23' Alpe D'Huez Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

*all pics will be updated as we go in this first post so its easy to keep track of.

This is my build/info gathering thread that will be updated as we go along over the next 2 weeks to completion. The goal of this bike is to have a unique bike that few others have while being a perfect "do it all" serious road bike (no gravel or off road). I've had many nice bikes but this is the first one im doing from the frame up. I plan on taking this overseas with me when it is finished. Were to? im not sure, looking for a place to retire to or start/buy a bike shop with good riding year round.

-frameset in size large, having them refrain from putting a number of the "time" decals on it from the factory so it looks cleaner/classier with just the main downtime logos.
-DuraAce groupset
-FSA Team crankset, on it for weight savings & looks (plus the DA cranks scratch if you look at them sideways) in 50/34 with 11-30 out back
-Favero Assioma Dual pedals for power since my other bikes DA meter sucks.
-Got a set of tubeless wheels built up that are 55mm which should be a lot less of a fight in cross winds than my dt swiss 62's and are very light. running 30mm as measured high road SL's with tublitos. 160mm front rotors 140 out back
-hilux light weight setback seat post im going to cut shorter should be around 145g
-tried a chinese seat for 100$ and im blown away by the quality, looks better quality than my 400$ slr kit carbino and is very light at 106g while having thick cushioning.

Last edited by theyoungconnoisseur on Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:35 am, edited 11 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ytse

by Ytse

theyoungconnoisseur wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 6:54 pm
-Got a set of tubeless wheels built up that are 55mm which should be a lot less of a fight in cross winds than my dt swiss 62's and are very light. running 30mm as measured high road SL's with tublitos. 160mm front rotors 140 out back
I'm sorry to say but 55mm deep tubeless carbon wheels weighing 1770g a pair is nowhere near light. Unless you have weighed them with tyres, valve stems, tubes and rotors and sealant. They look fantastic, though.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

Ytse wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:35 pm
I'm sorry to say but 55mm deep tubeless carbon wheels weighing 1770g a pair is nowhere near light. Unless you have weighed them with tyres, valve stems, tubes and rotors and sealant. They look fantastic, though.
yeah thats with the 30mm rubber and tubes

TLN

by TLN

Ytse wrote:
I was about to post the same, but wheels pictured are with tires but no rotors.
280gm(560x2) for tire and 30gm per tube (60 for two) makes it 1150 gm wheelset, which is extremely light (a bit hard to believe as well).

I got a wheelset in similar config: CXR1 mounted with GP5k S TR 30c (so valves and tape), no sealant or rotors and it came as 2133gm for comparison.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Ytse

by Ytse

Tue May 16, 2023 8:15 pm
Ytse wrote:
In this case can you share the spec? Rims, hubs, etc. Looks like they have carbon spokes.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

mathemagician

by mathemagician

What's the saddle?

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

Ytse wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:25 pm
Tue May 16, 2023 8:15 pm
Ytse wrote:
In this case can you share the spec? Rims, hubs, etc. Looks like they have carbon spokes.
I'm supposed to do a full review video etc on them for the company, I'll have all that on here after the first ride. they are very, very nice wheels and the ceramic bearings while spinning them in your hands feel like absolute zero friction, you cant tell the wheels are spinning at all.

really need to get some bars/stem on order like tonight so hopefully some people start chiming in as thats gonna be the item holding up the show I bet

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It looks like a Mavic CCU copy. The Mavics were polarizing. Very very snappy, but a bit harsh.
Not sure how carbon spokes affect ride feel overall. I have seen a few wheels are rolling out like Winspace.

Oh, if i found a saddle copy (or version) of Pro Aerofuel i would try it right away.
Only thing i miss with Aerofuel is that it would not have the tail up (it can be seen in the rear end of the shell).
Otherwise this saddle is my favorite among all i have tested and owned (+ 30 saddles)
Sure, my dream would be Wove V8 at 595 USD. With shipping, tariff and tax it would cost me around 1000 USD.
That is crazy!
My most expensive saddle i have is Ceetec C1 fiber cover soft. It's very expensive, but Wove is clearly the most expensive saddle i have ever seen.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Bt248

by Bt248

damn this is exciting, fingers crossed mine will come soon too, shall do a post like you

Yoln

by Yoln

Very curious about these wheels as well. Could you at least share which hub/spokes/rims they used?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

Bazzman1968

by Bazzman1968

I am curious to know why you chose 55mm deep wheels for a hill climb? I do not mean any disrespect just personally I would take lighter weight over aero, good luck with the build.

Baz

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

Bazzman1968 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:04 am
I am curious to know why you chose 55mm deep wheels for a hill climb? I do not mean any disrespect just personally I would take lighter weight over aero, good luck with the build.

Baz
Well, it’s a “do it all” build even tho the name of the bike is the famous climb. It’s gonna be light enough overall anyways for what I consider 200grams well spent for the aero and style points of a 55 vs a 30mm climbing only set or 150grams vs 38s.

Unfortunately, and glad I test them out now instead of waiting till bikes finished….
Swapped the light weight rubber for the heavy puncture resistant new pirellis and put them on another bike. Stiff and ride well, they do however catch a ton of wind, easily as much as my 62mm dt Swiss. I have to imagine it’s because of the thick bladed carbon spokes, not actually the rim profile catching the wind. It’s funny to say but it “feels” like they roll smoother like they are hovering on a magnet instead of a bearing, not that there’s any mechanical or measurable gain but there’s a definite and consistent perception of this phenomenon. overall very nice wheels.

Anyways, there is a major issues w the wheelset and I’ve sent this video to the maker… please see attached YouTube link
it seems like the machining surface of the freehub is wonky causing the cassette face to never sit level and flush. I’m hoping for a super quick resolution with a new one sent expedited or a $ refund to buy a new one here stateside. Never had this issues before ever. Not user error either, swapped it back and forth to other wheels 4x and it is perfect on every other set.

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY-t9wNQOJY[/YouTube]

kroem

by kroem

Yeah, it needs a new "this piece". 😂
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

bobones

by bobones

If that's a 12-speed Shimano cassette, then there's a known issue with wobble on some freehubs that's cured by removing the sticky ring from the back of the cassette and/or fitting a 0.5 or 1 mm spacer behind the cassette.

CasualRider

by CasualRider

I would definetly go with shallow wheels. People focus too much on weight but totaly forget about things like power transfer. Light deep wheels flex more. Less carbon and longer spokes will be my choice even if this set up is heavier. Additinally, definetly go tubeless. You don't have to worry about flats plus benefit of rolling resistance and lower tire pressure. Also, consider bike parts weight in terms of total system weight with full race set up (ideally as %), not just one thing is 10g heavier than the other.

And of course the engine that drives it matter the most. Unless you alrteady above 5W+/kg. Training your body to get by with less liquid (aka sweat less aka heat adaptation) will save you a lot more weight that you think by carrying less liquid on the bike.

With that said I'm not saying you need to get heavy equipment, just need to see where real benefit is. Just my thoughts on this subject as someone who love to race and even sometimes win.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com