Force AXS D2 vs UDi2 12sp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

Are here some people that have a real experience with the new Force D2 groupset? How does it shift, noise level, any problems….

Currently riding with Dura Ace 12 speed but i’m done with al the problems i had (past 1,5 year i had 10 bad cassettes Dura Ace and Ultegra, powermeter is bad, random going into crash modus).

Some people are going to think: whywould you take the Force D2 above the red groupset when coming from a Dura Ace groupset. Simple: 1) I love the looks of the new force groupset more then the older red and 2) it would be a preliminary group set until the new red comes out this summer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

I have a mix... Force levers, force FD, Red RD, Red Chainring/Cranks, Force Cassette, Hope callipers.

The Force D2 FD seems a lot more consistent than Red. The Force cassette is a lot worse, it's noisy and inconsistent. The levers are better, less chunky hoods.

When new Red comes out I'll definitely be interested in the cassette, or a cheaper current gen Red cassette. Otherwise I don't think there's anything I would upgrade.

ODC

by ODC

gloscherrybomb wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:21 am
I have a mix... Force levers, force FD, Red RD, Red Chainring/Cranks, Force Cassette, Hope callipers.

The Force D2 FD seems a lot more consistent than Red. The Force cassette is a lot worse, it's noisy and inconsistent. The levers are better, less chunky hoods.

When new Red comes out I'll definitely be interested in the cassette, or a cheaper current gen Red cassette. Otherwise I don't think there's anything I would upgrade.
What do you mean with the Force cassette is inconsistent?

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Yeah I wasn't sure how to describe it... some cogs are smooth and quiet, some (particularly the 24/27 on my 10-30) seem to be noisy, they 'click' and sound a bit rough. RD is perfectly set up, shifting is smooth and consistent. When I had the Red cassette on it, it was silent.

jlok

by jlok

Black Force cassette lacks the damping plastic ring between the largest and 2nd largest cogs. It is crazy noisy. There are rings between the smallest 3 cogs (and the 3 cogs are mini monoblock) and they are as quiet as Red cassette.

Silver Force cassette improved by shimming the largest cog with plastic ring. Also, the plating on the other cogs helps?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

jlok wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:15 pm
Black Force cassette lacks the damping plastic ring between the largest and 2nd largest cogs. It is crazy noisy. There are rings between the smallest 3 cogs (and the 3 cogs are mini monoblock) and they are as quiet as Red cassette.

Silver Force cassette improved by shimming the largest cog with plastic ring. Also, the plating on the other cogs helps?
I have the silver one with only the 30t black. The dampening rings are down at the bottom, don't think there's any near the top.

jlok

by jlok

gloscherrybomb wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:51 pm
jlok wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:15 pm

I have the silver one with only the 30t black. The dampening rings are down at the bottom, don't think there's any near the top.
I've got 10-28 and the ring between 24-28T is grey, unlike the black rings between 10-11-12-13T.
20240221_063916059.jpg
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

I think that's just the standard plastic spacer rather than the rubber dampening rings?

jlok

by jlok

If it is spacer it is certainly too soft. It's foam like and can be easily deformed if you poke it with sth like a hex key. It is missing from the old black Force cassette.

DaveS

by DaveS

The old black cassettes weren't made for very long. I had two earliest model 10-36 that weren't the least bit noisy. I've got three 10-44 cassettes now. The newest 1251 models weigh about 30 grams more than force, but they shift as well and make less noise in the big ring and 38. Running 2x, I can use the big/big but don't.