Odd noise from SRAM Force front brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ads

by ads

Recently bought an SL7. I bedded in the brakes text book but when braking hard on the front, a weird kind of rumbling noise occurs, like some gravel being moved around. Thought it was valve rattle at first so taped them up but it's still here. Everything's tight but I did notice the pads can move around a fair bit in the calliper so maybe it's that? Had two other bikes with disc brakes, both shimano but never had this. Any ideas welcome...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I have that setup on my Gravel bike and can't say I've heard anything like that. Are they factory SRAM rotors? Sometimes aftermarket rotors develop weird harmonics. I would start by switching the rear and front pads around and see if it changes anything.

ads

by ads

Yeah factory SRAM rotors. I'll try that and if no difference I'll try switching the rotors too ๐Ÿ‘

I should add I'm running clinchers and race light tubes but don't think it's related to that

robeambro

by robeambro

ads wrote: โ†‘
Thu May 18, 2023 7:48 am
Yeah factory SRAM rotors. I'll try that and if no difference I'll try switching the rotors too ๐Ÿ‘

I should add I'm running clinchers and race light tubes but don't think it's related to that
I get the same when braking hard (though mine feels like a sort of "vibration", as if the rotor was slightly loose), it doesn't happen often otherwise. Doesn't bother me too much so I've not made an effort to diagnose the cause, but if you find out why is it happening please let me know :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I don't get this at all with either SRAM monoblock or two-piece calipers. I do find that braking with the two-piece calipers and pads results in a loud initial "thwack" ... seemingly the pads being slammed forward in the caliper. Only really noticeable in the stand though.

ads

by ads

robeambro wrote: โ†‘
Thu May 18, 2023 8:28 am

I get the same when braking hard (though mine feels like a sort of "vibration", as if the rotor was slightly loose), it doesn't happen often otherwise. Doesn't bother me too much so I've not made an effort to diagnose the cause, but if you find out why is it happening please let me know :lol:
had a little look at the brakes again. it may have been due to a super tiny bit of misalgnment on the caliper (don't think much of specialized's facing) so have tweaked that and the rumble noise seems to have gone or at least isn't as bad. funnily enough i now notice the slight vibration you mention. not sure if this is because i went out without gloves for the first time this year but yeah, can def feel a bit of movement through the bars on heavy braking. i'll keep an eye on it and will report back if there's any developments. i'm inclined to think it's just the shimmying of the pads though as they pick up on slight differences on the rotor surface...

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Thu May 18, 2023 12:36 pm
robeambro wrote: โ†‘
Thu May 18, 2023 8:28 am

had a little look at the brakes again. it may have been due to a super tiny bit of misalgnment on the caliper (don't think much of specialized's facing) so have tweaked that and the rumble noise seems to have gone or at least isn't as bad. funnily enough i now notice the slight vibration you mention. not sure if this is because i went out without gloves for the first time this year but yeah, can def feel a bit of movement through the bars on heavy braking. i'll keep an eye on it and will report back if there's any developments. i'm inclined to think it's just the shimmying of the pads though as they pick up on slight differences on the rotor surface...
That โ˜๏ธis the same a mechanic told me.

The calipers get a little misaligned and they are not 100% parallel to the rotor itself, it causes noise like Brrrrrrr...

But not loud... But no vibration...

I had SRAM rotors and pads , but ditched them for Galfer rotors and Kool Stop red organic pads... Super quiet and great braking.

ads

by ads

Soooooo...

The noise is back. Pads sanded, cleaned with isopropyl and it's back. Only evident when braking hard and coming to a complete stop. Decided I don't give a f*ck and as long as they stop me, it's fine. Buying a couple of new wheelsets with new discs and pads so will see how that goes and report back!

Attermann

by Attermann

is the kind of gobbling sound right before you stop? because that's normal with sram brake disc, my fathers does it, and a couple of riding buddies does the same, and it's only the sram discs that does.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I had turkey gobbles with most of my IceTech rotors and only one set of SRAM Centerline rotors. Eventually the gobble went away on the Centerlines. I donโ€™t really know what causes it, but I assume itโ€™s some combination of rotor contamination, vent shaping and alignment.

ads

by ads

Cheers fellas. Yes right before you stop. This is on paceline rotors with the organic/steel pads. I've now ordered the Centreline rotors for my new wheelsets with the organic/aluminim pads so we'll see if it's consistent across the different products.

I don't mind so much I supppose, as long as I know it's 'normal' for these rotors

ads

by ads

Update...

Switched to the CLX Rapide wheelset today. Popped some SRAM centreline rotors on (as opposed to the paceline I was using) and have kept the same pads. No more turkey gobbles, so seems to have been rotor related ๐Ÿ˜Š

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ads

by ads

Update...

Turkey gobbles are back. Ah f*ck it ๐Ÿ˜‚