:58 am
Sock3t wrote:
pmprego wrote:
Sock3t wrote:
Love is blind and will always be.

Buitrago drops his chain on a shimano bike just yesterday. Almeida lost the ability to fight for volts catalunya because his derailleur went on holidays when the deciding climb started. Shimano has had a very bad 12spd run so far.

Be happy. Be loved. And ride on.
and the one from Sram is something to write home about, right?

Shimano is not perfect, much less Sram.......and perhaps the most blind with love are those who love Sram...with fewer users they have a higher failure rate than Shimano

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com