Saddles for "skinny bottom"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi all,

I am of a "normal" weight (71kg, 178cm), but my ass is extremely skinny, so much so that I find it a lot less comfortable to sit on e.g. wooden chairs, than an average person, as my sit bones are hard pressed against the surface.
Likewise, I find most saddles on the uncomfortable side. I do manage to ride several hours, but it's never pleasant.

Over time I've tested several saddles, from traditional narrow shapes with no cutout (e.g. Fabric) to a few short nosed ones of different widths (e.g. Pro Logo PAS 143mm, Fizik Argo 155mm, regular Power saddle). I'm currently on a Mimic Power saddle which is a bit more cushy than most men's saddles, and has definitely been decent for now, yet unless I am in a full breakaway position, I often find it a bit too harsh. It's not to do with the width or with soft tissue (which I never had issues with), it's just that the sit bones become somewhat painful.

I would be keen to try another saddle, and I was wondering what type of saddle would be best for someone in my position, and whether it makes sense to go for some of those pressure mapping services. Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lakal

by Lakal

I had a similar problem and the Pro Stealth Offroad saddle was a huge improvement.

jih

by jih

I naturally have the same effect as you, but the only cure I've found is to ride more. The more I ride, the less of a problem it is. I use an S-WORKS romin with the cover and padding removed these days.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

robeambro wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:06 am
Hi all,

I am of a "normal" weight (71kg, 178cm), but my ass is extremely skinny, so much so that I find it a lot less comfortable to sit on e.g. wooden chairs, than an average person, as my sit bones are hard pressed against the surface.
Likewise, I find most saddles on the uncomfortable side. I do manage to ride several hours, but it's never pleasant.

Over time I've tested several saddles, from traditional narrow shapes with no cutout (e.g. Fabric) to a few short nosed ones of different widths (e.g. Pro Logo PAS 143mm, Fizik Argo 155mm, regular Power saddle). I'm currently on a Mimic Power saddle which is a bit more cushy than most men's saddles, and has definitely been decent for now, yet unless I am in a full breakaway position, I often find it a bit too harsh. It's not to do with the width or with soft tissue (which I never had issues with), it's just that the sit bones become somewhat painful.

I would be keen to try another saddle, and I was wondering what type of saddle would be best for someone in my position, and whether it makes sense to go for some of those pressure mapping services. Any suggestions?
Saddle choice i would say is trial and error. Shape is very important.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

It also helps to get a good padded bibs.
Not all pads are the same this pair of bibs has a good thick pad.

https://theblackbibs.com/products/the-b ... s-ultimate

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks all.

Worth noting that:
- I ride plenty, I've been riding for several years, and it's around 6-10h a week every week. So it's not a case of lack of "practice".
- I have good bibs, and I have several different pairs, from Assos to others. I don't think the problem lies here.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

robeambro wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:06 am
It's not to do with the width or with soft tissue (which I never had issues with), it's just that the sit bones become somewhat painful.

Is it to do with sit bones, or the fleshy area around the sit bones becoming painful?

If the latter try a harder saddle. I was surprised to find that I got pain with a normal Specialized Power saddle, but the S-Works Power, which is actually harder, is very comfortable for me. Turns out the sit bones dig in less into the harder saddle and so support the fleshy area around them more. YMMV, but I am guessing that is why some find the Berk Lupina unpadded saddle so comfortable.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

DaveS

by DaveS

I'd try an SMP saddle, like the Stratos, if you're narrow.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Prologo Dimension NDR works well for my skinny butt. The saddle's shape offers good pressure relive and NDR version's extra padding is icing on the cake.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

He said bony, not narrow,

Anyway I second the SMP suggestion, but would try the Blaster or Nymber instead. The Stratos/Glider/Evolution are "outdated" designs.

TLN

by TLN

jih wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:46 am
I naturally have the same effect as you, but the only cure I've found is to ride more. The more I ride, the less of a problem it is. I use an S-WORKS romin with the cover and padding removed these days.
I've tried removing padding from Romin or Toupe (need to check it out) and that didn't work for me (I haven't spend much time adjusting tho). If someone got ideas how to add good minimalistic padding I'd be curious to know.
If someone wants to give it a try, feel free to PM me
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

kode54

by kode54

Have you tried a 3D printed saddle? alot of the 3D printed matrix is to reduce pressure points and adjust to many sitbones.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

glepore

by glepore

Smp is great, but there's two shapes and tilt needs to be perfect. Its a bikefitters dream.
I'm small everywhere, Pro Stealth on all my bikes except one with a Berk Dila.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jlok

by jlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:27 pm
He said bony, not narrow,

Anyway I second the SMP suggestion, but would try the Blaster or Nymber instead. The Stratos/Glider/Evolution are "outdated" designs.
Unsure about why "outdated" would be of lower priority.

Regarding the tilt, I ride the SMP Full Carbon and tilted it downward at the begining. Now it's level and I find it the best, even for climbing. Multi-day toured on it and it's perfectly fine.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks all. I've not tried either SMP or 3D printed saddle. The looks and monetary expense have been a factor keeping me from both, respectively. As shallow as it may be I don't know if I can go past the looks of the SMP (at least not until it's the "saddle of last resort"). I could ask a friend if I could borrow a 3D printed saddle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com