Saddles for "skinny bottom"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lina

by Lina

robeambro wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:33 am
Thanks all. I've not tried either SMP or 3D printed saddle. The looks and monetary expense have been a factor keeping me from both, respectively. As shallow as it may be I don't know if I can go past the looks of the SMP (at least not until it's the "saddle of last resort"). I could ask a friend if I could borrow a 3D printed saddle.
If SMP is a problem because of looks maybe you could try ISM first :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

macwatt

by macwatt

I've had the same issues for years bought goodness how much saddles 3D printed from three manufacturers none really offered great comfort. I started to think long and hard what type of saddle is going to work after the several purchases I had made and narrowed it down to a saddle width around 130mm and a fairly flat saddle. For indoors I purchased Selle San Marco Era S2 which instantly increased comfort and for outdoors I purchased Specialized S-Works Power 130mm which I didn't know existed until someone posted on this forum. With these two saddles it's the most comfortable I've ever been on a bike the other very important thing to get right is saddle tilt for myself that's having the saddle tip flat so an overall negative tilt of 2-2.5 degrees if your not comfortable change 0.5 degree at a time.

Sit bone width 95mm
Last edited by macwatt on Tue May 23, 2023 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robeambro

by robeambro

Lina wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:02 am
robeambro wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:33 am
Thanks all. I've not tried either SMP or 3D printed saddle. The looks and monetary expense have been a factor keeping me from both, respectively. As shallow as it may be I don't know if I can go past the looks of the SMP (at least not until it's the "saddle of last resort"). I could ask a friend if I could borrow a 3D printed saddle.
If SMP is a problem because of looks maybe you could try ISM first :wink:
Not much better in the looks department :lol:

To all who are replying: thank you for your replies. I would however urge you to highlight what saddle worked for you only if you have a similar situation as me (ie very bony bottom), otherwise I'll just get more confused, as everyone will recommend different saddles.

oracularleek

by oracularleek

I have same sit bones issues. Tried lot of saddles and ended with lighweight minimum paded carbon saddle from ali. Its hard as brick, but it just Works.
I don't know why. 8+ hours ride is no problem now.

Odoslané z SM-G970F pomocou Tapatalku

Ronin416

by Ronin416

robeambro wrote:Thanks all. I've not tried either SMP or 3D printed saddle. The looks and monetary expense have been a factor keeping me from both, respectively. As shallow as it may be I don't know if I can go past the looks of the SMP (at least not until it's the "saddle of last resort"). I could ask a friend if I could borrow a 3D printed saddle.
There’s other models of SMP which look more traditional. The way the SMP cradles right beneath is totally different than other saddles where you’re having sit bone issues.

I too had an issue with the looks, but now couldn’t care less as it’s my go-to saddle as I just don’t think about saddle fit when I’m riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Looks on a saddle that you sit on can be useless if it does fit right.

otnemem

by otnemem

On the road I'm very comfortable on a Berk Lupina but it's not a saddle I'd put on the trainer bike and I'm soon going to stop by my local Specialized store to get fitted with a saddle for that purpose since I haven't been able to find a comfortable one yet. They'll also give me a 3 months tryout period so if it doesn't work out I can exchange it for another one. As for money, while you do have to have it, what price do you put on the pain and misery you're feeling right now?

JoO

by JoO

Skinny guy here. 176, 62 kg.
I too find most saddles uncomfortable.
My lower back is very inflexible.
Butt is only comfortable if I sit upright like on a town bike.
When I assume a racing bike position my sitbones rotate and are more up in the air.
I now use ism saddles and this is verve comfortable for me.
Pressure left and right from perineum.
Might be worth a try

chris1234

by chris1234

Power Mirror Saddle. Provides excellent cushioning for sit bones. Don't bother with other 3D printed saddles (Fizik, Selle Italia), the sit bone area is rock hard.